What's new
What's new

How can U.S. stay on top of the world?

Too_Many_Tools

Stainless
How can U.S. stay on top of the world? By Antoine van Agtmael Wed Mar 7

South Korean carmaker Hyundai recently had to deny newspaper reports that it is a leading candidate to take over Chrysler. True or not, it already has a $1.1 billion plant in Alabama and now beats Toyota in performance quality, according to the J.D. Power survey. Less than five years ago it was the joke of a Jay Leno show.

Hyundai is just one of the many profitable firms in emerging markets that produce just about everything consumers consume. Within hours of Apple CEO Steve Jobs' recent unveiling of the stylish new iPhone, shares in Taiwanese electronics giant Hon Hai Precision Industry shot up. Founded in 1974 as a marginal manufacturer of TV-set-tuning knobs, Hon Hai today produces PCs for Hewlett-Packard and Dell, PlayStation game consoles for Sony, motherboards for Intel, cellphone handsets for Nokia and Motorola, and now Apple's new iPhone. Other examples can be found everywhere.

While our attention was focused on the "new economy" a few years ago, "new economies" quietly stole the show. We are in the midst of the greatest shift in the global economy since the Industrial Revolution. This time, the economic epicenter is shifting away from the developed world to emerging markets in Asia, Eastern Europe, the Middle East and Latin America.

Market scare

Sharp moves in the Dow Jones used to scare or exhilarate investors worldwide. Last week's 416-point drop in the U.S. stock market, together with a sudden reversal in markets around the globe, was the first time that a sell-off in China triggered such a major loss in market values - one that was far larger than the entire Chinese market. It was not only an overdue reminder that investors get scared from time to time - usually after periods of over-enthusiasm - but also demonstrated the dramatic and growing impact of what I call the "Emerging Markets Century."

What are we in the USA and the rest of the developed world to make of the fact that so much of what we consume is produced in the former Third World? One thing is that America (but also Europe and Japan) will need to get used to the idea that we are no longer the center of the economic and political universe. Even more important, we should resist the knee-jerk reaction of protectionism that would likely stifle innovation.

Yet, in the USA, we have been slow to accept this new reality. Countries such as Mexico, South Korea and Russia are no longer basket cases in need of rescue. Emerging markets now own three-quarters of the world's foreign exchange reserves, and their purchases influence U.S. mortgage rates. The brain drain is reversing just as budget and current account deficits (the broadest measure of a nation's trade gap) have crossed over into the developed world.

The world is not flat; it is tilting, with the USA rapidly moving from unquestioned dominance to greater dependence. And this is only the beginning. Twenty-five years from now, emerging markets will make up more than half of the global economy (up from 21% today) as the General Electrics and Microsofts of the future will increasingly hail from these new economies.

More than ever, the global economy is not a zero-sum game. More handsets, refrigerators and beer are sold in emerging markets than in mature markets. U.S. exports to emerging markets have increased 338% over the past 20 years, much faster than domestic demand. One billion new consumers and investors will turn many emerging markets into middle-class economies. Smart American corporations are already seeking their growth in emerging markets. GE plans to double its sales in emerging markets from 15% to 30% by 2010. Goldman Sachs built an important franchise in China. Dell and GM increasingly produce in India and China for the local markets.

Maintaining our edge

But that is clearly not enough to keep our competitive edge. Many more corporations should develop a clear emerging-markets strategy, embed their young managers with local families (as Procter & Gamble already does), build crucial local relationships, establish international focus groups to tailor products to local tastes, and form business alliances with this new breed of companies. And our universities should focus more on creative problem solving and integrate study and work experience abroad if we want students to be comfortable with foreign languages and cultures.

When we look at history, a creative response has often succeeded where protectionism has failed. President Kennedy's inspiring call to put a man on the moon when Russia seemed to be "winning" provided the United States decades of technological superiority. Today, leading U.S. universities remain the best, while creative companies such as Google and Apple are more than competitive.

As a nation, we need a "National Competitiveness" campaign that sets ambitious goals such as developing a successor to the internal-combustion engine, but also tackles legacy issues (high cost of health and pension benefits for current, older and retired workers), places more emphasis on creativity in education and gives infrastructure a much-needed face lift. The choice between protectionism and a creative response to the tectonic shift in the global economy (and global power) could well become one of the key issues in the next presidential campaign. Instead of complaining and agonizing about this new competitive threat, our focus should be on turning it into an exciting opportunity.

Antoine van Agtmael is chairman and CEO of Emerging Markets Management, LLC. He recently published The Emerging Markets Century: How A New Breed of World-Class Companies is Overtaking the World.

TMT, I'm sure this is not what you were after,
but we are already slid off the top. America's
life expectancy and rate of childhood diseases
is way down on the list. With that metric,
we're already nearly third world.

How about a national effort to reverse *that*
trend?

Jim

I just heard this morning that the US will build ONLY ONE new Virginia Class Submarine in the next year or years... The Comeee Chinks build an average of 2 1/2 of the same capability subs EVERY YEAR....

Do you feeel lucky?

Even more important, we should resist the knee-jerk reaction of protectionism that would likely stifle innovation.
I wonder how old this guy was when America was still quite protectionist and did not stifle innovation.

Steve

[ 03-08-2007, 11:15 PM: Message edited by: machinehead61 ]

I am glad to hear that Mexico is not a 'basket case'. Is there some way we can inform the fifty million or so mestizos that are in the USA about the new, emerging Mexico so that they will all go back there?

I don't feel very competitive today.

How long will it take to complete this road system?

NAFTA_Super_Highway.jpg

Just a prediction....I Hope I'm wrong..

Well, that's how long plus a few years when the Commeeee Chinks will OWN the USA.

They will have more than enough Subs to invade the US..

You will bow down to the new world order, like it or not.

Enjoy your new life, I'l be dead.

As a nation, we need a "National Competitiveness" campaign that sets ambitious goals
Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!!!

such as developing a successor to the internal-combustion engine
Already exists - electric motors.

but also tackles legacy issues (high cost of health and pension benefits for current, older and retired workers)
National Health Care! National Pensions!

places more emphasis on creativity in education
They're already doing that in schools! Kids are taught that the Founders were slave owners, that America is racist and that white folks are all evil.

Well, maybe they weren't talking about "Creative license", were they?

and gives infrastructure a much-needed face lift.
Yes! Public works, paid out of tax dollars!!

Funny, I don't recall one of these "initiatives" putting the US on top the last time around.

The choice between protectionism and a creative response to the tectonic shift in the global economy (and global power) could well become one of the key issues in the next presidential campaign. Instead of complaining and agonizing about this new competitive threat, our focus should be on turning it into an exciting opportunity.
Yeah, an opportunity to grow the State.

Earth to Idealists - the Eastern Bloc highly educated a lot of people. There were tons of "Doctors" and "Academicians".

They tried these "methods" too. Did not work.

Not ONE SINGLE MENTION of what is growing China; Entrepreneurialism.

What is growing India; Entrepreneurialism.

What is lacking amongst American Elites; respect for Entrepreneurialism.

No, nothing about getting out of the way of creative people. Nothing about rationalizing business regulations. Nothing about Tort Reform.

Oh well, not all is lost. I think that the "Progressives" are rapidly becoming parodies of themselves. So are the Neo-Cons. They may yet go down the swirly together, leaving behind sensible people who will clean up the mess.

In Old Europe the natives are dying off, being replaced by Islamic peoples who might be a bit more sensible about commerce (many were traders historically).

Probably before that China and India will buy us all out. We'll learn capitalism the old fashioned way - apprenticeship under more experienced people.

Time may yet save us from these "do gooders".

Gene

Probably before that China and India will buy us all out.
Ohh?? You think they will need to actually "buy us out" ?? Have you checked who funds our national debt? THEY OWN Soooooo much of us now. No buying us... they'l just say..PAY UP !!!

I hope I'm wrong

Ohh?? You think they will need to actually "buy us out" ?? Have you checked who funds our national debt? THEY OWN Soooooo much of us now. No buying us... they'l just say..PAY UP !!!
Who is "us" and "we"? Are you referring to private debt such as mortgage notes, business debt, credit card debt, student loans and such? That's debt that we individually owe creditors - and most of that lucrative trade is probably held domestically.

Are you referring to T-notes and other government debt? I'm not responsible for US debt. The US government is responsible for collecting taxes to pay off the debt.

When I mean "buy out" I mean that Chinese and Indian entrepreneurs come to America to buy businesses and create their own opportunities.

What Nancy Pelosi and George "Compassionate Conservative" Bush slough onto the pile of funny money ain't my deal. They can tax me for it if they want, but I'm not on the hook for it.

Gene

"They're already doing that in schools! Kids are taught that the Founders were slave owners, that
America is racist and that white folks are all evil."

Ah, hold on there. I seem to recall that
you don't actually *have* any kids so maybe
you don't have firsthand knowledge of exactly
what they *do* teach in school these days?

I see a lot of rhetoric but nobody, and I mean
NOBODY seems to come up with the answer for why
we, as a country have simply stopped graduating
folks with degrees (and especially graduate
degrees) in math, science, and engineering. Or,
I should say, american citizens with those
degrees.

Gene, Mission, you folks are really really good
at putting the straw men up, and mission
especially good at insulting folks for fun.

Maybe it's time to put the collective brain
power to work to figure out that ONE SINGLE
QUESTION about why we as americans simply no
longer value education in math, science, or
engineering.

All others are welcome to chime in here, and
stupid personal insults will be met with hoots
of derision and laughter. But the question is
serious and I would claim that solving that
one connundrum would make a big difference.

Jim

Here's my take on it...

The answer sits right in front of you.

Do you care if the worker who made what you buy has a college degree? Do you care if they have "health care"? Do you care if they have a guaranteed pension?

Do you care if they had "fun" in grade school, that they were taught to be "creative" or "flexible" by government teachers?

You want "quality". You want price. You want availability.

It's what you want as a consumer. Right?

Why does anyone feel that a consumer in India, China, Malaysia or Japan gives a flying fig what the worker over here is doing, beyond how it pertains to their purchase?

Are we that narcissistic, that we think that others care so much about us? "Yay! This product has been touched by the hands of an American Worker! It is blessed!".

I don't think so....

America isn't the center of the Universe. We're not even a major player in some markets today.

One of the best bits of advice I saw in the above article was traveling to other places and learning about people. Not "embedding" them with families, but having them work alongside of their peers elsewhere.

I spent two weeks working alongside of my peers from a not-to-be-named country. They're pleasant and interesting. They like it when you try to speak to them in their home language. They enjoy talking in English and getting help with it.

They are proud of their own country. They are not impressed with "Americans". They are impressed with competence, professional courtesy and a desire for excellence.

America is getting a little reality therapy. Some of us are "getting it" and working harder to make our customers happy.

Others are whining, or playing politics and grubbing a bit for their own parochial interests (unions, educators, bureaucrats, etc.).

The answer sits right in front of us - what does the customer want?

Ask that question, and then ask if it's worth your effort to give them what they want.

It's the same all over the world - you can have it good, fast or cheap - pick any two.

If you're into something above poverty wages, you better get used to attention to detail, listening instead of flapping your gums and hustling.

That's my take on it, that and respecting private property and entrepreneurialism.

The rest of the above to me is one person's attempt to market some "solutions" which benefit vested interests - who themselves better learn to please their customers instead of acting like royalty.

Party is over ladies and gents.

Gene

Maybe it's time to put the collective brain
power to work to figure out that ONE SINGLE
QUESTION about why we as americans simply no
longer value education in math, science, or
engineering.
First of all, Jim, searching for a single answer to a complex problem guarantees frustration. I would hope that you'd take a moment and apply your brain to the fact that there is probably a reason for every kid who takes an "easy" major or goes into industry directly from high school rather than take a degree or pursue a career in the sciences or technologies.

The "causes" are probably as follows....

1. Most careers in science and technology require graduate degrees. I and two friends have BS degrees in technical fields - we're not thriving in our fields.

Grad school requires substantial investments of time, effort and tolerance for PC. At the end of the process you have to find a job in your field.

Not a few of the engineering disciplines are cyclical and dependent upon the economy.

2. Most kids are probably spoiled brats whose parents were spoiled brats. They figure that if they "go to college" they're gonna get a "nice job" like Mommy and Daddy did when they graduated.

So they do playstation and indulge in trivialities instead of learning the fundamentals.

3. Computers have eliminated much of the lower level drudgery once done by entry level technical people. Drafting, modeling, simulations. These tasks were apprenticeships for people who were working their way up through technical fields.

4. High tech firms are capital intensive. Such money has strings attached to it. Overseas it's not as bad.

5. Many Universities and schools are sargassos of Political Correctness. Men are pigs. White males are exploitive pigs.

6 and onwards..... probably a reason for each kid. Ask a few and see what you find out.

Jim, I don't need to have kids in school. I have ears. I hear about this crap from my peers who have kids in school.

I also have befriended professional educators. They are a haughty bunch and quite proud of their progressive attitudes. Alas.

Gene

"I see a lot of rhetoric but nobody, and I mean
NOBODY seems to come up with the answer for why
we, as a country have simply stopped graduating
folks with degrees (and especially graduate
degrees) in math, science, and engineering. Or,
I should say, american citizens with those
degrees."

--------

Has to be perceived opportunity in the job market after graduating! Advanced degree's are expensive but surely that cannot be the biggest issue.

GeneH
Not ONE SINGLE MENTION of what is growing China; Entrepreneurialism.
Protectionist China

"However, it is still difficult to penetrate some areas of the Chinese market, "particularly where innovation or technology play a key role."6 For example, China's 17 percent value-added tax ("VAT") on semiconductors raised the ire of U.S. industry and trade officials because tax rebates were awarded to domestic semiconductor producers that allowed these companies to pay no more than 6 percent VAT fees.7 Since this practice put the domestic industry at a competitive advantage vis-à-vis imports,8 the U.S. requested formal consultations with China at the WTO in March, 20049--a precursor to a complaint being lodged--but the parties resolved the issue diplomatically.10 China's WAPI policy can be viewed through the same lens: another example of Chinese barriers to trade in the high-tech sector. WAPI refers to a proprietary standard for wireless technologies, the use of which China announced it would require for all wireless products sold in China, rather than the widely-used Wi-Fi standard. This iBrief argues that China's WAPI policy is inconsistent with its WTO obligations."

Pretty easy to be an entrepreneur when your domestic market is protected from foreign competition - even American competition - whose per capita income of $42,000 compared to China's $1,709 is at a 25:1 disadvantage. Plus seven of the ten most polluted cities in the world are in China so the Chinese entrepreneur need not worry about EPA regulations. Plus workers are human cattle in the "Workers' paradise":

Chinese Sweatshops

"Companies are attracted to doing business in the People's Republic of China because of its low-tax development zones, cut-price abundant workforce, and totalitarianism. Independent trade unions are banned by the Communist Party. Assembly-line personnel in free-trade zones in south China operate machinery without safety guards and spray paint with inadequate face masks. They often die in industrial accidents or from gulaosi, the Chinese term for death from overwork. Workplace death rates in China are at least 12 times those of Britain and 13 factory workers a day lose a finger or an arm in the boom city of Shenzhen. In a sign of official disquiet, the state-owned China Daily reported in November that a 30-year-old woman, He Chunmei, died from exhaustion after working 24-hours non-stop at a handicraft factory."

If that's your idea of "entrepreneurialism", you can keep it.

Steve

They're already doing that in schools! Kids are taught that the Founders were slave owners, that America is racist and that white folks are all evil.
Historic Jamestown marks 400 years since 'invasion'
'Celebration' banned as events condemn 'holocaust' that resulted

Use of the word "celebration" is being banned at this year's special events ordered by Congress to mark the 400th anniversary of the arrival of settlers in Jamestown, 13 years before the Plymouth Pilgrims appeared on America's shores, because it was an "invasion" that resulted in a "holocaust," organizers say.

"You can't celebrate an invasion," Mary Wade, a member of Jamestown 2007 organizing committee, has stated. After all, Indian tribes "were pushed back off of their land, even killed. Whole tribes were annihilated. A lot of people carry that oral history with them, and that's why they use the word 'invasion,' because it truly was an invasion, and I'm sure some of the Indian people will probably want to tell that as a part of the story of 400 years."
Phillips said America is known world-wide for its celebration, from the millions of dollars worth of fireworks ignited each 4th of July to the major festivities launched for other events, such as the 1976 Bicentennial.

But now, for the first time ever, the nation is ashamed of itself, so ashamed, he noted, Jamestown 2007 officials have banned the use of the word "celebration" in their materials.
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=54603

truthfully i feel that America already has the advantage over most countries, to be succesful a country needs to be energy rich, raw materials rich and finally skills rich, America satisfies these basic requirements, it needs to then convert these basics into cash, it would seem that this is where the problem lies, you have the skills, materials and the energy to manufacture just about anything, to convert to cash the goods must be exported, self consumption does not make money on the global scale, you are just feeding the workers, developing countries do not self consume what end product they make, the old saying that they will work all day for a bowl of rice is actually true, how many chinese or indian workers have enough room to live in let alone the standard of living that we collectivly enjoy in the west, our expectations on standard of living are high, make no bones about it, our excess is eqivalent to thier profit, and also i think that the enviromental issues lead to us having material resources but unable or uneconomic to use them, you only need to look at manufacturing in the uk to see what will happen, from a net exporter to a consumer in decades, no more coal or steel, revenue from the north sea oil used to try to maintain our standard of living instead of being invested in manufacturing capacity [Italy is a good example of how to do it, they invested in manufacturing and education, now they have quite a strong engineering presence].
the one letdown America has is its goverment, they set the policies, they hold the purse strings and if they do not want to invest in the American people then so be it, come over here, there are plenty of museums to celibrate industry, unfortunatly the exhibits are the industry.
regards.
mark

quote; "Phillips said America is known world-wide for its celebration, from the millions of dollars worth of fireworks ignited each 4th of July to the major festivities launched for other events, such as the 1976 Bicentennial".
wonder where they were manufactured !.
mark

From Jim R, "Maybe it's time to put the collective brain power to work to figure out that ONE SINGLE QUESTION about why we as americans simply no longer value education in math, science, or engineering."

A first step here might be to look at what we are doing to advise our own kids as they plan their education and careers. Are we encouraging hard work in school? Assuming they have the aptitude and interest do we encourage them to take AP Math and Science courses in High School? Do we tell them about opportunities in Math, Science and Engineering or do we share doom and gloom scenarios about a US without manufacturing? One on one conversations and leading by example have more influence than any grand governmental program.

In my case, my oldest will graduate HS this year #2 in his class of ~160 and is considering Applied Math or Chemical Engineering as college majors. One of his friends, who is #1 in the class will be going to engineering school, most likely for ME. The #3 in the class is also planning to go to engineering school. In fact, most of his friends who have taken the AP science and math classes are planning on pursuing engineering or science careers. One of the few exceptions is a friend who wants to be a science teacher.

Another son, who is in 10th grade, and an honor roll student may enroll in a 2 year Metals Trades program next year - over 2 years he'll get an introduction to manual machining, CNC, metrology, CAD and basic fab techniques including gas, stick, MIG and TIG welding.

What do my kids hear at home? That we are living in a time of tremendous change and that there are lots of opportunities for people with technical skills.

I hope you are right andy. I think gene's
'party's over' comment may be closer to the
truth - I am sure that somebody *with* a college
education in a technical field will do better
than their counterpart without, however...

Given my experiences as an engineer watching
layoffs and the rate at which research and
science is being mimimized these days, I am
honestly not going to push my kid into an
engineering degree, in spite of the fact that
she's all A's in math and science. I think
the jury is still out on engineering careers
in the US, as per many of the posters' comments.

Yes she's gonna get a four year college education
but it won't be at a specialized engineering
school.

Jim

Back