What's new
What's new

OT: Prostate cancer, need I say more........

Well, I got the word no one wants to hear today. I have prostate cancer. At a check up the doc called for a PSA test, it came back as elevated. Next step was a biopsy, 12 samples taken, 9 were cancerous. The prostate is about twice normal size. They want to do a cat scan to see where it has spread to. Doc says surgery works as well as radiation, anybody around here done one or the other? What was it like?

So sorry Moonlight , stay tough I start the all the heart tests end of the month
and other tests in September Dr. says passing out is not normal.
So we are eventually all into this getting old shit together.
Best wishes .

I was diagnosed fifteen years or so ago. I opted for surgery since the doctor pointed out that even after surgery, radiation was still an option. However, after radiation enough tissue is compromised that surgery isn't a second option. In my case there was no cancer detected outside the capsule and the PSA has been below measurable levels ever since. I also thought if I get surgeries, a younger age is in my favor, compared to HAVING to have surgery in later years.

Wish you all the best. There's a book out that gives you a lot of background.

Friend was diagnosed. His original Dr pushed him to have his prostate removed. Losing your prostate creates a whole 'nother set of issues. He opted otherwise for a procedure called cyber knife. He went through a series of targeted radiation treatments and came out cancer free. To me, removing the prostate shouldn't be the first option. Get other Dr opinions for your options. Good luck!

Sorry to hear this, I went through throat cancer five years ago and am still here today danmit!

My best advise is to educate yourself as much as possible. There's all kinds of "real" info out there from studies on the different types of treatment to actual patient forums like this one. Try not to get sucked down the "alternate" treatment hole, as an ENT buddy said when I was diagnosed, 'We aren't treating the common sold here".

Been down that road, not a lot of fun. Lots to consider in surgery vs. radiation. Too complicated to summarize, you'll need to do some reading/research.
One good source on youtube, "Prostate Cancer Research Institute".

Every case is different and many factors can be at play so educate yourself and talk to a number of oncologists to make your decision.
In my case at age 82 and 3 biopsy samples positive with a Gleason score of 4/3 the general consensus was watchful waiting was not a good option and radiation was the best course.
There were two options available. A long term (45 treatments over a number of months) option, and a shorter option called Cyberknife using a computer controlled robot to administer high doses but only to very localized areas.
The outcomes and cure rates are similar.
I opted for the Cyberknife. That involves diagnostic tests to determine size and actual location. Then small gold markers are implanted in the prostate. Not a pleasant experiance but not too bad either, very similar to the biopsy.
After that it was five 30 minute painless radiation treatments over 10 days laying on a table while the robot moved to aim the fine beam.
There were no detectable, at least so far, side effects and a year later my PSA is too low to read.
Talk to several doctors about side effects of any treatment option including how it might affect your sex life.
Best of luck and realize that prostate cancer has a very high cure rate.......Bob

Very sorry to hear that! You can beat this, I have had some uncles and friends that have. Wishing you the best of luck and prayers.

Well, I got the word no one wants to hear today. I have prostate cancer. At a check up the doc called for a PSA test, it came back as elevated. Next step was a biopsy, 12 samples taken, 9 were cancerous. The prostate is about twice normal size. They want to do a cat scan to see where it has spread to. Doc says surgery works as well as radiation, anybody around here done one or the other? What was it like?
So sorry to hear of that! I have four friends who have had prostate cancer. One of them opted for the radiation pellets - that was about 15 years ago and he is in good shape. One had his prostate removed about 15 years ago and he is in good shape. One had his removed about 4 months ago and he is still struggling with bladder control. I guess it takes a bit of practice to get the hang of shutting off the flow without a prostate. I can't remember what the 4th friend opted for but he is still alive and well also.

Additionally, I read an amazing story, "My Cancer Story Rocks".

My uncle had his treated with radiation, he's been cancer free now for about 10 years, he's in his mid 60's.

As far as I know the treatment is pretty straightforward and not as invasive or have the side effects of removal.

Successful radiation patient here in 2016. Five days a week, about 7 weeks. 60 seconds on the treatment table. Biopsy, implanted gold targets, three tiny tattoos. Blood in the urine after biopsy is disconcerting, but passes in a few days.

Be wary of search results while studying up on the topic. Look at the sponsors of the research, usually disclosed at the end of the article. "it must be true, I saw it on the interweb!"

My current PSA, rate of increase, and current condition all point to dying with it, rather than from it. No serious side effects except occasional FU (frequency and urgency).

I've had a friend die of untreated prostate cancer, don't be a statistic.

Sorry to hear, hope all works out well

Only advice is look at the doctor's numbers. As for any surgery there are statistics for every hospital and doctor if I am informed correctly

Beware generic advice, because everything depends of the genetic details of the specific cancer one has, not the average over populations.

Also beware doctors that advertise on mass media.

The oncologist will present some options. In your case, it's surgery only followed by watchful waiting. This path incurs a small chance that radiation and/or chemo may later prove necessary. If not, you've won the bet, without incurring the cumulative side effects of radiation or chemo. If yes, you really haven't lost anything, and it will then be clear just what is now happening, so treatment may go in an originally unpredicted direction.

I chose surgery only; so far so good after many years.

" Blood in the urine after biopsy is disconcerting, but passes in a few days." It's not just in the urine. Was *very* disconcerting for us.... my biopsy was 13 punches and all came back clean.

Another point is, it's now possible to genotype the tumor cells, and that provides additional guidance about how best to treat.

Sorry to hear, an elderly friend (70ish) went thru this a few years ago, with success I must add. I will relay what he was told. If you do radiation, then you cannot do surgery, if you do surgery you may have side effects that may be unwanted, if you know what I mean. He went the radiation method where they plant "seeds" up your pooper, it worked for him and lives happily ever after, and his "junk" still works as planned. Last article I read on the topic, many doctors are in the "wait and watch" method, many times prostate cancer is a slow grower and if your old enough they might opt to not treat at all, just monitor it. If all dudes live long enough we will almost all get it at some point, many can live with it for many many years, as long as it does not move elsewhere.

Many years ago the surgery, prostatectomy, was always accompanied by erectile dysfunction afterwards. Then they worked out surgery techniques that preserve the nearby nerves, so if you elect for surgery make sure the surgeon knows the latest stuff.

Back