What's new
What's new

Not for Sale asking advice

Found these 26" 123's on eBay, $350 shipped and they look like they're brand new, no owners marks. They also have two others for around $250, also in good shape but not quite like these.
View attachment 370972
https://www.ebay.com/itm/374077869415?hash=item5718c74d67:g:SU4AAOSwOKtigT4T
Yeah I was looking around as well. I will let me shop know and see what they wanna do. They might still want a written quote from Starrett to justify the purchase of these. Mine dont have a wooden case. So UPGRADE. LOL.

Have the company buy you a replacement set that meets your satisfaction ( New, slightly used, etc).
Looks like the company just acquired the (OD only ) set.

Let them deal with the ghost that broke them.
Kudos, to your company for offering to make it right.

Did you coworker break off the tip of the outside jaw too, or has it been like that for a while?
If it was already like that then a used set in reasonable condition starts looking a lot more fair.

Don’t know why they rounded off the inside corner. It must of landed on tip and bent, then they tried to bend it back and it broke off. It suck that someone was so irresponsible. I would use some blocks and see if that fix jaw is bent inward.

Sanity check. Settle for used ones in same or better condition. Hard to insist on "brand new" when they were not.

This puppy is a long way from new and in perfect condition. All but a couple of my calipers were bought used, and every one of them in far nicer condition.

They do have finite lives if used and handled often.
Oh absolutely. these are I think close to 30 years old. And handled often. But those little dark areas have been there since I had them. They were certified 2 years ago. And we use them mainly for larger Diameters where most tolerance are +/- .020" but these were accurate to within .001" when certified. So Yeah they were perfect but definitely used about 20 times a month sometimes. Again I will see what the shop says and go from there.

Don’t know why they rounded off the inside corner. It must of landed on tip and bent, then they tried to bend it back and it broke off. It suck that someone was so irresponsible. I would use some blocks and see if that fix jaw is bent inward.
Thats the issue I dont know what they did. I found them like that in my rolling cart. But your guess is as good as mine as to what happened.

A shop we used to use said non-digital vernier instruments were one of the best things out there for his business. Apparently he had a real knack for reworking large parts that were dead on size…..other than being exactly one turn of the micrometer from where they were supposed to be.

OP- Those things look like shit, not like new. Did you ever clean them in 21 years?

I have a set of as-new 40" mitutoyo verniers I use now and then. They were $150 shipped in the wooden box from Ebay a few years ago. I can't see paying much more than that for verniers.

Back