What's new
What's new

A "Starter" 3 axis CAM software that isn't F360? (Machining molds on CNC router)

Vcarve sucks for anything besides carving nativity scenes into headboards. I've done a little 3D with it is a huge PIA to do anything serious.

I would vote for F360 also, even though I hate it. I really dislike the interface (craploads of mouse clicks) and lack of customizing. They also reinvented how you mate two bodies together and made it really crappy and time consuming. I also don't like the cloud aspect. However, at it's core, there is tons of capabilties. I use ADSK Inventor and HSM cam extension and I love it. Partially, you need to forget what Vcarve has taught you and keep an open mind. Vcarve is not a serious CAD or CAM program.

I looked seriously at alibre before I bought Inventor some years back. Looks like they do CAM. Worth checking: Alibre, LLC | 3D CAD & CAM Computer Software

This week they completely redid the create cnc code dialog, now you have to click and select things that you could leave preset previously. :crazy: I'll presume that of all the things that could have used attention, this was the highest priority.

that was a WTF moment for me also, but there is a way to switch back to the original layout, I can't recall exactly how the option was named, found it by googling, somewhere under preferences checked a checkbox and back to the old window it was, at least for now, till they deem it a burden and get rid of the old one altogether

I'm slightly sorry for derailing this thread :)

There was never really a "prosumer" cam market, and the lower end cam market has been all but taken over by fusion.

Names that I can think of off the top of my head that might be of interest to you, OneCNC, SmartCAM, SprutCAM, EZCam.

OneCNC and SprutCAM arguably are more midrange products, but they are both relatively inexpensive AFAIK.

Names that I can think of off the top of my head that might be of interest to you, OneCNC, SmartCAM, SprutCAM, EZCam.
Microcimm is apparently still out there, I saw someone here mention it.

But looking for the one I remembered as xyzsomething, it's ZW3D. This guy loves it, has a lot of interesting stories on-site,

CORE/CAVITY SPLIT

Worth a giggle - "Now with a bit of plastic design experience under my belt and my CADDS 4 experience I took a job with Square D, Lincoln, NE in 1987 to design circuit breakers. I learned much more about plastic product design. 3D CAD/CAM was well in place and there were now CNC programmers you could work with. They sat next to us and informed us of the design process from their point of view, in not so pleasant terms."

I can imagine :D

Someone said ZW3D prices had gone way up, I dunno, but apparently it used to be varimetrix, which was a very cool product.

OK I have a question to all on this thread, I know it's not related to the CAM debate, but it is to the cloud side.

Are any of you using GrabCAD for collaboration between team members or company workflow?

I have been using it for my cloud storage since pre autodesk days. It also is my default translator for various formats. It is still really nice for collaboration if everyone signs up. the temporary email invites/keys to a project are not great. The revision comparison with transparency feature is handy for those of us that work with tekla/sds generated models which fail to flag changes.

I have been using it for my cloud storage since pre autodesk days. It also is my default translator for various formats. It is still really nice for collaboration if everyone signs up. the temporary email invites/keys to a project are not great. The revision comparison with transparency feature is handy for those of us that work with tekla/sds generated models which fail to flag changes.

FYI Stratasys owns GrabCAD not Autodesk.

Thanks for replying. What version do you have experience with?

Any thoughts on the importance/usefullness of the features offered in the "Pro" version?

We use the Pro version. We've been using it since late 2016. If you go to this page and pick the configurations tab you can see what the Pro version has to offer above and beyond the standard version.

RhinoCAM: CAM Software for Rhino | Try for Free | MecSoft Corporation

Much like Rhino itself, RhinoCAM has a lot to offer that isn't always apparent at first glance. Also similar to Rhino itself, there's a lot you can do with Python scripting to automate RhinoCAM.

It's not our only CAM product, but we do use it for about 50% of our programming. We cover all our 3-axis needs with RhinoCAM and use our other product for the more complex 5-axis work.

Hope this helps,

Dan

I use "PowerStation" from Microcimm.
You can write your own posts and for 2 and three axis work it gives a huge bang for the buck.
About $1800 or so.

I started out using madCAM for Rhino. It works well enough, but the workflow is rather tedious and it lacks advanced features of more complete CAM packages. But it gets the job done for very little money. I then moved on to BobCAM for Rhino and I'm quite happy with it. The advanced toolpaths and machine simulation use ModuleWorks, which is the same engine used by a lot of high dollar packages. BobCAM sales are also willing to deal and made me a good one.

Another vote for Rhino with BobCam's plugin. I'm far from a beginner or an expert, but I find myself doing the majority of my work with this system. The interface is very easy to use and is packed with features. Tool paths are efficient and simulation is great. Even the little things like pre-loaded thread/material/tool libraries/feeds/speeds are good and only take minor tweaking sometimes. Been using the plugin for quite some time now and have had no issues. Haven't had to contact support even one time. If you are just starting out, I would recommend this combo as it will be a long time before you outgrow it, if ever.

I bought Bobcad quite a few years ago before fusion came out, and although it is full featured I had trouble learning it. Probably more my issue than the program

In my hobby shop I was using Fusion, I was used to autocad so I picked it up easy. Cam worked good but not the best program for producing prints though. Then they crippled it for hobby users. The first versions were basically Beta programs so I understand they have earn with it now.

I recently purchased Alibre workshop, $399. and seem to be picking that up easier. There is a free demo download available. The cam part is called Meshcam.

Dave

Being that you already know and use Rhino it only makes sense to use one of the CAM plug-ins. As a SOLDIWORKS user, I would recommend the same thing. I believe when it comes to CAD-CAM, having CAD skills for selection, editing, moving, coordinate systems, and measuring are keys for success.

You're machining molds and you want more toolpath power! I do believe Vetrics to be great software for sign and shape cutting, but when it comes to additional toolpaths for rest roughing, semi-finishing and finishing it comes up short.

So what are your CAM options for Rhino?

Your #1 option IMO is BobCAM for RHINO.

Here is a playlist to the getting started videos.

When it comes down to it, you're looking for toolpath power, and BobCAM for Rhino delivers. Not only does it have all the toolpath options you'll need, it has multiple ownership paths to consider.

Based on being a mold shop you would want to consider either the Mill Professional or Mill Premium options.

Mill Standard Toolpaths

Z Level Rough
Z Level Finish
Planar
Spiral
Radial

Mill Professional Toolpaths

Advanced Z Level Roughing
Advanced Z Level Finishing
Flatlands
Equidistant
Pencil
Project Curves

Mill Premium Toolpaths

Steep Shallow
Parallel Cuts
Cuts Along a curve
Morph Between 2 Curves
Parallel to multiple curves
Project Curves
Morph Between 2 Surfaces
Parallel to surface
Flowline

Attachments

• V1 Rhino Slim.jpg
    V1 Rhino Slim.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 13
HSMworks is the CAM software running inside of Fusion. You do not have to do any design work with Fusion. And you can use it offline for a few weeks before they nag you to log in by going in to "offline mode." I think it is $350 to use for the year.

Other Options... RhinoCAM from Mecsoft runs in native Rhino $1500. BobCAD is always popular. Not sure on the price but Mecsoft and BobCAD are about par for pricing. BobCAD has more users and tutorials.

HSMworks is the CAM software running inside of Fusion.

No it is NOT!

HSMWorks only runs inside of SolidWorks and AutoDesk used the code to create Fusion and Inventor CAM.

Fusions CAM is now a melding of a bunch of CAM software's, FeatureCAM, PowerMill and the original stuff from HSMWorks.

HSMWorks and Inventor CAM have not been updated to some of these enhancements and are falling way behind what Fusion CAM can do.

Back