What's new
What's new

Jobs for Mori Seiki SL-25Y turning center

Starturn815

Plastic
Maybe this is a very broad question with not enough detail.
Are there any jobs available for a CNC lathe with a Y axes with live tooling, like a Mori Seiki SL-25 Y, or can someone lead me to some resources, to answer my question?

You’re trying to buy a machine you know nothing about and now you’re asking if there are “jobs available”?

What are you trying to do? If you want to buy a CNC lathe for a hobby go for it.

Thank You!😊
With regards to having a "Y" axis, there are many jobs that would benefit from that. If you have a machine earmarked and it has a "Y" axis, then that's a bonus. If you're just now looking and asking, "should I get a machine that has a "Y" axis, it depends on how the "Y" axis is achieved. Most have a Wedge Slide way and "Y" is achieved by moving both the X axis and the Wedge slide. This system can be limited when working in the area where the X axis is close to its maximum and minimum diameter range. A more useful feature is for the machine to have Polar Interpolation, which implies that it will have a "C" axis spindle, but perhaps no actual "Y" axis.

One thing that a machine with "Y" can do that can't be done with just Polar Interpolation, is to be able to perform operations, such as drilling, tapping, boring, etc, along the "X" axis with the Tool Offset in the "Y" axis.

Regards,

Bill

With regards to having a "Y" axis, there are many jobs that would benefit from that. If you have a machine earmarked and it has a "Y" axis, then that's a bonus. If you're just now looking and asking, "should I get a machine that has a "Y" axis, it depends on how the "Y" axis is achieved. Most have a Wedge Slide way and "Y" is achieved by moving both the X axis and the Wedge slide. This system can be limited when working in the area where the X axis is close to its maximum and minimum diameter range. A more useful feature is for the machine to have Polar Interpolation, which implies that it will have a "C" axis spindle, but perhaps no actual "Y" axis.

One thing that a machine with "Y" can do that can't be done with just Polar Interpolation, is to be able to perform operations, such as drilling, tapping, boring, etc, along the "X" axis with the Tool Offset in the "Y" axis.

Regards,

Bill
Thank You🙂

Back