What's new
What's new

Old Monarch need help IDing and Manual

clspeirs

Plastic
I am new to this. I have be given a old Monarch Lathe and am trying to find out what model it is. Additionally, I am trying to see what manual I can get or a recommendation as to one that my be close to this lathe.

Attachments

• Monarch1.jpg
    Monarch1.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 3,966
  • Monarch plate.jpg
    Monarch plate.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 622
Last edited:
If the ways are good, and that bronze bearing spindle set up correctly, that machine will do good work, at the 'hobbyist' level. Its a surprisingly powerful machine for its size, and will rough out steel parts in surprisingly good time.

That said, the early geared head machines do have somewhat of an inherent problem with 'gear marks' from the gearing resonances, in the finish of their workpieces. Much of this can be minimised by adjusting speed, feed, and tool grind to suit the job.

If the original motor and drive is not present, and the machine has been re-powered, check the clutch shaft speed carefully. If the tag for 'X' rpm at the clutch shaft is missing, arrange the drive from the motor for a spindle top speed of 350 to 400.

Straight-cut geared head lathes of that era run best at slower speeds, to minimise resonances in the gear train. (remember, that machine was not designed for use with Carboloy tools)

If you do have a problem with finish quality, remember that you can get, and use, one of the old style Sunnen 'external hone' setups, which will bring your workpieces to an accurate roundness, exact dimension, and high finish.

cheers

Carla

Guessing at the swing, it looks like a 12" Model E. Models of Monarchs are as follows: 14"16" swing over bed - Model A. 18"-20" - Model B. Model D ranged from 22" to 30" swings. And 10" - 12" were Model E. Monarch offered them first as only cone head lathes then around 1913-14 offered a spur gear head option.

There is only a general manual that covers all early head models. John Oder has it on his web site.

John

Just happened to look at the picture of this lathe again & see something that I didn't notice before: There's a housing of some sort at the right hand end of the bed, just off the outer ends of the leadscrew & feed rod. Appears to be a (shift?) lever on the housing.
What is it?

Carla, John, and John....

I've seen a few of these early spur gear head Monarchs (not in person).

I'm curious how the power is transmitted to the input shaft....

I'm ASSUMING these are still "lineshaft" era machines....so, I'm guessing there is some speed reduction involved to run it with modern 1750rpm motors....

SO...would this originally have been a flat pulley drive to the input (likely on the machine when new)?

I'm guessing the speed range is similar to the equivalent coneheads, so 200rpm +/-input????

clspeirs, that a nice lathe you have been given! :smoking:

Chris

most lit. I've seen shows them powered off of the line shaft, but Monarch did have an option for electric motors sitting on the head and driving with silent chain. I believe there was a healthy reduction between the motor sheave and the input sheave.

John

And to supply a sense of scale, the flat belt from the 10hp prime mover to the main lineshaft at Tuckahoe is 6", we use it to run 7 machines (2 lathes, shaper, VTL, radial drill, hacksaw and drillpress) and probably another half dozen in the future. John's lathe will apply a considerable amount of grunt to say the least.

Greg

Back