What's new
What's new

Kinda OT: what paint arrestor pads do you prefer

daryl bane

Titanium
Time to replace my spun fiberglass pads in the paint booth. I see a bunch of different types. One is called Paint Pockets, made of paper , but pricey. Any preferences?

I bought some 24"x24"x1" pads from Grainger. Supporting the filter is a 1/8" bar frame. When the elements needed replacing I kept the bare frames.
The filter felt like soft foam from a seat cushion. Is it cheaper and less wasteful to buy bulk rolls and attach to a metal frame?

Last edited:
Mine are sized 20" x 20" and mount in a permanent metal framework. They are held in the frame by individual wire grids that just push into the frame. I am not a painter that does this for a living, only for my motorcycle restorations. A paint booth is a luxury, but so much better than stringing up stuff outside. Been there, done that.

What style air movement is in your paint booth? Such as "down draft"?
Are your replacements for the input or output air.
In my experience both sides get paint film.

Its a Col-Met open front, just like the 1st pic in that article. The fan is behind the filters, sucks the air in and out thru the chimney, and the paint particles stick on the filters. I get alittle residue past the filters but not much, all in the duct and wipe it out occasionally with a paper towel and lacquer thinner.

Its a Col-Met open front, just like the 1st pic in that article. The fan is behind the filters, sucks the air in and out thru the chimney, and the paint particles stick on the filters. I get alittle residue past the filters but not much, all in the duct and wipe it out occasionally with a paper towel and lacquer thinner.
Ah, I remember when I worked at Tektronix. I went down in the basement of one production building and
talked my way into using some tools in the machine shop. The paint area had a system just like you describe.

Mine is a side draft in and bottom draft down. The filter is on the input side. With the floor wet I can get results
that have very little to do with dust and dirt. But everything to do with proper techniques.

Back