What's new
What's new

Serial Numbers Wanted

I have a Southbend - 10 - model -A , Cat. # CL 8187 ZB 3 -1/2 bed length serial # on bed 4411RK L11 , can you give me any information on it ?

i have a south bend 10 , the bull gear is missing teeth , its a 75 tooth bull gear , I think i have to replace it with the same tooth bull gear to maintain the feed rates and thread settings on the gear box ? Has anyone tried some of the other bull gears with 73,74,76,77 tooth gears as replacement ?

Hello all, figuring I'm a new member, and just purchased a 9A, s/n 175819, I would add a few pictures. Looking at Steve's site it appears to be a 1946. A few pics:

20240320_205824.jpg

20240320_205831.jpg

20240320_205839.jpg
It needs a few things, but nothing major it appears. It should be fine for what I need it for!.

i have a south bend 10 , the bull gear is missing teeth , its a 75 tooth bull gear , I think i have to replace it with the same tooth bull gear to maintain the feed rates and thread settings on the gear box ? Has anyone tried some of the other bull gears with 73,74,76,77 tooth gears as replacement ?
Make a new post on the main SBL forum, Ted will respond if he has one, there are also several people on the 3 Facebook SBL groups that have parts. If all else fails, send me an e-mail and I'll send you a list of other sellers and those that can make the gear you need.

I just picked up 44911-A which I appears to be a 9"x4 1/2' Model "O" Junior. The card states:
Customer H. W. Burkitt Morrison, IL
Jobber Direct.
Catalog No. #422-RN (the plate on the gear cover just says "22-R")
Type Lathe JR.BENCH, HOR.ADJ.MD
Saddle JR
Apron JR
R. P. Gear 6
Overall Length of Spindle 12"
Size Lathe 9" x 4 1/2'
Date Shipped 2/10/37
Remarks: GRAY

The date doesn't seem to correspond to the serial # in the list. The lathe has a bunch of accessories - and also legs.

My thread:

Troy

Good day from a new user here in Norway

Got a hold of an older SB 9 x 3 1/2, havnt had the time to clean it up or even connect it for testing yet.
But as i was quite curious of what year it was from, so i got the serial card from Grizzly.
The lathe got the quick change gearbox and quick change toolholders. everything seems to be in good condition so far, with what i think is all the complete changegears too.
cant wait to connect it and propperly test it out.
Im new to SB lathes so any info is appreciated.

Attachments

• SB 9.JPG
    SB 9.JPG
    187.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Serial card 1.JPG
    Serial card 1.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 11
  • Serial card 2.JPG
    Serial card 2.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Serial number.JPG
    Serial number.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I just picked up 44911-A which I appears to be a 9"x4 1/2' Model "O" Junior. The card states:
Customer H. W. Burkitt Morrison, IL
Jobber Direct.
Catalog No. #422-RN (the plate on the gear cover just says "22-R")
Type Lathe JR.BENCH, HOR.ADJ.MD
Saddle JR
Apron JR
R. P. Gear 6
Overall Length of Spindle 12"
Size Lathe 9" x 4 1/2'
Date Shipped 2/10/37
Remarks: GRAY

The date doesn't seem to correspond to the serial # in the list. The lathe has a bunch of accessories - and also legs.

My thread:

Troy
Hi Troy,
My best guess here would be that this lathe was a display model at South Bend. That would explain the 1929 serial number and a much later delivery date, and that was not uncommon for South Bend to sell the display room lathes to clear inventory and add newer models. They often sent out mailers with slightly used and discounted models, especially during the 1930's. This would be a Series O Junior serial number, in the mid 30's they replaced the series O junior with the series R junior, different apron, but retained the catalog number 22. From the card information it shipped with bench mounting feet and a mid 1930's series R adjustable HMD drive (422), so the floor legs may be another mystery, but they have approx. a $300.00 value in the steampunk world. I've turned down several offers in that range for a set I have. The lathe may have been displayed on floor legs to save space, but shipped with a set of bench feet included so the customer could mount it with the new series R horizontal drive to a bench. Post a photo of the apron to confirm it's still a series O, as I've seen a few of the late Series O's converted to R series at the factory to update them. Also it would have been originally black in 1929, and clearly states it was painted gray, which started in about 1934 with the R series, the Workshop series, and the Tool-Maker series. The card does state a 12-inch spindle length, which is a generation 2 Series O spindle. That would be prior to mid 1930, the Gen 3 Series O had a 12-3/4 spindle (the last Series O lathes) so the headstock is probably 1929 as per the SN.
Very interesting post, thank you for sharing, and post more photos... :)
Steve

Good day from a new user here in Norway

Got a hold of an older SB 9 x 3 1/2, havnt had the time to clean it up or even connect it for testing yet.
But as i was quite curious of what year it was from, so i got the serial card from Grizzly.
The lathe got the quick change gearbox and quick change toolholders. everything seems to be in good condition so far, with what i think is all the complete changegears too.
cant wait to connect it and propperly test it out.
Im new to SB lathes so any info is appreciated.
Great example of a late model Workshop 9-inch, including the Belt Cover!!
Very hard to find a more complete lathe in this condition.
Thank you for the serial number information and photos.
Discontinued in late 1969, I believe, I've not seen one past that year.
Steve

Hi Troy,
My best guess here would be that this lathe was a display model at South Bend. That would explain the 1929 serial number and a much later delivery date, and that was not uncommon for South Bend to sell the display room lathes to clear inventory and add newer models. They often sent out mailers with slightly used and discounted models, especially during the 1930's. This would be a Series O Junior serial number, in the mid 30's they replaced the series O junior with the series R junior, different apron, but retained the catalog number 22. From the card information it shipped with bench mounting feet and a mid 1930's series R adjustable HMD drive (422), so the floor legs may be another mystery, but they have approx. a $300.00 value in the steampunk world. I've turned down several offers in that range for a set I have. The lathe may have been displayed on floor legs to save space, but shipped with a set of bench feet included so the customer could mount it with the new series R horizontal drive to a bench. Post a photo of the apron to confirm it's still a series O, as I've seen a few of the late Series O's converted to R series at the factory to update them. Also it would have been originally black in 1929, and clearly states it was painted gray, which started in about 1934 with the R series, the Workshop series, and the Tool-Maker series. The card does state a 12-inch spindle length, which is a generation 2 Series O spindle. That would be prior to mid 1930, the Gen 3 Series O had a 12-3/4 spindle (the last Series O lathes) so the headstock is probably 1929 as per the SN.
Very interesting post, thank you for sharing, and post more photos... :)
Steve
I had seen some of the (original) ads for used/demo equipment and wondered if this could have been the case. My other thought was that South Bend bragged that they had something like 140 lathes used for production (around 1930) and maybe they upgraded the factory. Not sure how that would have been recorded though. I don't know the difference in the "R" vs "O" apron so now I have to go look. I've started cleaning it up. Waiting on some spindle and way oil. I don't currently have space to set it up to run but I'll try to get more pictures where it is.

Troy

Make a new post on the main SBL forum, Ted will respond if he has one, there are also several people on the 3 Facebook SBL groups that have parts. If all else fails, send me an e-mail and I'll send you a list of other sellers and those that can make the gear you need.
thank you , i purchased one on e- bay !

1965 Heavy Ten, that was a good year. I was 11-years old then, went with my father to the Chevy dealership to buy a new Biscayne 4-door, 3-speed on the column. That became my first car 4-years later.
i would have been 12 years old when it was made . I got my fathers , 1961 Chevy Impala as my first car . LOL !

Steve,
I'm looking for any information on my 1936 11" R series. I noticed you've got my S/N in the database (presumably from the Yahoo SB group). Mine is 69908

Info on the 11" seems to be pretty scarce. I have a couple of catalog pages that were sent to me. I have uploaded the pages I have to the Yahoo South Bend Manual group(in the photos section). (I go by agentkrome on the yahoo groups)

Thanks,
-Keith
I have a 36 11" R series s/n 81018. Having a lot of chatter problems. Everything is tight , I even installed screw to replace spring loaded back gear pin. Main spindle bearings have been shimmed still have chatter that resonates in the headstock. Any suggestions out there. Tring to find new bearings with no success.
T

Back