What's new
What's new

Buffalo No.16 Drill Press - Spline Drive Bearing Removal

dalmatiangirl61

Diamond
Anyone familiar with how to remove the bearings in the upper section of a Buffalo No.16 drill press? There is a 1-3/4" double D nut on the lower portion, and it is recessed so no real way to get a wrench on it, upper side is just the hollow keyed shaft and no way to really hold it. Maybe it presses out as a unit?

There is a basic manual on vintage machinery, it gives instructions for removing the quill, but not the spline drive bearings. Page 7 of 12 in the pdf, or page 10 in actual manual, upper lefthand corner just under "Illustration of Parts" is the bearings I want to remove. This unit does not have the power feed, its just a plain drill press.
http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=1058

I remember my Dad changing those very bearings in a Buffalo No. 16 as a kid! That would have been about 55 years ago - time flies. Don't you just remove the cap screws under the pulley and then the whole pulley and spline drive lifts up as an assembly? I think the bearings are a slip fit in the housing. Then you can undo the nut on the bottom of the female spline piece and get the bearings off.

I'd bet this drill has not had any love since 1955! I tapped both ends of the shaft a few times and did not get any movement, guess I'll tap a bit harder, maybe heat the casting a bit. The old grease is a mix of hard and crunchy, glue, and 90wt ooze.

Back