What's new
What's new

tangential tool holder

I have one from Eccentric Engineering that takes HSS bits. I keep it dead sharp and only use it for shaving a couple thou for a finish pass if I missed size using a normal carbide insert. I also like it in plastics. I use their sharping fixture and my surface grinder to sharpen it.

If you need a weird shape it’s hard to grind without keeping the tool in the holder, Armstrong holders are better for that stuff anyway.

I have a left & right from eccentric. They rarely leave the toolpost on my 12x36. I use a deckel SO clone for sharpening with an armstrong style tool holder. Mostly I touch up the top surface regularly with an ezy-lap to keep it sharp. Super versatile and easy to sharpen.

Tangent is a noun and tangential is an adjective.

Larry
No. "Tangent" describes a geometric condition where a line and an arc have one point in common, as line AB is tangent to arc C. It is misused calling a line "a tangent". Line AB is not tangent without the specification of the arc. Misuse does not make it correct regardless of how frequent.

Tangent is not restricted to a line. Arc, elipse, and other non linear shapes can be tangent to a line or another shape.

A tangent is a single point. This is why in theory, round insets have an infinite number of cutting edges/corners. Far more then just 360.
Bill D

Last edited:
No. To be tangent a line, which is defined by 2 points must share 1 point with an arc or circle and not cross that arc. A line has no width so you would have an infinite number of cutting edges that would have no depth of cut.

Porthos,
As far as the proper use of the words go, I have no input. But as far as to using one goes I have many times. They work great for turning and facing on a variety of materials. The feed rate needs reduced a bit but the depth of cut can be increased to compensate for that. They do not like to get hot as the HS point will dull. I've used them in a 1906 Hendey 16" a Haas TL-1, a Monarch 10EE and a Hardinge 9".
I sharpen the HS 5/16" square tool bit with the surface grinder and it holds up well. I made my own holder to use the bigger bit. If you look at some really old lathe tooling from the 1800's you can see the basic concept was used then. They do not work on every job but are worth having near the lathe as a go-to tool.
spaeth

We used to call them stand-up form tools because the form/shape stood to impart the form to the part. All the user did was top-grind to restore a perfect form. At an automotive shop a solid carbide one was used to a certain length, and then but bazed to another to restore full length.
One would be good for a threading tool because the angle would stay true.
We made one with a radius and groove that we put on two sides so the user could use it twice and then top-ground it to resharpen.

Last edited:
We used to call them stand-up form tools because the form/shape stood to impart the form to the part. All the user did was top-grind to restore a perfect form. At an automotive shop a solid carbide one was used to a certain length, and then but bazed to another to restore full length.
One would be good for a threading tool because the angle would stay true.
We made one with a radius and groove that we put on two sides so the user could use it twice and then top-ground it to resharpen.
My Multifix AFE retracting external threading holder uses a tangential thread-form blade. The blades come in 60 deg., 55 deg., plus Acme and Trapezoidal for various pitches. I did modify a blade to cut 10 TPI square threads for making old Hardinge feed screws. This picture is an extra one I sold.

DSC00157.JPG

The blades are still made in Germany, and you can get forged holders for them in various sizes. All the holders are adjustable for helix angle. The blades are only ground on the top when dull. The forged holders are occasionally found on US eBay, but are common on German eBay.

1692495018587.png

Larry

Last edited:
Armstrong made the "snail" threading form tools. Aloris offers tangential threading form tools for their QC posts as well.

I have the Eccentric Engineering "Diamond" tangential holders for a couple of my lathes, and really like them. Easy to sharpen, and the holders are very well made.

Back in the '70's I did my apprenticeship in the UK auto industry. We used to turn forged cranks on an automatic LeBlonde lathe using form tools.
They were HSS that stood almost vertical, to give front clearance. They were held in place on a dovetail on the back, with a jackscrew for height adjustment.
The lathes had lots and lots of tools in them to catch most of the diameters and faces at the same time, as I remember it. Tools were sharpened by grinding off the top.
High production, in the day.
Bob

Back