What's new
What's new

Mori Seiki SL-25Y

Starturn815

Plastic
I am about to purchase a used 1992 Mori Seiki SL-25Y. I am wondering if anybody has experience with this old machine. I have some experience with CNC machining but not much. Are there machines that old, still being used? Searching the threads, I can see that there are still some in operation. Or, will I bring myself into a lot of headaches. This machine sells for $15,500 with some tooling. Thanks in advance for your response.

IMO, price is about double what it ought to be unless in superb condition. In general Mori made really nice machines.

A couple years ago I'd agree with you. Currently that does not sound like a bad price if it is ready to hit the floor making parts.

OP- Lots of shops still running early 80's machines. That Mori is a real good machine if it's in good shape. Condition is everything.

I would say mint condition with lots of tooling it's worth $20K+ today. Average condition with a few leaks and not much tooling it shouldn't be worth $10k, but I think it would sell fast at that price.

What is the Mori SL-25Y exactly, a Y-axis, live-tooled machine from the name I presume?

If so, '92 my be getting a bit long in the tooth for a fairly complex turning center??

At least know your way around a wrench, multimeter, and wiring diagram....

ToolCat

I have one at home. It is a 12 station turret, A2-8 spindle nose, Y axis lathe. This is a true Y axis lathe, not a wedge type. The turret has its own axis that moves without a X move. They are stout box way machines with an intregal spindle. No belts.

I had a sensor go out for C axis position. Had to get Fanuc out to install and set up new sensor. Part was $7k plus labor. I had 2 techs tell me Fanuc had to do it.

Other than that issue it is a tank. Live tool is slow, I think 2000 max RPM. I have not figured out if it is even possible to turn a part with Y not at home. As far as I can tell it is not possible.

Control on mine is MF-6. I think It is a Fanuc 16T that Mori renamed. It is a standard Fanuc for sure, just cant remember exactly which one.

Mine is 1996 and you have to have a block for every tool holder you use. The turret does not have any wedge position for turn tools. They take a block that bolts on to turret with the wedge in the block. Every station can be used for a live tool. To activate Y axis you have to send machine to G30, which is as far away from chuck as possible. Also need to do that to turn off Y axis to be able to turn. Mine does not have much memory, but I don't use cam so I don't need a ton.

This is a true Mori and it is a tank that will hold size and finish as long it is not a turd. I am not sure that a 1992 is the same as mine, but this is my experience with mine.

What is the Mori SL-25Y exactly, a Y-axis, live-tooled machine from the name I presume?

If so, '92 my be getting a bit long in the tooth for a fairly complex turning center??

ToolCat
Yes, it has a Y axes plus X Z

ToolCat

ToolCat
I believe I know my way around with a multimeter and wrench. I do realize there are some technical issues sometimes that need a specialized tech. to resolve, and that runs into $$. and a machine this old sometimes is not worth it.

I have one at home. It is a 12 station turret, A2-8 spindle nose, Y axis lathe. This is a true Y axis lathe, not a wedge type. The turret has its own axis that moves without a X move. They are stout box way machines with an intregal spindle. No belts.

I had a sensor go out for C axis position. Had to get Fanuc out to install and set up new sensor. Part was $7k plus labor. I had 2 techs tell me Fanuc had to do it.

Other than that issue it is a tank. Live tool is slow, I think 2000 max RPM. I have not figured out if it is even possible to turn a part with Y not at home. As far as I can tell it is not possible.

Control on mine is MF-6. I think It is a Fanuc 16T that Mori renamed. It is a standard Fanuc for sure, just cant remember exactly which one.

Mine is 1996 and you have to have a block for every tool holder you use. The turret does not have any wedge position for turn tools. They take a block that bolts on to turret with the wedge in the block. Every station can be used for a live tool. To activate Y axis you have to send machine to G30, which is as far away from chuck as possible. Also need to do that to turn off Y axis to be able to turn. Mine does not have much memory, but I don't use cam so I don't need a ton.

This is a true Mori and it is a tank that will hold size and finish as long it is not a turd. I am not sure that a 1992 is the same as mine, but this is my experience with mine.
Thank You😊 your info. is greatly appreciated.

Back