What's new
What's new

The Haas that would not work---revisited $700,000 engine block project---Maybe not the Haas?

Sort of a long journey and the guy is committed to seeing the project succeed. Big hunk of aluminum--big investment--big risk.
In coming weeks and months things will speed up, become routine, and ROI (hopefully) follows.
After watching his backstory video, he has earned every milestone he achieves! It's really sad the journey was so expensive.

I just watched the steve morris video where he gets the big horizontal for the billet (at 750lb ea, I think that's a legit use of the term) engine blocks and they plan to work the cam tunnel and mains from both ends by spinning the platter.

Is that machine really up to the task of matching bore locations like that? Perhaps there's a probe sequence after the rotation?

I just watched the steve morris video where he gets the big horizontal for the billet (at 750lb ea, I think that's a legit use of the term) engine blocks and they plan to work the cam tunnel and mains from both ends by spinning the platter.

Is that machine really up to the task of matching bore locations like that? Perhaps there's a probe sequence after the rotation?
they will be line honing both cam and crank journals after the fact, so not THAT critical.

They drive em to break them. Then fix them and add more power and see if we can break it faster.

Check out Steve Morris Dyno blowing up recently. This guy does cool shit, hes no machinist but knows how to make HP.

It's been a couple of months and the block is out of the Haas and onto secondary(?) machine ops.
Got to admit...the guy seems to be open about sharing info on time and cost.
I'd be more inclined to keep quiet and wait until volume production is underway---if that happens.
Details on cost-hours and where it's all going.

It's been a couple of months and the block is out of the Haas and onto secondary(?) machine ops.
Got to admit...the guy seems to be open about sharing info on time and cost.
I'd be more inclined to keep quiet and wait until volume production is underway---if that happens.
Details on cost-hours and where it's all going.

i'm sure 310 hours is overall R&D and not run time per block, but even the 60ish hrs he thinks it'll take per block sounds quite high. and looking at some of the toolpaths they're running, their programmer doesnt seem to be aware of dynamic style roughing paths. i would spend time to get that cycle time down to ~40 hrs if he's gonna be doing a bunch of these.

i'm sure 310 hours is overall R&D and not run time per block, but even the 60ish hrs he thinks it'll take per block sounds quite high. and looking at some of the toolpaths they're running, their programmer doesnt seem to be aware of dynamic style roughing paths. i would spend time to get that cycle time down to ~40 hrs if he's gonna be doing a bunch of these.

From where he started---a messed up machine and what looked like a machining project from hell....and now on to the first sample shows the guy is not a quitter....and no doubt has resources we are not privy to.
Hopefully he will continue to provide updates.

From where he started---a messed up machine and what looked like a machining project from hell....and now on to the first sample shows the guy is not a quitter....and no doubt has resources we are not privy to.

Each one of those engines of his are over $100,000 and he has a months long waiting list on those things and way behind schedule. That is why he is bringing all this stuff in house because he was waiting months and months just for parts from outside suppliers.

I am heading to the drag strip in NH this weekend for 1/8th mile "Street Outlaws" guys. I think I will see 3-5 cars with Steve Morris engines.

I also heard recently that Discovery Channel ditched the NPK series due to spoilers on youtube and such. They cant control it and it isn't as fun to watch as the real street racing they used to do.

I guess Dana White has bought the rights to it and doesn't plan on letting it go.

I love seeing these cars in person. Lots of great people at these events too.

never even implied he's a quitter, far from it. big props to him for all he's done in the drag race community. just hope he makes huge improvements to the program, there's definitely LOTS of room for it

A buddy of mine is crew chief for an NHRA Factory X team, wonder if he's seen damage like that? What's that from?

Top fuel engine failure. Not uncommon for the crank to get thrown out of the bottom. There is a good photo somewhere of one where the crank and rods are still attached but the block and everything else is gone.

Last edited:
Top fuel engine failure. Not uncommon for the crank to get thrown out if the bottom. There is a good photo somewhere of one where the crank and rods are still attached but the block and everything else is gone.
Yup... Methinks it was Allan Johnson who said "Nitro doesn't like to be burned, and when you finally set it on fire it's all sorts of pissed off, and you better contain it." ...or something... :D

Back