What's new
What's new

Metric version of o-ring boss fitting. Whats it called?

gbent

Diamond
I had a plug on a hydraulic motor leak today. The fitting looks like a o ring boss, but is metric. This one is m14×1.5. I have no idea if it is JIC, ISO, DIN, or chinese. What is this type of fitting called, and who sells o ring kits for them?

Find something you like, here are the m14 plugs on McMaster:

Are you talking Dowty compression seal washer or something else, whenever I fight hydraulic motors the ubiquitous dowty rears it’s head, every port
That’s as near to boss I can think
Mark

No, it's just an o ring. Looks like ORB, just metric. It appears the porting tool put to little compression on the oring, so after 20 hours on a brand new machine one little motor decides to shut down the whole affair.

A message told me it's prolly ISO 261, but I haven't found any oring kits yet that mention that standard.

If it was Dowty it would be easier, lots of spares kits for them.

Thank you dstig!

The thread guide called the fittings ISO 6149. I was able to find o-ring kits using that standard. CB, Hercules was the first place I looked. They have metric o-ring kits for what they call "common sizes", but no kits dedicated to "metric port and stud ends", the metric name for what we call O-Ring Boss.

I had a plug on a hydraulic motor leak today. The fitting looks like a o ring boss, but is metric. This one is m14×1.5. I have no idea if it is JIC, ISO, DIN, or chinese. What is this type of fitting called, and who sells o ring kits for them?
made in Taiwan or korea im guessing some import quality stuff.

Your fitting maybe a Komatsu style. They do use a 14 x 1.5 thread. Find a dealer for Komatsu fittings and they maybe able to help.

Depends on where you are coming from. I'd measure the ID of the O Ring fit on the adapter fitting and the OD of the fit on the port and pick an O Ring to match. On the other hand the OP could simply buy a Komatsu fitting with a 14 x 1.5 thread and use the O Ring on that fitting. The hose end wouldn't matter.

Thank you dstig!

The thread guide called the fittings ISO 6149. I was able to find o-ring kits using that standard. CB, Hercules was the first place I looked. They have metric o-ring kits for what they call "common sizes", but no kits dedicated to "metric port and stud ends", the metric name for what we call O-Ring Boss.
It's not often I can be of much help around here, so happy to have a chance to do so!

CB, Hercules was the first place I looked. They have metric o-ring kits for what they call "common sizes", but no kits dedicated to "metric port and stud ends", the metric name for what we call O-Ring Boss.
LOL,
While I might know some obscure insert and holder numbers I do not know what a "O-Ring Boss" is. :wall:
I will not goggle it because that would be cheating. :)

CB, I don't think I've ever seen a O-Ring Boss fitting on a passenger vehicle, so your lack of specific knowledge is quite understandable. Also known as SAE J1926.

It should be noted that in o ring hydraulic fittings ,the o ring is only slightly crushed ......its not dimensioned to fill the groove as its clamped tight.,if the fittings arent metal to metal the o ring will be extruded ...............you may simply have poor quality o rings fitted.

The repair was a new hydraulic motor under warranty. Salesman said they had two identical failures last year. Motor was made by Bucher, so who knows which low wage country made it. My suspicion is the porting tool was made a little wrong and didn't put quite enough crush on the oring. The metric version of the fitting uses a 1mm oring cross section, where ORB is 1/16 cross section. The ORB will give a larger tolerance zone for proper crush with the thicker cross section. If it leaks again I will machine off .002 from the mating surface of the plug to allow slightly more crush on the oring. It looks like a plug, but holds a poppet for the motor over run relief valve.

Back