What's new
What's new

Schaublin 13 High Speed Head Lube

ow2knives

Cast Iron
I have just aquired a very nice high speed head for my Schaublin 13. I cannot find any info with regard to the lubrication of the long sliding gear (which is essentially part of the spindle) and the drive pinion. I have a comprehensive instructional manual that describes exactly how to dissasemble and service the spindle but does not mention the lube of these gears. I assume some sort of grease. The sliding gear runs up to 6K rpm so it has to be something pretty sticky.

Any ideas?

Owen Wood

I also have the same head. I would love to get a copy of the manual you have
if possible. I only have the blow up showing the parts.
The sliding gear is lubricated from the oil fitting at the top. The entire
unit takes the "light" oil (Mobil DTE light) which is the same as most of the mill's
oil fittings, according to the lubrication chart I have.

Ed P

Hi Ed,

Do you have the old style head - castings all rounded. Cover on top rounded with an oil fitting immediately above the sliding gear and quillstops on the left side? The new style - very angular with quill stops on the front has no oil fitting in the top of the cover. I would be happy to copy the drawings and info that I have - it is however for the new style head. I have a further question for you - when you introduce oil in the top of your unit ( I think that there is also a oil fitting in the side which lubes the bevel gear drive between the horizontal and the vertical is there not?) where does the oil eventually run out?

Owen

Hey Owen,
I do have the older rounded style head. Your newer prints won't do me
any good but thanks anyway. There are two lubrication points. The oil
introduced at the top will go two different ways. After lubricating the gear
pair at the top some of it will go down and do the quill, the rest I believe
will migrate through the bearings and eventually go out the back of the unit.
One question for you. Do you know the pressure angle of the gears?
I need to replace two in the head and some in the power feed gear box.

Ed P

I have just aquired a very nice high speed head for my Schaublin 13. I cannot find any info with regard to the lubrication of the long sliding gear (which is essentially part of the spindle) and the drive pinion. I have a comprehensive instructional manual that describes exactly how to dissasemble and service the spindle but does not mention the lube of these gears. I assume some sort of grease. The sliding gear runs up to 6K rpm so it has to be something pretty sticky.

Any ideas?

Owen Wood
Hello Owen,

Just stumbled upon this very old post but do have exactly the same questions as you had. I Just got my hands on this newer style high speed head for my Schaublin 13 and was wondering how you lubricated it. Also, if possible, is there a way to get a copy of the manual/drawings you have? Any help or response is highly appreciated

Greetings from Holland,
Wilfred

Also the Anglo-Swiss Tools site has a wealth of information about all Swiss machine tools.

In particular, the Archive menu can get you to Schaublin specific information and you can browse the Machine Tool Library link to access a bunch of well identified documents.

Hello Jariou,

thank you for your reply. These sites have already been of great use to me and offered a lot of extra information om top of the hard-copy documentation that came with the machine. Also lathes.co.uk provided some useful insights.

Back