What's new
What's new

SB Drill Press Multi-Speed Attachment

South Bend Drill Press Multi Speed Attachment

South Bend Drill Press Multi Speed Attachment South Bend Part No. MSA-102. Not sure how to install and use this attachment for the South Bend Drill Press, any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_9404.jpg
    IMG_9404.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_9405.jpg
    IMG_9405.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 62
South Bend Drill Press Multi Speed Attachment South Bend Part No. MSA-102. Not sure how to install and use this attachment for the South Bend Drill Press, any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

I just bought a 14F-3A drill press with this installed. I read through a lot of the posts here to glean what I could.

Paula has a great write up on her restoration and some info on the MS attachment you have.

See it here: Upgrade for SB Drill Press

Post 35 has pictures to show it mounted, though lots of good info throughout!

ALso see: SB Drill Press Multi-Speed Attachment

If anyone has a lead, i’m still looking for an original SB multi speed attatchment. This drill press restored would compliment my SB 13 greatly. Thanks one and all.

I just bought a SB dp and plan to make my own attachment. I am looking for some measurements if anyone would able to help. I have a safety collar that I plan to alter. The measurements I need are the tickness of the collar. The thickens of the cap.. meaning the top part just under the pulley that sits on the column. The measurements I would like but don’t need are the length of the handle and the measurements needed to reproduce the knurled knob. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh and maybe a photo of the collar removed.. I know I’m asking a lot.
Thanks

Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would suggest:

A) reach out to that eBay seller and ask him if he would share additional dimensions
B) It's merely a lever on an eccentric. I would think it would be easy enough to reverse engineer from those photos.
C) Reach out to Mr. Pete and ask him if he knows or knows someone that has the machine.

I reached out before I even posted this. He wasn’t very helpful. Not even a little. The plan is to reverse engineer but it’s already apart and has paint on it. I was hoping to get a jump on it. Anyway… if anyone can help that would be great.. if not I’ll figure it out once the paint dries[emoji13]
Dan

Wonder if there's enough interest for some enterprising PM-er to make a run of kit parts? It is a simple mechanism, but sometimes there's a market for immediate gratification... I'd be in for one, to round-out my floor-standing, table-elevator SB drill press.

Wonder if there's enough interest for some enterprising PM-er to make a run of kit parts? It is a simple mechanism, but sometimes there's a market for immediate gratification... I'd be in for one, to round-out my floor-standing, table-elevator SB drill press.

There is another forum I look at sometimes that approaches projects like this as a "group" project. They get a tally of how many people want one and then figure out a design. People look at the parts list and see what parts they could make and it gets group fabricated piecemeal. Each person sends the parts they made to the others that are participating and everyone gets one in the end.

I have started a couple of times to make one (mine need is for a 1970 Rockwell 11" DP) but I always stop and start looking at a better DP or a vertical mill instead of finishing it. The hard part for me is the clamping collar. Looks like the design is easily made with tools that I do not have so that's where I stall out.

This is the part where I start scratching my head (given my lack of capability). The one with the handle screwed into it. It's probably cast but I've considered a machined part that copies it, even went as far as picking up some slitting saw blades but stopped at making an arbor.

collar.jpg

collar1.jpg

There is probably a guy/gal out there that could do this easily and contribute but such a person probably has no need for this project. I imagine they already have a Vertical Mill, Horizontal Mill, Drill Mill, etc! LOL

The belt pulleys are easily obtained on ebay in aluminum so those do not need to be made. Although selection and design considerations need to me made.

In a project like this there is plenty to do...

-Design Work - someone makes a simple print so the tolerances and mating surfaces are controlled.
-Material (I bet there are people with scrap that they don't need who could be really key here. Sizing it and prepping it could be a participants contribution.
-Drill Press Post adapter (In my case it may be different than an SB DP) I made one of these already. Didnt locate the feature(s) for the pulley shaft yet though.
-Clamping Collar This is the hardest part to make. Could be split up between multiple persons. The profile could be one person, ID features another and the slits another, then the drilling and tapping someone else if more people wanted to be involved.
-Clamp Handle Assy. (I could do these easily enough)or it gets broken out into work for ~2 people as a threaded shaft and a knurled knob. It appears to be drilled and pinned together.
-Vertical Pulley Shaft. I never went as far as figuring this part out either. There are some bearings and bearing surfaces, maybe circlips and or steps in the shaft.

Couple things not to be overlooked is that the more people that are involved the amount of individual work goes down but the cost goes up since you have to ship your part to the number of participants so they can assemble. Then in the case of the bearings and assembly hardware does each person get that themselves or is that another contributing "task"?

The trouble is that I really doubt there are ~5-10+ people on here that need one since it's such a basic need in a shop that a mature machinist would already have a way to drill at the proper speed. I don't know how other forums handle this stuff but if there are only a few participants maybe everyone makes a couple extra parts and then the person(s) who makes the most difficult part(s) gets an extra that they could sell as an incentive? Maybe everyone gets 2 if there are only a few people interested? All for discussion though. I think it would be badass to have a group sourced multi speed attachment on my nice but not overly functional drill press. Maybe someone can engrave some custom info on it to get even more people involved but then...more shipping!!!! If 10 people were involved it would cost me 85 bucks in shipping to use flat rate boxes. Not expensive but not free either.

My plan was to get the proper measurements and build it. I would make a post for others to see and they could do it too.

Some of the parts are more complicated than they have to be.
-The collar doesn’t have to have a slit in it. I’ve never seen this on any other attachment. Delta uses grub screw.
-The bearings in the pulley really aren’t 100 needed either. Many well built machines use bushing and they pulley would work just fine with bushings.

The forum mentioned above is great and I’ve seen that done several times. I don’t know if that would happen here but I would be happy to take part in it.

Some of the parts are more complicated than they have to be.
-The collar doesn’t have to have a slit in it. I’ve never seen this on any other attachment. Delta uses grub screw.
-The bearings in the pulley really aren’t 100 needed either. Many well built machines use bushing and they pulley would work just fine with bushings.

The forum mentioned above is great and I’ve seen that done several times. I don’t know if that would happen here but I would be happy to take part in it.

I know that a functional part wouldn't have to be as elegant as the SB part but usually I go for the aesthetics since I have time.

I think that the horizontal slit is there so that the upper part of the casting stays at a constant diameter regardless of the tension on the clamp. The clamp opens and closes and changes diameter in doing so.

That's my take on its function, but you are probably right that the design is overkill.

Steve

I made the part that goes into the column today. I
made all of it too long so I can trim
It to size.

If Anyone is willing to give some measurements I would be in your debt. If someone makes a drawing I’ll give you my second born.. seriously he a genius.. great to have around the shop.
Dan

Hi Dan,

I just noticed this thread. I have a multi-speed attachment I can get dimensions from. That is, if you're willing to wait a day or two (still working full-time.)

Paula

Hi Dan,

I just noticed this thread. I have a multi-speed attachment I can get dimensions from. That is, if you're willing to wait a day or two (still working full-time.)

Paula

Thank you!!! I would really appreciate that. I know there are others who would benefit from that. I’m trying to make as orginal looking as possible so right now I’m making everything bigger than it should be to turn down later. I have a friend who is good as CAD so I’ll have him make a nice print from everyone to use. Thanks again
Dan.

Back