What's new
What's new

What is this machine worth: '20 Doosan 2100A, slightly scuffed up

Thanks for the advice. The electronics look unaffected. Some water got in the enclosure where the power entered the cabinet, but pooled at the bottom and drained out. There's no evidence smoke was in there. The clogged fan I mentioned is on the outside of the enclosure.

I wish I had got in there with a rag full of grease in the immediate days after, but my life was a swirling pile of sh*t at the time. The X rust is worse the Z, but it's mostly down at the bottom where they are used the least if at all.

I'm going to go with 50% of retail. I think the odd are pretty good this thing will run well for a long time, but that's still a bargain and leaves room for a couple repairs.

Insurance did buy the new one. They paid out the depreciated value and then there was further bucks to recover when I showed them the invoice. I pretty much maxed out my policy. I still lost some tens of thousands still with the co-insurance part they don't cover and intangibles, etc. Oh and probably some years off my life from the stress. I'm thanking the sweet baby Jesus currently as I just got my insurance renewal price on Friday and a) it arrived, and b) it's actually no more increase than you would expect these days.

I bought all the damaged stuff back at salvage. I do have room in my new shop but I can't keep up with extra machines and don't plan on getting employees anytime soon. I might try to hang onto the Speedio (the other CNC that was in the warehouse), but we'll see. I could really use an MSY lathe, but that was definately not in the cards after this shitstorm. Funny, every piece of electronics that was in there (and far more exposed to crap than the lathe electronics in their enclosure) have powered up and running fine: shipping scale, laser printer, etc.

Thanks

Well my 35 year old linear bearing mazak qt15 still runs perfectly too. It’s just a matter of the design.
Good design is a help, but material being machined is the real factor. If your QT had run much cast iron or steel, or high silicon cast aluminum it would absolutely have needed replacement of the linears a couple decades ago.

Back