What's new
What's new

Bridgeport Boss quill limit setting

Dbsharp

Plastic
I have found what I think is maybe a typo in the manual, and I'm not sure if anyone here knows for sure how to do this... When setting the upper limit and home for the quill, the manual states to move it to the uppermost position by hand, then rotate the pulley one revolution. they state this moves the quill down .05 (this becomes the zero point), but I am pretty certain that one revolution of the motor makes .10" motion, as the ballscrew is .2 pitch and the belt drive is 2:1 (99% sure).

I retrofitted mine with new servoes and can not access the pulley to spin it by hand one revolution, so I measured .05 motion downward to set this. It seems to me there is not much room for the mill to stop if the + limit is tripped, but it looks like there is more room at the bottom if the - limit is tripped to stop everything.

Can anyone verify that the "uppermost position" is where the ballscrew bottoms out (the manual does not specify)? I know I'm kinda splitting hairs here, but I would like to know for sure where the intended z zero is.
1.jpg

Hi, I have a Bridgeport Boss 10 CNC (not updated). I have the quill upper limit set about 0.1" before mechanical end of travel. Z rapid motion will stop in the 0.1" distance.
What servos are installed? Servos will impact decell rate slightly.

Hi - You mentioned 'Z zero'. Typically a 'home function' will move Z upward to Home LS and then continue upward to Z encoder Marker Pulse.

Back