What's new
What's new

OT- what to do with an old model train set?

Trboatworks

Diamond
I have my fathers model train set he had as a boy.
Pre war I suppose.
We used to run it in the 60’s when I was a boy but it has been in storage since.
Not a huge set but it was complete with some buildings etc.

What to do?
Do the leg work- find out what it is and sell it somewhere?
Show up at a shop which sells such things and just take the offer for the whole lot?

I know it’s a family thing but it will remain in boxes the rest of my life- I need to send it along to someone who would enjoy it.
I’d like to get fair value out of it but that means naturally putting the time in to sort and present properly.

Anyone have experience with these old train sets?

Thanks all 2CB07E93-BDA2-4702-A03F-931EEC0D5548.jpeg1B06D83A-3961-4D9A-A8E5-74A723A3670E.jpeg

Edit- just a glance at EBay and it appears each component brings hundreds for the prewar kit.
I now have to bother to get value?
Another bloody job..

Last edited:
If you want to go the painless route, I would find a local hobby train store and send them pics of what you have.

Usually, these guys are pretty standup dudes, and will give you a fair price for a collector type train set. That is what you have there.

A real train guy will want it in the boxes to place in a collection behind glass in his basement/train room.

The pre-war stuff is going to garner some good coin for you, and it will go to a good home that wants to preserve it.

Good luck.

No nieces or nephews to gift it to? If not, either set it up in your shop, or sell it.
The sentimental value is very high on this sort of stuff. Isn't it? Good luck whatever you decide.

Every time I use my dad's old tools i never fail to think of him. Just recently I was struck with the thought what would happen to his tools , and mine, when I'm done with them. My son and daughter don't work with their hands, so grandkids and nieces/nephews will get most of them.

I hope they think of me and dad, but maybe not like this.

30531.jpeg

I've seen people go crazy for any pre-war train stuff, especially Lionel, on ebay bidding.
I've collected and restored several big Erector Sets years back. Now, I don't know what to do with them. I'll never get my investment back out of them that I spent on them.
But it seems anything Lionel holds its value regardless of condition. Anything related like the metal signs, buildings, and so forth, bring in just as much money, too.

No nieces or nephews to gift it to? If not, either set it up in your shop, or sell it.

Give it to the Nieces and Nephews for what purpose? 100% their not going to interested or appreciate it's value, like we would have done as kids.

Their not going to want to either keep it or store it.

As soon as their able too their going to sell the set, and will not put in the time to realise it's real value.

not too many cell phone apps for model trains and slot cars . kids wouldn't know what to do with them .

not to mention... average kids have very few skills that we were raised to appreciate...
erector set, tinkertoy,lincoln logs, the radio shack tandy 100+1 electronic experimenters kit, the Gilbert chemistry set have fallen way to sponge bob, pokemon,
tik tok and playstation.

also a rig like trains and slot cars suck unless you have them permanently setup
on a billiard -sized table .

Last edited:
Give it to the Nieces and Nephews for what purpose? 100% their not going to interested or appreciate it's value, like we would have done as kids.

Their not going to want to either keep it or store it.

As soon as their able too their going to sell the set, and will not put in the time to realise it's real value.
I gave a set to my brothers kids, they did play with them for a while, then moved onto video games, maybe one of them still has them squirreled away in a box, maybe they went to goodwill, IDK. Give them to a really young one, they may just use it as a shelf display, spark their imagination. I'd like to believe there are children left that are into trains, they maybe rare, but they are out there, maybe the OP needs to find one and make his/her day.

My little brother would love to sell those train items for you.

You'd maybe get 10% of what he sold them for, but they would be gone.

Back