What's new
What's new

OSG Mega Muscle Drill Video

I don't have enough coolant flow or fixture support for a drill I am using from Dormer, in al, now sandvik R587. Their starting feeds and speeds were mach f'ing booking and mach f'ing booking... I settled at 7000 and 120ipm. Which at a 10.3mm diameter ain't too shabby, less than half their recommended feed, but this is mostly due to the lack of support on the fixture. That being said, I find what they are doing in Iron to be a bit obsurd... ie .024 per tooth.. I don't see how a 6.something mm drill can handle that once it dulls up a little bit...

From the test results I heard of, it will, just not very long. The word is that its as good as any other 3 flute drill under "normal" conditions, but when pushed hard it had extreme margin wear and very short life. The video quality is bad, but look at the finish in the holes. It was impressive, but expensive. If I was to try one, it would be on performance po only.

BTW... I get about 36000 - .406" dia x 1.375" deep holes on the drill I am running in butter metal before the exit burr gets to be too much for the coggsdill. I never would have imagined it would last that long, neither did the salesman. That is almost 50000 linear inches, or a little over 400 minutes in cut. I wonder how it would perform if it had pcd segments...

Husker

Is it just me or companies like dormer "exaggerate" speeds and feeds on their products?

I mean their tools are great, and they actually perform as well as they say.
But one little problem.
Say a drill only lasts for like 10 effin holes. Sure those holes were drilled fast like through butter, but you then spend 2 hours trying to dig a broken drill out. Reduce S/F by like half and get 200 holes outta the same drill on the same material. Then you resharpen the same worn out drillbit by hand and get another 300 holes wtf? i dont believe my hands are that golden.

First of all they keep giving the same surface speed for drills as for endmills, even though on any endmill flute is only in contact with the part maximum half of the revolution.

Secondly their feeds seem to be sucked out of a thumb. Looks like each guy is trying to win the customer by simply increasing their specs on basically the same tool designs.
The other day salesman sold us a tialn coated PM tap for 55-60RC hardened steel, promising 200 blind holes in a 3/4 hardox plate. Good thing we bought four of them 'cuz each tap lasted for exactly 40 holes.

Is it just me?

------------------------------
FSWizard - FREE Advanced Machinist's Calculator

Is it just me or companies like dormer "exaggerate" speeds and feeds on their products?

I mean their tools are great, and they actually perform as well as they say.
But one little problem.
Say a drill only lasts for like 10 effin holes. Sure those holes were drilled fast like through butter, but you then spend 2 hours trying to dig a broken drill out. Reduce S/F by like half and get 200 holes outta the same drill on the same material. Then you resharpen the same worn out drillbit by hand and get another 300 holes wtf? i dont believe my hands are that golden.

First of all they keep giving the same surface speed for drills as for endmills, even though on any endmill flute is only in contact with the part maximum half of the revolution.

Secondly their feeds seem to be sucked out of a thumb. Looks like each guy is trying to win the customer by simply increasing their specs on basically the same tool designs.
The other day salesman sold us a tialn coated PM tap for 55-60RC hardened steel, promising 200 blind holes in a 3/4 hardox plate. Good thing we bought four of them 'cuz each tap lasted for exactly 40 holes.

Is it just me?

------------------------------
FSWizard - FREE Advanced Machinist's Calculator

I guess it depends on your need and how important time is to you.

There's a shop around here with a tool hive that feeds multiple machines. I suppose if you have 20 tools the same loaded up, and you get X holes per drill, you can replace them when they aren't being used and before they break and come out ahead - if you can swallow the cost.

The tool cost may not be expensive, even if you changed it every 200 parts. The question is what does your time cost on that part? That's the whole key to the thing. If you have a high volume production situation where seconds count big time, it could be a real money maker.

I have actually tried one of these in 11.1mm that flat kicked ass, even though I was attempting to run it in cast stainless - which is not at all what they spec if for. I still have the 9.5mm one in the drawer unused.

The problem I had is coolant pressure and flow. The size control and finish was spectacular for something like 14 parts, then started to degrade over the next 6 or so parts - then if failed when it packed up chips in the flutes. I just don't currently have the needed flushing ability to let that drill do it's thing (yes the feed and speed numbers they spec on that video are real!!!) Left everything that was in the hole still in the hole. The part is 3" through, and it would have been well worth the $200 or so each if I could get it to last - I'm working on getting a 1000 psi TSC system currently. I am still looking at running 1000 parts per month, and the less than 5 seconds per hole is VERY attractive when considering that.

Regardless which way it goes, it was a worthwhile test.

Back