What's new
What's new

OT - Mild rant about the price of used cars, and where to even find them?

One underground method of finding a used car for sale is to make the rounds of all the retirement communities in the area with a "Will give your car a good home with a working family" poster with the tear-offs with your phone number.

Most of the retirement communities have a bulletin board and some have an on-line site.

Guarantee if you go to enough of these and ask for permission to post your WTB, you'll get a call.

A friend just bought a ten-year-old Ford in mint condition with less than 20,000 miles on it.

jack vines

A late friend of mine used to spend half of his year in Michigan and half of the year in Florida. He always had super nice luxury cars and one day I asked him where he found them. He said "You follow the hearse around". It was just a figure of speech but the message was that when we die we don't need our cars anymore.

I see it here in Arizona too where a lot of oldsters come to live out their final years. A couple that we know (hetero couple gregg) just bought a 2001 Buick LaSable with under 50K miles from a 99 year old lady in their retirement community.

There are deals out there but they won't come to you. You need to go find them.

How many times has it been posted here that the January 6th riots of last year were just like a bunch of "tourists" in the capitol? When people are so out of touch with reality that they think those trump cult members were tourists you lose all credibility. Same goes for those that believe trumps tens of thousands of lies to us.

Why don't you quote all those posts. You can't as they don't exist. I think you could give Trump a run for his money on telling lies.

Circa mid 80's the far end of the local K-Mart parking lot was like a used car lot. Kid was asking $1200 obo for a pristine 1951 Buick straight V-8, the only issue was badly oxidized paint. It was the weekend so my only access to cash was the $200 limit on the ATM. I asked the barely 18 year old owner if he would take $1000 in an hour or two. He said he would. Grandma willed him her car his first one and he had no interest in a grandma car.
This thing even had the original owners manual sealed in plastic that was never opened. The interior looked brand new. It was driven to church and the grocery store and that was about it. I could only come up with $500, I knew
my dad and step dad usually had a good amount of cash on them. I had to hit them both up for a quick loan.

I get back and the damn kid is sitting in a Baja bug. Some guy had traded him straight across for it 15 minutes earlier. He did not think I was coming back because I was running late. I should have just taken that kid with me.
The Baja bug was worth the kid's full asking price but that damn car was easily worth $3,000+ as it sit.

I have never seen a screaming deal on a car since.

Buick was sealing owners manuals in plastic in 1951? Who knew? My dad was a Buick guy but I don't remember ever seeing a owners manual sealed in plastic. Or for that matter any other GM vehicle and I've bought plenty of new ones myself.

But it's your story so tell it any way you want.

Today....Butter 1 lb. Two days ago was $2.99 for store brand. Today $3.99. Costco, 1/14/2022 was 4 lb $9.69. Today $14.99.

Too expensive to bend over and use it for lube. Joey says it's Putin's fault. FJB

How about Wesson Oil. Maybe that would be a lower cost substitute for your butter wrestling matches. Butter is bad for your health anyway.

Plus Howard Cosell, what a colorful character! His relationship with Ali was pretty amazing, speaking of characters

Definitely sad how all those punches took there toll on Ali at such a young age. He was amazing to watch, he had the hand speed of a featherweight. I was a big Ken Norton fan, too bad they didn't have corrective surgery for a glass jaw. He could not last long with the big punchers of the era.

A late friend of mine used to spend half of his year in Michigan and half of the year in Florida. He always had super nice luxury cars and one day I asked him where he found them. He said "You follow the hearse around". It was just a figure of speech but the message was that when we die we don't need our cars anymore.

I see it here in Arizona too where a lot of oldsters come to live out their final years. A couple that we know (hetero couple gregg) just bought a 2001 Buick LaSable with under 50K miles from a 99 year old lady in their retirement community.

Yeah, but if you find one like that, be sure to get new tires, no matter how perfect they look. Back in the 80's when I split with the 1st wife, I needed a car, and my parents bought what they thought was perfect for me - 12 yr old Buick Regal with 17K miles, belonged to a geezer (probably was my age now) who only used it to visit his wife's grave. Big rash along one side where he encountered a post in the underground garage. Not my sort of car, more an old volvo guy, but I was desparate. First big outing, coming back to Rochester from NYC on rte 81, I had TWO blowouts in quick succession. WTF! Had to be towed off the highway and spend the night in the Bates hotel with my 10yr old daughter. She still talks about it!

Buick was sealing owners manuals in plastic in 1951? Who knew? My dad was a Buick guy but I don't remember ever seeing a owners manual sealed in plastic. Or for that matter any other GM vehicle and I've bought plenty of new ones myself.

But it's your story so tell it any way you want.

It was sealed in plastic and brand new, whether it was done later or originally that way I have no idea. Why you pick at that is comical, but you don't have anything else so go right ahead and keep making a fool of yourself.

I leave yall alone for one day and this is what I come back to, lol.

I've sifted through the ramblings, thank you all who've given suggestions and tips! I'll definitely check out the websites listed, and put in a little more research as well to make sure we know what we want.

I have one more thought for you. If you have a specific vehicle in mind, put an ad on Marketplace and Craigslist that you are in the marked for that specific car. Lots of times things aren't for sale until someone asks.

There was a house next door to our house and it was a rental. Renters moved out just before we left for the winter. Came back and it was still sitting empty. I reached out to the owners who were 88 year old landlords and they were ready to sell it. I made a lowball offer because it was in terrible shape but could be renovated. They took the offer and right now it's probably worth three times what I paid for it.

If I hadn't stopped and inquired about it someone else would have gotten the deal. The early bird gets the worm.

When are you going to go out in public and start saying garbage like above to people's faces? Insulting someone's manhood hiding behind a keyboard. Your wife can film it, I am sure many of us would pay to see it. Is that you "Commode Man"?

Obviously your open bar at work is open already today.citizenf16 vodka bottle.jpg

If you don't think Biden policies and his lack of action on Russia don't effect the economy, your extreme bias has made you blind to the disaster that Biden is. I am just excited to see what will hit $5 first for me, a gallon of gas
or the per pound price of 100# of aluminum. I hold him blameless for the chip shortage, but the price of gasoline
aluminum, and anything Russia exports are on him. The USA afraid of Russia? That is a major embarrassment, "Let's go Brandon."

Is that "lets go brandon" some kind of password that you need to enter the trump cult rallies?

His cult members sure do seem to like using it and that includes you.

Have you found anyone to fight yet? You seem to be really looking for one. I've never met or even heard of anyone using the PM function to go looking for a fist fight until you came along. But I guess I've never really known any true bullies until now either.

Here's your PM in case you forgot what you wrote. You were probably half blacked out from the cheap vodka.

Titanium
Country
UNITED STATES
City, State/Province
MOLINE, Illinois
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given)
Likes (Received)
Default Where can we meet up.
I am looking forward to you insulting me to my face, like you do hiding behind a keyboard. I am long past my prime, but I still can throw a good jab, and have a high tolerance to pain. Let us meet.

It is a trip to read old newspapers and watch old movies with all the bigotry, racial epithets and stereotypes. I can't remember where I saw it, there was a short film, probably made in the early 60's teaching children to be safe.
It came to the subject of the dangers of hitch hiking. It said "Don't hitch hike, you could get picked up by a homosexual." I am like WTF?, it implied that homosexuals molest children. I wasn't aware the word pedophile wasn't coined yet.

You probably saw that on a site that caters to gays.

Continuing with educating Archie.... "Etymology is the study of the history of how words were written, and how their spelling and form changed over time."

"Tard".
And PUUUUUULEASE, STFU!!!

This may shock you but some of us have lives besides spending 24/7 waiting for the next thread here. But if you don't have a life that's your deal, not mine.

Carry on, troll.

Why don't you quote all those posts. You can't as they don't exist. I think you could give Trump a run for his money on telling lies.

You've read them too but your inability to see anything from a different perspective than the trump cult along with your booze habit clouds your view of reality. You can lie like trump and say that you have never seen them but we all know that's a lie too. No wonder you like trump so much.

And I know that you say that you don't like him but some gays also won't admit being gay. I think you're a closet trump cult member. Your probably scared that your "girlfriend" will ditch you if she finds out what you are rally about.

edit: I don't think there is anyone on the planet that can hold a candle to trump when it comes to being a prolific pathological liar.

Yeah, but if you find one like that, be sure to get new tires, no matter how perfect they look. Back in the 80's when I split with the 1st wife, I needed a car, and my parents bought what they thought was perfect for me - 12 yr old Buick Regal with 17K miles, belonged to a geezer (probably was my age now) who only used it to visit his wife's grave. Big rash along one side where he encountered a post in the underground garage. Not my sort of car, more an old volvo guy, but I was desparate. First big outing, coming back to Rochester from NYC on rte 81, I had TWO blowouts in quick succession. WTF! Had to be towed off the highway and spend the night in the Bates hotel with my 10yr old daughter. She still talks about it!

Totally correct about tires. I pull a big fifth wheel and when the tires are 7 years old they get replaced no matter how they look with one exception.

Our last fifth wheel had tires that I had put on it new almost 7 years earlier and we were planning on selling it after we returned from a trip to the Dakota's. Instead of spending upwards of $1,000 for new tires I bought a tire pressure monitoring system for it. When we returned we bought a newer fifth wheel and put the TPMS on the newer one and sold the old fifth wheel.

That TPMS has saved us three or four times from having problems on the highway due to slow leaks.

It was sealed in plastic and brand new, whether it was done later or originally that way I have no idea. Why you pick at that is comical, but you don't have anything else so go right ahead and keep making a fool of yourself.

Because it smells of a lie. That's why. You continually troll me and expect me to not repay the trolling? You must be pretty stupid to think that.

You've read them too but your inability to see anything from a different perspective than the trump cult along with your booze habit clouds your view of reality. You can lie like trump and say that you have never seen them but we all know that's a lie too. No wonder you like trump so much.

And I know that you say that you don't like him but some gays also won't admit being gay. I think you're a closet trump cult member. Your probably scared that your "girlfriend" will ditch you if she finds out what you are rally about.

edit: I don't think there is anyone on the planet that can hold a candle to trump when it comes to being a prolific pathological liar.

I think you could give him a run for his money. You are lying about people calling all the Capitol rioters tourists or you would have quoted the posts. I am sure if they existed you could dig them up like you did with the bottle on the machine picture. How many times are going to post that, Commode Man? Your game is as weak as it gets. If you weren't obviously a long time union worker I would have thought you were a child playing pretend on the internet. The 30 year long union worker story is one of the few of yours that is believable. Your work place attitude and obvious limited skill set give that away. So what were you doing in that GM plant, installing license plate frames or screwing on the tire valve stem caps?

Because it smells of a lie. That's why. You continually troll me and expect me to not repay the trolling? You must be pretty stupid to think that.

Why would I lie about an owner's manual sealed in plastic? Keep looking like a fool. Funny you even admit to being a troll.

Back