What's new
What's new

Multi-Drill Commander 500

rjgogo

Plastic
I picked this up used pretty cheap and I think I have the collets figured out but not sure on mounting this to my mill drill or my drill press specifically the drive pin for the unit. its an easy cheap way to increase consistency and speed things up. Collets seem hard to come by, looking for some decent sources but my google is being hampered by an aircraft of the same name that is much more popular. ;-)
Does anyone have a source for the collets, I am pretty sure they are the 375 collet type, or is there a replacement collet assembly that is newer and cheaper I would be better off getting and replacing the assembly.

Also any tips or sites for getting the clamps to fit the adapters. I can cut the pipe to make them just need a source for the cast clamps for the mill drill or drill press.

Thanks in advance, i'm small and working on getting production on some parts streamlined.

Thanks, I got that sorted but picked up another 2 spindle for $100 and the collets are different on the 600. From what I can find they are some type of Y collet? Any idea where I can get these at a reasonable cost?

Attachments

• IMG_6891.jpg
    IMG_6891.jpg
    638.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6890.jpg
    IMG_6890.jpg
    908.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6888.jpg
    IMG_6888.jpg
    625.3 KB · Views: 1
Okay, last question, I think I have the drive figured out on my drill press but No idea how to connect this to my Jet Mill drill, Is there an r8 collet that holds the drive, Also need a second drive or do I have to make it. having a lot of trouble with this part.

Are you certain they fit the taper properly in the drill head? That wouldn't make sense changing the collet style from the 500 to the 600.

Okay, last question, I think I have the drive figured out on my drill press but No idea how to connect this to my Jet Mill drill, Is there an r8 collet that holds the drive, Also need a second drive or do I have to make it. having a lot of trouble with this part.
You more than likely going to have to make something to work for you.

Are you certain they fit the taper properly in the drill head? That wouldn't make sense changing the collet style from the 500 to the 600.
I got them at two different places and from what I can tell the 600 has a larger capacity and higher RPM. These were cheap and I think they can save me some time on a couple of products. And my on centers will always be perfect without measuring , that is the real allure. the new ones are about 3K with collets and adapters.

The commander stuff is long dead there are new equivalents but not the same. all the CNC stuff replaced the manual but Im still small, I have cnc where I need it but this will work just fine for my needs

Here you go.

More than likely, they are U.E. double taper collets. Problem is, they are obsolete. There are a couple of people out there selling new and used ones out there. Google "Universal Engineering Double Taper Collets" and see what comes up.
Ken
Thanks, I did find that as well, but the part numbers are pre internet so the don't come up in searches. My guess is they never got entered anywhere. i took some measurements, since I finally found a spec for them and they correspond to the Y collects, spent the last hour on this. Maybe the UE is the same? the 375 is the one for my 500 and that HD500 is the one that is on the 600 I have. who knows what happened to it in the last 50 years. for searchers YMMV. eBay had some but still looking for the #24. I think there are a few old folks that know this stuff and that is about it. Hopefully this thread will also help someone else in the future.

Thank you. Thats its they have the 23 and 25 but no 24. Slightly oversizing the hole for 10-24 and ease of threading ive tested and its 100% fine for my application through 3/8" stock, it ain't one or two threads. Found the 1/4" and 3/8" on eBay but no #24. If I have to go to 25 I will. Thank you very much.

Hummm. I always used a No. 25 drill for drilling and tapping 10-24 threads. I can see using a no. 24 drill for tough to tap materials or where the % of thread is not so critical.

true, but i can tap faster without breakage and it only holds a few pounds. they screw in tight and won't strip with a drill. on gauge metal no but on thick it's fine.

Back