What's new
What's new

Tinkering makes a comeback - WSJ article

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
Author makes the point that among other things, CNC machines are now available so cheap, trend toward "hands on" making things on the rise. Also has to do with so many out of work engineers and computer hacker types that desire to make real things.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB125798004542744219.html?mod=WSJ_hpp_RIGHTInDepthCarousel

Tinkering Makes Comeback Amid Crisis

By JUSTIN LAHART

The American tradition of tinkering -- the spark for inventions from the telephone to the Apple computer -- is making a comeback, boosted by renewed interest in hands-on work amid the economic crisis and falling prices of high-tech tools and materials.
The modern milling machine, able to shape metal with hairbreadth precision, revolutionized industry. Blake Sessions has one in his dorm room, tucked under the shelf with the peanut butter on it.
The Massachusetts Institute of Technology junior has been using the mill to make prototypes for a bicycle-sprocket business he's planning. He bolts down a piece of aluminum plate, steps to his desk and, from his computer, sets the machine in motion.

"It's kind of a ridiculous thing to have," says Mr. Sessions, 20 years old. But "in today's marketplace you can't only offer a technical aptitude. You have to be able to provide something more."
Occupying a space somewhere between shop class and the computer lab, the new tinkerers are making everything from devices that Twitter how much beer is left in a keg to robots that assist doctors. The experimentation is even creating companies. With innovation a prime factor in driving economic growth, and corporate research and development spending tepid, the marriage of brains and brawn offers one hopeful glimmer.
Engineering schools across the country report students are showing an enthusiasm for hands-on work that hasn't been seen in years. Workshops for people to share tools and ideas -- called "hackerspaces" -- are popping up all over the country; there are 124 hackerspaces in the U.S., according to a member-run group that keeps track, up from a handful at the start of last year. SparkFun Electronics Inc., which sells electronic parts to tinkerers, expects sales of about $10 million this year, up from $6 million in 2008. "Make" magazine, with articles on building items such as solar hot tubs and autopilots for robots, has grown from 22,000 subscribers in 2005 to more than 100,000 now. Its annual "Maker Faire" in San Mateo, Calif., attracted 75,000 people this year.
"We've had this merging of DIY [do it yourself] with technology," says Bre Pettis, co-founder of NYC Resistor, one of the first hackerspaces, in Brooklyn. "I'm calling it Industrial Revolution 2."

The financial crisis played a role in taking a nascent trend and giving it increased urgency, says Michael Cima, an MIT engineering professor. "I've been here 23 years and I definitely see this trend back to hands-on," he says. "A lot of people are pretty disappointed with an image of a career in finance and they're looking for a career that's real."
Access to the tools to tinker is getting easier. "Computer numerical controlled," or CNC, tools -- which cut metal and other materials into whatever design is plugged into the computer attached to them -- now cost as little as a tenth of what they did a decade ago. Mr. Sessions, the MIT student, says he first looked at such mills on a lark, assuming the price would be well out of his reach. But his mill cost about $7,000 to buy and set up.
He sees the bike-sprocket business as a springboard for developing more complex products, such as a device to increase mobility for arthritis sufferers or an energy-efficient car transmission. He thinks his interest in tinkering will give him an advantage in a global marketplace.
P1-AS467_TINKER_NS_20091111180511.gif

"If it doesn't have that creative aspect to it, it may not be worth doing, because your job can be outsourced," he says.
Innovation in the U.S. is peppered with examples of tinkerers who started out small, but came up with big ideas, says Naomi Lamoreaux, an economic historian at the University of California, Los Angeles. "The really dynamic times in our history are times when you have lots of ordinary people who think they have a chance to make a difference."
Through much of the past century, however, developing new products required increasingly complex and expensive tools that were out of reach of most individuals -- the Wright brothers built an airplane in their bicycle shop, but the first jet-powered aircraft were built at well-funded corporate and government labs. As a result, large firms came to dominate innovation.
That trend was disrupted in the 1990s when low-cost computers allowed Internet and software start-ups to compete with giants. But when it came to developing innovative physical products, high prices kept high-tech machine tools and materials out of most tinkerers' reach.
"There have always been hobbyists, but it was really hard to go from being a hobbyist who built hot rods to becoming a car company," says Erik Kauppi, a member of at A2 Mech Shop, an Ann Arbor, Mich., workshop where tinkerers pool tools they own. "But now, all of a sudden a guy or a couple of guys have a lot more leverage."
The electric scooter that Mr. Kauppi, who is 49, developed at the workshop is now in production. His business, Current Motor Co. in Scio Township, Mich., plans to begin shipping its scooter, with a starting price of $5,500, this month.
At engineering schools, the drop in costs is putting tools once accessible only to senior researchers into the hands of undergraduates. The Hobby Shop at MIT, once mainly a wood shop, has been accumulating advanced equipment, some castoffs from MIT laboratories, some bought.
"Now you can build sophisticated robots and things like that with all these new pieces of equipment they have," says Greg Schroll, 23, a 2008 MIT engineering graduate.
He hopes to eventually start a company around a spherical robot he built at the MIT shop, which he sees being used to gather information in places too hazardous for humans. Projects made by MIT students in the Hobby Shop now in commercial production include a LED system to create lighting effects for film and a machine to salt the rim of a margarita glass.
Hands-on is catching on at other schools. There were 27% more undergraduates who earned mechanical-engineering degrees in 2008 than in 2003, according to the American Association of Engineering Societies. Over the same period, the number of computer-engineering graduates slipped by 31%.
Students at Carnegie Mellon University asked to stay at school for a week after exams last spring so they could hang out and build things. Ed Schlesinger, a professor there, says that after a long period where theoretical work dominated at engineering schools, "when students talk to each other now, it's 'So, what cool project are you working on?' It's not enough to say I took these classes and got an A." Stanford University's Product Realization Laboratory, where students learn machining, welding and other hands-on skills, has seen membership jump to 750 from 450 over the past five years.
As a junior at Stanford in 2004, Carly Geehr thought she was headed for medical school. Then she took a course on manufacturing and design at the Stanford workshop.
"I'd never held a drill in my life, but working with the milling machine -- I was just blown away," says Ms. Geehr, who is 24. She changed her major to engineering and, as a doctoral candidate in engineering, is now a teaching assistant for the course that gave her the bug to build. On a recent day, she cheered students on as they prepared molds for sand-casting bronze, occasionally donning a protective fire suit to skim red-hot dross from the crucible before pouring molten metal into the molds.
Giulio Gratta, a senior in Stanford's engineering school, has been using the workshop to build a panoramic camera. Even though Stanford is in the heart of Silicon Valley, he says software and Internet development don't hold as much interest as before. "It's no longer the thing to do," says Mr. Gratta, who is 21. "People have to figure out something else. Maybe...physical things."

See Andy Jordan's report from May of 2008 on the "Maker Faire" gathering of tinkerers. 05/12/08
See Andy Jordan's report from two years ago to see how far 3D printing has come in just two years. 11/29/07

From hacker spaces to profitable businesses, tinkering is experiencing a renaissance. WSJ's Andy Jordan explores some of the "stuff" people are making with new devices that encourage hacking and creativity.

Until the 1950s, economists thought how fast the economy grew was mostly a matter of how much money was spent and how much work was getting done. But in a 1957 paper that helped him later earn a Nobel Prize, MIT economist Robert Solow showed capital and labor only accounted for about half of growth. The remaining half he attributed to innovation -- an area where the U.S. has long had an advantage.
In recent years, however, U.S. spending on research and development has led some economists to worry that innovation will no longer provide the boost it once did. Corporate R&D spending grew an average of 2.6% annually from 2000 to 2007, down from an average of 6% in the 1980s and 1990s, according to the most recent figures from the National Science Foundation. Chief financial officers surveyed in September by Duke University's Fuqua School of Business and CFO Magazine said they expected their companies' R&D spending to grow by just 0.4% over the next year.
Tinkering represents innovation outside such figures. TechShop in Menlo Park, Calif., for example, is a for-profit workshop and operates like a gym, except that the members who pay $100 a month are milling iron rather than pumping it.
Founder Jim Newton tallied a list of all the tools he could imagine needing. Now TechShop, opened in 2006, has $500,000 worth of lathes, laser cutters and other equipment.
There are 600 members at TechShop's original location, up from 300 a year ago, and it has opened workshops in Durham, N.C., and Beaverton, Ore. Projects under way include a liquid-cooling device for computer servers and an electric two-wheeled car.
NYC Resistor, the hackerspace in Brooklyn, is funded by members and fees from classes it offers. It opens to visitors every Thursday. Recently, a group gathered around Ben Combee, who demonstrated the laser cutter. He put a piece of Plexiglas into place, started the air compressor, pushed a button and shouted, "Fire the laser!"
At a table strewn with laptops, wires and circuit boards, Eric Skiff showed off a robotic arm that twitches when a hand is passed near it. In a corner is the Barbot, a robot that, when it works, pours and stirs an absinthe cocktail called a Sazerac.
Such projects -- not to mention a giant Lite-Brite and a toy piano that plays Philip Glass's "Modern Love Waltz" -- may seem frivolous. But Zach Hoeken Smith, a NYC Resistor cofounder, thinks something important is going on. The computer kits sold by companies such as Apple in the 1970s were demeaned as toys, he says, but ended up launching the personal computer revolution.
Mr. Smith, 25, studied computer science at the University of Iowa, and worked as a Web developer. But a few years ago, he started playing with an "Arduino" -- an open-source microcontroller. These are used as the "electric brains" for everything from wall-avoiding robots to a hat that pokes the wearer's heads if the person stops smiling. "I was hooked," he recalls.
Intrigued by the idea of making a machine than can build its own parts, Mr. Smith got interested in "rapid prototyping machines" -- 3D printers that lay down layers of materials like plastic to form objects. The technology is used by manufacturers to make prototypes, with industrial machines typically costing tens of thousands of dollars.
Mr. Smith's NYC Resistor friends Mr. Pettis and Adam Mayer joined the project. Using off-the-shelf electronics and parts, along with a laser cutter, they came up with a machine. Now they're selling kits to make 3D printers.
Their company, MakerBot Industries, has shipped 350 of the $750 kits so far. They hired two employees, started paying themselves, and are building another 150 kits for their next shipment.
Adam Elkins and members of a hackerspace in Philadelphia, called Hive 76, bought one kit and built the machine. Mr. Elkins, a 28-year-old system administrator for a software company, says he doesn't have access to a lot of space, so he goes to the hackerspace to build. "There's no man-cave I can go to and do things."
The first thing he made on the 3D printer was a black plastic ring topped off with white plastic jewel. Last month, he presented it to his girlfriend, along with a marriage proposal. She said yes.
Write to Justin Lahart at [email protected]

Last edited:
As a side note, the article prominently mentions several Stanford students. Who it doesn't mention is Dave Beach, who almost single handedly (as I understand it) created programs and interest around the Stanford Mech. Engineering shop over the past 20 or so years. A good case of how a single individual can really have an impact. Tech Shop may be a similar success in the years ahead?

Therein lies the rub. If this forum is exclusively for commercial ventures of the old school type, where will the tinkerers learn? They have as much to offer as they take from a forum such as this. Do we really want them to revolutionize the industry without the old timers and incidentally put those old hands out of business? They would lose valuable experience. What would we lose?

Therein lies the rub. If this forum is exclusively for commercial ventures of the old school type, where will the tinkerers learn?
Your assumpton is false...gawd, I get so sick of explaining this... Phil..help ! :)

It's "exclusivity" as you put it, relates to MACHINES...not the experience level or knowledge of the PERSON... and the "tinkerers" in the article are using CNC.... not Harbor Freight crap for the most part...so they are welcome here. And even if just getting started with no machine tools, welcome here...just so long as they don't start chattering away about Chinese home shop grade machines or tools. All else is ok.

Not looked in a year, but 3d printers were coming down in price to where one soon could afford it as a tinkerer. I try to tinker, but produce mostly tinkle :bawling:

Also did not mention guys like David Utigian,

(dang I just know I'm miss-spelling his name....)

who is
actually *running* a shop education program at the
undergraduate level. They're out there. Sure MIT
guys with a mini-mill in the dorm room, very sexy.

But this stuff's been going on for years. The only
reason thw WSJ in interested is because those folks
never knew it was going on at all. Heck I had a
9" atlas in the kitchen when I was in boston.

Oops. There I did it. He'll lock the thread. I said
"atlas." :)

Jim

[A]nd the "tinkerers" in the article are using CNC.... not Harbor Freight crap for the most part...so they are welcome here.

-Really? A curious reversal, since those "CNC"s are almost exclusively Sherlines, Taigs, Seigs (the kind that Harbor Freight now sells) and Griz/HF/Jet "mini mills" they've converted with surplus copier steppers.

... Or were you thinking they had a Haas VF-1 or something, in their dorm room...?

Doc.

-Really? A curious reversal, since those "CNC"s are almost exclusively Sherlines, Taigs, Seigs (the kind that Harbor Freight now sells) and Griz/HF/Jet "mini mills" they've converted with surplus copier steppers.

... Or were you thinking they had a Haas VF-1 or something, in their dorm room...?

Doc.

Not necessarily, the equipment seems to run the full gamut and as people get a little bit of experience tends to get larger and/or more capable. Case in point, my son and some other members of his solar car team had dinner with a prof. over the weekend. The high point of dinner was touring the prof's shop/garage which included a CNC mill and equipment for carbon fiber lay-up and curing. One of the prof's hobbies is recumbent bikes which he builds from fiber. The mill is used for moldmaking and component machining. Not what I would have expected in an Evanston IL garage.

Doc.
Boy, you honed right in on that "dorm room" thing didn't ya ? :rolleyes5:

Andy F has it right. I was basing my comments more on the extensive (45 minutes I think) discussion with the author on NP radio rather that this short article. My impression from that discussion, and this WSJ article for that matter, is the new trend is due to a combination of folks buying used CNC machines cheap and/or banding together in groups to afford later model CNC which may include new. I read or heard no mention of any teeny tiny CNC machines other than that one dorm room reference. Aside from that one example I had the impression it was mostly normal sized industrial grade CNC machinery.

The headline picture on that article is amusing -- that's the MakerBot "CupCake" -- a pre-assembled kit of the OpenSource RepRap 3D printer.

The picture is taken with an extreme close-up that makes the size of the machine hard to discern: it's actually 13" x 10" x 17" tall. About the size of a toaster oven :)

Here's a short video of it, you'll get a better idea of the size:

http://vimeo.com/5102475

My impression from that discussion, and this WSJ article for that matter, is the new trend is due to a combination of folks buying used CNC machines cheap and/or banding together in groups to afford later model CNC which may include new.

-While that may indeed be a factor, the truth of the matter is the majority of the "tinkerers" these articles refer to, are using the cheap desktop Taigs and Sherlines, if not a $700 minimill they converted with eBayed surplus parts.

Yes, I'm sure there are, indeed, people banding together or cashing in grandmas inheritance to buy a used VMC or to retrofit an old BOSS or Tree. But for every one of those, there's two or three dozen buying a $2500 plug-and-play Taig or Sherline, or buying a HF minimill and doing a DIY conversion using surplus parts. Or, if they have a little bit more money, one of the new- and rather popular, as I understand it- Seig CNCs, as already noted.

I just thought it interesting you won't even allow a mention of Grizzly/Jet/HF "hobby" machines, but then welcome them with open arms... as long as that same machine has a computer attached.

Doc.

Sure, some bunghole in his dorm room can cut out a sprocket, but that's child's play. Making CNC totally accessible and easy to use isn't a replacement for a machinist that figures out how to make stuff for a living. Access to CNC isn't the only hold up, you still have to know how to make shit. Some of these guys are in for a rude awakening when they realize you don't just buy a cnc and make new gears for a car transmission.

I support anyone who wants to make stuff, I just think this article is over hyping what these tinker guys are able to make. We're talking kindergarden level cnc for the most part. The other end of the scale is machinists who get paid to figure out how to make stuff. Gigantic difference.

I'm with Doc. I make a living out my garage using the "unmentionable" machines. I'm afraid to ask questions or post anything on this forum because I feel I'm going to get run out of town by a lynch mob. I'm not good enough to hang with the big dogs simply because I can't afford a real machine. Everyone has to start somewhere and in my case the budget is quite small. I drive a 15 year old Corsica. I rent a house built in the 70's. Most of my gear is recycled and your trash is my treasure. I would love to have a real job shop and rows of machines. But I'm not anywhere near approaching that goal yet. One step at a time...

IMO that article is describing exactly what I am doing. My "tinkering" actually brings in a somewhat usable income and it's a hell of a lot better than punching someone else time clock. I haven't tried yet but I'm pretty sure I can cut a gear for a transmission on my bench top equipment. And when I am ready to try such a project I can't ask around here because my equipment is not up to par in the eyes of this forum.

Not really a big deal tho. There are plenty of forums that welcome me with open arms. I just lurk around here and grab whatever useful tidbits I can. It's your forum and you can run it however you like. just thought I'd post and let you know how the little guys feel around here.

my 2 cents...

I support anyone who wants to make stuff, I just think this article is over hyping what these tinker guys are able to make. We're talking kindergarden level cnc for the most part. The other end of the scale is machinists who get paid to figure out how to make stuff. Gigantic difference.

-I think the point of the article is that we're seeing a resurgence in hands-on interest, after at least a decade or more of the "information worker"- as in software engineers and programmers.

As has been noted on this board once or twice, society, in the last decade or two, has tended to push the child/graduate away from the "dirty" jobs- automotive repair, manufacturing, construction, etc.- and into the "clean" desk job- programmers and coders mainly, as computers were "where it's at". The inventor no longer strove to build the better mousetrap, he hoped to write the "killer app", the software that everyone wants.

But clearly some of those people are getting tired of pushing ones and zeroes around, or perhaps getting tired of making virtual models without ever seeing how the finished object looks outside of the computer monitor.

And with some of the new "open source" resources- Arduino boards, plans, etc.- it's now easier than ever for a person to make that jump from the virtual to the real. The "Cupcake" kit noted above can be downloaded and made from simple hardware-store parts, old copier salvage, and a little time with a soldering iron.

And yes, it's largely hobby-level stuff today, but it gets the next generation interested enough to move towards that sort of thing as a career later.

Doc.

Sure, some bunghole in his dorm room can cut out a sprocket, but that's child's play. Making CNC totally accessible and easy to use isn't a replacement for a machinist that figures out how to make stuff for a living. Access to CNC isn't the only hold up, you still have to know how to make shit. Some of these guys are in for a rude awakening when they realize you don't just buy a cnc and make new gears for a car transmission.

John, I hate to tell you but....a guy in his dorm room is a child, so "childs play" fits them. On the other hand you are underestimating the youth of today. Those kids in the dorm can make the gears for a transmission...if they want to. If not right away, they can figure it out, the data and instructions are available to them.

I think another element in the cnc tinkering equation is the
low cost of retrofitting a good older machine.There are many older machines with
defunct controls .These machines can be harvested for free or close to it and with minimal cost for new drives , a little scrounging ,etc set to work again
Mach3 control is far more powerful than most people realize.Now there might not be all the bells and whistles, but for tinkering and making parts ,a good start.The cam programs can be almost or are free,for simple 2.5d work.These two things are helping to bridge the gap for alot of tinkerers.I wonder how many new products have been started this way?

-While that may indeed be a factor, the truth of the matter is the majority of the "tinkerers" these articles refer to, are using the cheap desktop Taigs and Sherlines, if not a $700 minimill they converted with eBayed surplus parts.
I told you what my "impression" was of what they are using, and you issue an edict of "the truth of the matter". The reality is neither one of us knows for sure what the majority of the folks in the article are using. Interesting concept to have "The Truth" already figured out, without any actual machine survey results.

We made it in the article near the bottom!

One difference between our TechShop and the other locations is I wont buy anything from Harbor Freight. Some people give us some of that stuff but thats it.

As for CNC we have three Prolight Desktop mills, a Milltronics VMC, Hercus Compulathe, DynaCNC router table with a 4' x 24' bed. We are still putting a new Milltronics Centurian 7 control on a Clausing CNC that had an old bandit. I am looking at a Fanuc Drill Mate too.

All the manual machines are Logan, South Bend, Bridgeport, Gorton, etc. We do have a Jet lathe and Enco mill though, but we didnt pay for them.

All of our welding equipment is commercial model stuff, no 120v mig machines here. 400 amp migs, and 300 amp tigs, all inverters. Most of our wood shop is Delta. Also some Powermatic, Silver Falls, Oliver, and Porter.

We have three furnaces, the largest capable of melting cast iron. There is also a heat treat oven.

Lots of toys to play with! Of course you just cant walk up to a machine and use it. You must have taken safety classes at a minimum on most machines and many like the CNC router require about 9 hours of classes before you can use them. And there are a few machines like the VMC that are only used supervised.

Pictures of our shop here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/techshoppdx/

-Jerry
http://portlandtechshop.com

Back