What's new
What's new

Finding a Used Lathe w/ Sub Spindle?

HikeKing21

Plastic
If I'm looking at getting started with a CNC lathe in our shop, and need live tooling and a sub spindle for back-side-tapping, any recommendations on reliable budget machines that are worth looking at? I do primarily small part work, and design primarily in Fusion360.... so something that will allow that workflow without too many intermediary steps to get parts cut. Would appreciate a setup with probing, etc, but really wondering if there is any bomb-proof older equipment that is generally liked around here?

Small meaning less than 2" diameter, less than 2" long.

Cheap as in as cheap as possible while meeting the sub-spindle requirement used.

The obvious answer is spend more and get a newer machine, but really this is something to learn on. You guys can talk me out of wasting my time trying to do this if a machine under 30k is impossible. Hell, I'd love if something 10k or under that is ancient but a workhorse was a viable option.

I've worked with these guys before and they've been great about making sure equipment works for other colleagues who have bought there. Do you see anything in their Watertown, WI location that might be worth checking out?

Last edited:
In order to get suggestions, you should specify a budget for the machine purchase.
You should also explain what your definition of small parts is. Small means different things to different people.

In order to get suggestions, you should specify a budget for the machine purchase.
You should also explain what your definition of small parts is. Small means different things to different people.
Done, thank you.

What's the budget? Should be lots of Doosan Lynx 2100/220LSY out there these days but used in good shape still worth $80k

Bar feed or hand feed. Lots can be done with robots and automation.

Would really like bar feed. Ultimately I would need something to make parts unattended.
Depending on the job and your budget lots can be done with pallets and robots etc. Also depends on your skill level etc. If you are time rich and money poor you can do a lot yourself with pneumatics etc.

lol I didn't see that your budget is 30k.

Not sure how you will pull this off. When we got our most recent 2600SY, we also got over 15k just in boring bars. Not saying that you need that many carbide boring bars, but these machines cost a LOT to tool up.

lol I didn't see that your budget is 30k.

Not sure how you will pull this off. When we got our most recent 2600SY, we also got over 15k just in boring bars. Not saying that you need that many carbide boring bars, but these machines cost a LOT to tool up.
That's fair. I ask questions to learn, and I am learning :)

It's doable under $30k, but it will be either old, ugly, or temperamental. Hopefully not all three though.

Miyano builds lathes that fit your description, and they are very high quality. You'll probably be in the '90's to hit that price.

You can also find some Taiwanese orphan machines, but you'll be on your own to figure it out and make repairs.

On the bright side some of these used lathes come with tooling, so that can save a ton of money.

Depending on the job and your budget lots can be done with pallets and robots etc. Also depends on your skill level etc. If you are time rich and money poor you can do a lot yourself with pneumatics etc.

Pallets and robots? Where would you put a pallet? It's a bar fed lathe with sub, they are automated by nature.

Last edited:
Look at mid-late 90's to mid 20's Mori Seiki SL-150SMC or SL-200SMC. Nice, fast way machines. Servo driven Turret is full live. Solid machine. Fanuc control. Parts catcher. Tool Pendent-(never use mine. Too much hassle.

These days should be well under 30k.

Look at mid-late 90's to mid 20's Mori Seiki SL-150SMC or SL-200SMC. Nice, fast way machines. Servo driven Turret is full live. Solid machine. Fanuc control. Parts catcher. Tool Pendent-(never use mine. Too much hassle.

Actually, I just saw a SL-150 that might be perfect, I'll PM it to the OP. No personal experience but they have a good reputation.

You should be able to find a running older (2000'ish or so) machine and git running with $30K.
You may even find one with a feeder on it for that.

Maybe keep looking around and ask us to eyeball what you find.

Keep Bidspotter in mind!
But that sorta requires that you have ca$h and not looking to finance, so ...

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I bought a Miyano in the spring. It’s a 2001. I just setup my first job in it. Didn’t have much lathe work over the summer. Depending on your part sizes maybe something like this. 42mm machine. Max part length about 4-5”. No y but full positioning on both spindles. I’m pretty excited about it. It’s really great to see finished parts coming off a machine. It was $40k with lots of tooling. Probably up to $50k by now.

It's doable under $30k, but it will be either old, ugly, or temperamental. Hopefully not all three though.

Miyano builds lathes that fit your description, and they are very high quality. You'll probably be in the '90's to hit that price.

You can also find some Taiwanese orphan machines, but you'll be on your own to figure it out and make repairs.

On the bright side some of these used lathes come with tooling, so that can save a ton of money.

Pallets and robots? Where would you put a pallet? It's a bar fed lathe with sub, they are automated by nature.
Are you familiar with the saying "to a man with a hammer everything looks like a nail". Material can be cut and palletized then robot loaded, flipped and reloaded and then unloaded. A robot is a far more versatile addition to a production facility than a bar feed and sub as it can be used on multiple machines if arranged in a cell.

There's one on Ebay for under $20k.

OP says he needs a sub for back side tapping. I'm assuming he means with live tools. Do you know if the sub has C? Positioning? Can you get live tools that face the sub?

It seems that on a lot of the older machines with live and sub, the builder didn't really plan on you doing a lot of live work on the sub. OP needs to make sure that whatever you look at can do what you want it to do. Don't assume that because it has live and sub that you can do full polar interpolation milling with an axial holder cutting on the sub. I'm not even sure you can do that with a new Haas.

Alternatively, here's a Doosan that fits your budget.

Take your budget up a little, and these two machines are pretty slick.

I'm not even sure you can do that with a new Haas.
The redesign of the Haas DS30 finally allowed interpolation on the sub. I don't know if their other machines allow it tho, but I doubt it.

You should be able to find a running older (2000'ish or so) machine and git running with $30K.
You may even find one with a feeder on it for that.

Maybe keep looking around and ask us to eyeball what you find.

Keep Bidspotter in mind!
But that sorta requires that you have ca$h and not looking to finance, so ...

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox
I'm in on the bidspotter idea, I'm also hoping to maybe run into somebody here who knows somebody....

Back