What's new
What's new

Simple but satisfying repair

dannyrocci

Cast Iron
So I purchased this micrometer carriage stop for my lathe sometime ago but when I got it I realized that the bed clap had striped threads in it, so there was not way to clap it down tightly to the bed. So I added it to the list of things that need to get fixed but never got around to it until the other day when I needed the stop to finish something else that I was working on, so it got bumped to the top of the list.

Anyways nothing all that complicated I just chucked the clap in the four jaw chuck bored out the thread and enlarged the hole big enough to fit a bushing with new threads. After making the the bushing and drilling and threading it I just pressed it in. The next thing that i need to make was the clap screw so I turned a step and drilled and tapped and now I am back in business.

Like I said not a hard repair but there is just something about, chucking up some metal and making a part that does exist, to bring something back to life.

Anyone else have some simple but satisfying repairs they have made lately?

repair

The micrometer stop that I found didnt have a clamp,so I made one up from mild steel flat stock.After sawing I trued up the ends on the lathe so it has that turned look.

nice fix! i like the lathe too- did you add the dual tumbler gearbox? nice touch with the brass protector plates :)

I did add the gearbox, my 10L was is one of the ones that came with change gears instead of a gear box so I add one. I was going to go with a single tumbler but it was going to be more $$ to go that route then to add the double tumbler. As far as the brass plates goes I add them because when I was restoring my 10L I remember looking at all of the wonderfully restored lathes that had the paint worn off where the tumbler are so I add the plates.

Danny

I bought a mic. carriage stop from e-bay, it is made a little different from yours, shorter and the stop just barely hits the flat on the carriage. I think it is maybe for a 10K or a 9" lathe. The problem I had was that the end where the stop rod comes out of the casting was open and would let turnings in. I cut a piece of leather and epoxied it to cover the opening. Simple fix works fine.

Back