What's new
What's new

What's the best "Giveaway Gizmo" you've seen? IMTS,WESTEC, Salesmen, Etc

Where do you even get those pads? I've looked before and I couldn't find them. My stash
of pads is getting low..

And yes, honestly, scratch pads are probably the best thing in the world, Your name is right
in their face, all the time. They do get used.

I agree they are probably the best form of giveaway advertising. All day long I'm looking at notes or drawings on a piece of paper with their name and phone number on the top. My local steel provider is the one that stocks me up with them, every time I need to order tool steel I go through them and they're not even geographically the closest place I can order from but they've bought my loyalty with these damn note pads lol

If your are at #IMTS2022 make sure you stop by BobCAD-CAM's Booth, they have an insane computer workstation drawing. This PC is work over $8K and a visit to the booth is all it takes. IMO this is a IMTS2022 must-stop!

Booth# 133125

Looks like that is water cooled?
My boy has talked about dooing that.
Not sure if he has actually done it, or just checking options?

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

If your are at #IMTS2022 make sure you stop by BobCAD-CAM's Booth, they have an insane computer workstation drawing. This PC is work over $8K and a visit to the booth is all it takes. IMO this is a IMTS2022 must-stop!

Booth# 133125

So you need this "insane" set-up just to make bobcad
work ?

I still prefer quality embroidered logo caps......Ive just about run out of caps,always used to have a dozen in hand ...........I think decent quality caps are too expensive ,now.

Allied Machine had the best both IMO. Sports bar theme and lots of swag. Thing that stuck out to me as a simple idea they had that most shops could make themselves. Bottle opener from sheet with their info on it, and a magnet glued to the back so you can stick it to the fridge.

Yep, Allied sure has the big attractive booth full of BS.
Always does.

But when I asked the kid manning the Gen3Sys table how many times that I could get the tips sharpened, he said that they were throw-away's and that they don't sharpen them. Except for the fact that I just got 7 or 8 tips back from Allied for sharpening....

Other than for that one question, I tend NOT to go to booths with a bunch of bullshit - attracting people [that aren't otherwise interested] for gimmicks and not their expertise.

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I still prefer quality embroidered logo caps......Ive just about run out of caps,always used to have a dozen in hand ...........I think decent quality caps are too expensive ,now.
I scored Mitutoyo and SolidCAM hats no problem.

The best SWAG for students was the hammer that DN Solutions was cranking out down in the student section. They used a DEM 4000 VMC for the head a LEO lathe for the handles.

The best SWAG for students was the hammer that DN Solutions was cranking out down in the student section. They used a DEM 4000 VMC for the head a LEO lathe for the handles.
I work at the office that put on that demo; and while we thought they would be popular, we never anticipated adults trying to muscle their way past the kids literally after being told that the giveaways are for the kids. Of course, that's probably the best way to show the future generation what to expect of the adults in this industry.

I'm on the complete opposite side of this whole gadget give-away thing as I hate gimmicks and I don't carry Jack at the show anymore, and haven't for a long time. I carry a camera and take pics of things that I think might be of interest later.

So, I was at the Starrett booth the other day, kind'a fussin' about my Hencho en China calipers.
(these things are dead friggen nuts on!)
The fella there said that it was his job for 20 yrs to fly back/forth to "their facility" in blablabla China.
He assured me that it was not a rebadged unit, but one built in their facility ___ in China. He told me that the intent of the facility was mostly to support the Asian market, but that there were several common products that they did offer as "Globally sourced". And more the case that he said that they DOO offer a Made in Athol 9" caliper.

He looked each one up and the Yank one was basically dbl the Chinc one, so take yuhr pick.

Anyhow, before I left, then he tried to butter me up with gimmee BS. I told him that I didn't want "schtuff", I just want a Yank calipers next time! Now I know to specify that when I call my supplier.

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I'm on the complete opposite side of this whole gadget give-away thing as I hate gimmicks and I don't carry Jack at the show anymore, and haven't for a long time. I carry a camera and take pics of things that I think might be of interest later.
----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox
I think you need a hat....Yup, get a hat next time....:D

I was riding the CTA Blue Line this AM out to O’Hare, and we were racing flatbeds and Conestoga trailers headed west on I- 90 with IMTS machines in big crates.

Reactions: Ox
I think you need a hat....Yup, get a hat next time....:D

I have a "Hardinge Caffe 2006" T-shirt.
I will wear it in 2026.

Funny thing is that on Friday I wore an:

"I never dreamed I'd be a grumpy old machinist one day, but here I am"
(or some such wording)

I figgered that it would be kind'a cheesy as I expected every 10th guy there to be wearing that shirt, but I never saw another, and I even got comments on it. I was shocked actually....

Then on Saturday I had on my The Who - "The Kids're Alright 25th (1989) Anniversary Tour" shirt on, and got even more comments about that!
(yeah, it's real, and yeah, I bought it there...)

And several booth jockies seem to think that since I have a John Deere hat on, that I must work @ Deere.
???

I guess the bulk of the folks there are a bit more .... "professional" than I tend to roll.... :D
Who'da ever thunk that?

-------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Last edited:

Back