What's new
What's new

HAAS TM2 won't read Disc

RMS Machine

Aluminum
Guys, my TM2 (2006 model) doesn't seem to want to read a 3.5" disc like normal.

My typical workflow is to make all of the toolpaths (Fusion 360) on my laptop, load onto a 3.5" disc and transfer to my machine

I have some new discs coming but was wondering if there is a better way to load CAM generated programs on this machine? RS232 Cable seems old school and would take a bunch of learning my me (not a computer guy by any means). Is there a way to convert to a USB drive that works well? It seems like anything I can find still limits me to a 1.44mb file size, it would be nice to bump that up.

Or should I buy a new (new old stock) 3.5 drive, replace that and hope for the best?

Any other tips from you guys?

Thanks for the help, RMS Machine

As far as I know, any conversion to usb will be limited to the 1.44mb.

Some formatting options do allow different partitions of 1.44mb which basically gives you multiple disks on one usb drive. This isn't quite as nice as having the whole storage capacity of a usb drive, but as far as I know, it is as good as a conversion will get.

Transfer speed with the conversion usb will be the same as the 3.5" disks.

I would recommend the following model:
Sfr1M44-U100K

This one will format the drives at the control without the need for a separate computer software.

You can find them for around $30 on ebay. I have put them in multiple Haas machines, and they seem to work good.

Last edited:
Thanks EMTech, that is kind of what I am seeing also.

As far as consistent disc reading errors.....replace the drive and hope for the best???

Anything else that anyone would recommend?

Ya just toss a USB drive in
My 07 started crapping out. $30 and an hour later I could use a stick. Big quality of life improvement. Your limited to 1.44 now so your not gonna be bothered by being limited to 1.44 after.
Otherwise r232 Is pretty simply to set up. Ecpecially if you have an old windows computer lying around. The software used to come stock with windows. Windows hyper-terminal.

Now it’s a program you have to pay for. But it’s cheap. 3rd party licences from Microsoft now I believe

I still vote for a USB stick

Update - Got the GOTEK USB emulator.

I got it figured out. The fact that it formats the USD drive is nice. I had a bit of an issue because since I bought this mill I strictly used CAM loaded onto the 3.5 disc and run it DNC. Running the program straight off the disc instead of loading on to the control.

I could not seem to get the DNC to work like it used to, so I had to learn how to load the program on the machine. I just had to watch some YouTube videos to find what worked for my machine. I don't know why there seems to be so many different methods, but I found what worked for me. My manuals were not really any help.

Thanks for the help guys, I will also look into what daringwilliams posted, that may work for programs larger that 1.44 mb.....

Back