What's new
What's new

South bend Lathe Heavy Ten cross feed screw pitch

C J

Plastic
Does anyone know the dimensions (thread pitch, length etc.) for the carriage feed screw on a South Bend 10L / 10R heavy lathe. I’m restoring one but, want to be ready to make these parts should the need arise.
Thank you!

What does the handwheel say in thousands per rev? if it is .200", then divide 1" by .200. Your answer then would be 5 TPI.........left hand off course.
Some lathe cross feed dials read in travel (radius change) and some read in half travel (diameter change). The number of dial divisions may not be depended upon to calculate the feed screw pitch. Of course, some lathes were made with a choice of inch or metric feed screws so it may not be safe to assume an inch pitch.

As examples, Hardinge used 100 divisions on their dial for many models, but older models had 10 TPI screws and read travel. Then, in 1946, they designed the DV59 with 20 TPI screws, still with 100 division dials to read half travel. Later, they changed to 200 division dials and 10 TPI screws, still reading half travel.

For lathes of less than huge/massive type like a Heavy Ten, 10 TPI feed screws are very common.

Larry

The 10L or 10R is 10 pitch and I believe it is .500" in diameter.

If the poster is rebuilding his 10" lathe, he should have the old cross feed screw handy I would think. :skep:

Back