What's new
What's new

Is this a Bos'n Whistle and a PETA taunt

peter

Titanium
Found this in a pile of 'stuff' at local 2nd hand antique shop. I think it came from an estate with a lot of naval things.
Can anyone identify? I though it looked like a Bos'n whistle, but I cannot match up exactly on the internet. The construction is similar to a steam whistle. My lungs will create a good sound, but more like a mini tug boat than sharp hi-pitch I recall from the movies.

Second photo is a real fur hat. Same estate. I got it for cheap, so figure what the heck. Turns out to be very warm and comfy. Maybe I can provoke a PETA in the ars response some time :) I'll take natural animal parts over toxic waste plastics any day-Just not an option very often these days. I am going to wear this all winter.

Attachments

• Four_Views.jpg
    Four_Views.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 539
  • Fur_Hat.jpg
    Fur_Hat.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 486
Last edited:
I believe the whistle you have is a British policeman's whistle, not a bosun's pipe.
Courtesy Google Images:

Attachments

• bosuns_whistle.jpg
    bosuns_whistle.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 356
  • British_Police_Whistle.jpg
    British_Police_Whistle.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 284
Last edited:
Wow all of 8 minutes! Thank you Eric.

I did not see the link, here is another:

https://www.google.com/search?q=ima...British+policeman's+whistle&tbm=isch&imgdii=_

I guess this guy, saw the world. The hat tag is some foreign language. He also had what appeared to be a black silk robe with dragon on the back and big sleeves. I kinda wish I got a price on that. ... I may go back. Had that "Last Samurai" look.

It is sad in a way. An unknown person's belonging's gathered up and sold wholesale to a house cleaner.

Other types of whistles were used on shipboard, for instance, to direct cargo loading. The whistle may be a British policeman's whistle, and a mate's whistle as well.

Beaver in my house don't look a think like that.

OTOH one of the cats, curled up, does seem a bit similar to that.
I think it's some kind of feline object.

P eople
E ating
T asty
A nimals

Peter, my Step-Father did some work in Russia in the 1980's. It was winter and of course very cold. He got this hat there and said everyone wore them. It is beaver.
And you're right about it being a great hat. If it gets down below zero, this is the hat I wear to walk down and get the paper in the morning.
The writing is getting a little hard to read but I think it is Cyrillic.

Attachments

• DSCN5299.jpg
    DSCN5299.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 202
  • DSCN5297.jpg
    DSCN5297.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 186
I found "PMK" with a ram head logo inside the hat. A quick Google, shows some vintage Russian hats. So; yes, Russian.

Back