What's new
What's new

New to the hobby

Status
Not open for further replies.

PIGPEN YJ

Plastic
Hello all I have a few beginner questions.

I currently have a G8689 Grizzly mill/drill. I am looking to so a quick change MT3 collet holder and collets. Will all the end mills I get fit in these or do I need to get additional sets? I am looking at getting a set of end mills specifically for steel and another for aluminum, or can they all just use the same? Is there an upgrade to give it reverse? I am looking at the one to replace plastic gears to do first.

I also have a South Bend C 9x36, replaceing belts and cleaning this up.

This thread will be locked soon as this is a professional machinists forum. I worked at a shop that had a mill drill. It was used as a heavy drill press and worked fairly well. Made enough chips that they had to be hauled off with a wheelbarrow several times a day. I doubt that it would have been very useful as a milling machine. A Southbend 9C is a useful light lathe and you will find good help in Southbend section for it. I used my 9C to support a couple of Omniturns and other machines with custom tools for several years before I got my HLV-H.

As a hint, the bunch around here are helpful with specific questions, just do not mention Grizzly mill drill in the question.

Collets are not the best end mill holders.

New to the Hobby is not a good title
"Need a M-3 collet holder would be a better title."
likely that mill would be OK for wood and aluminum parts, and not very good for milling steel.

A Southbend 9C is a useful light lathe and with a mill vise added can do some mill work.

URL unfurl="true"]https://www.ebay.com/itm/175534880802?hash=item28deb1b822:g:ZhcAAOSwsU9hI-7d&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoDj%2B4jMqwpGB69Vr1Y5MObrkwy5iR%2Bq78xCfXoNOaCHwjKib%2F5OJOJRNWlAFU1GROfv3DpnfuFr%2FC8nLfoFgECxy7FPF%2FChq5Lkhhy7iqXBFDSrPViBnylU79T13NysVbH42m2S9oS6l5KErTTFlfvitUdYOY8n8ms876C13uFopY7MxBagLvATQps3Y3kcoeUXW8n1ZzDQ73dbq0K9bSf8%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR6Tj0OOiYQ[/URL]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back