What's new
What's new

Reviving Reed-Prentice lathe

khileman

Plastic
Hi all, I'm new to both this forum and to machinery in general, but I am diving into a project and need some help from some guys who know their stuff. We have a Reed-Prentice 16-inch lathe at the shop I am working at and I have been tasked with getting it up and running again. We are planning to use it for a simple, repetitive turning operation in a manufacturing process. The sight glass on the apron and the headstock are broken and the machine needs new fluid, so those are known issues, but it does not have the original 3-phase motor and what is in there right now doesn't work anyways. I am not finding much information about these machines online such as the original motor RPM and horsepower. The information plate says the highest turning speed is 637rpm. It seems some have 7.5 horsepower motors. This machine has serial number 61180 but no other markings on the nameplate (build date, etc.) I have attached some photos. Any suggestions for what kind of oil this uses and what kind of motor is appropriate for this machine would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_6160.jpg
    IMG_6160.jpg
    366.3 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_6162.jpg
    IMG_6162.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_6163.jpg
    IMG_6163.jpg
    410.9 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_6164.jpg
    IMG_6164.jpg
    376.8 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_6192.jpg
    IMG_6192.jpg
    344.8 KB · Views: 50
I have run jobs on a few Reed & Prentice geared head engine lathes, and have owned a 16" R & P. As engine lathes go, they are up there as a heavy duty engine lathe. About the only downside to the R & P lathes was the bedways being a bit softer. An R & P lathe that saw hard use usually has some significant bed wear.

That being said, I always found the R & P lathes to be a solid, user friendly machine tool. I remember hogging a job out of a chunk of maybe 6" diameter Cr-Ni alloy steel. At the time, I was running a 16" Reed & Prentice lathe that I owned, and it had a 'lantern' style toolpost. I kept taking heavier cuts, eventually peeling off something better than 0.250" in one cut. What finally limited the depth of cut was when the force on the tool bit turned the whole toolpost. R & P used to have an advertisement showing how heavy a cut their lathes could take, with chips that looked to have come off a cut better than 1/2" deep per side.

I used ISO 46 oil in the headstock of my R & P lathe, and used a 'way lube' in the apron. My own R & P lathe dated to 1952, and had a felt filter for the lubricating oil in the headstock. The felt filter was way down deep in the back of the headstock. It is something to check and clean before putting the lathe into service again.

The broken sight glasses can be replaced using clear "Lexan" or "Plexiglass" (acrylic plastic) and some RTV silicon 'gasket eliminator' to seal them.

I believe the OP's lathe to be a bit more recent than the 1952 R & P lathe I owned. I base this on the fact that the levers on the headstock have plastic knobs on them/ The older R & P lathes had levers cast with the knobs as one piece.

Tyrone: My guess is both broken sight glasses were the handiwork of someone who either had an axe to grind with the management in the shop, or simply as an act of vandalism for self gratification. It's on the order of people chunking rocks thru any available window on abandoned buildings (or on some other buildings which become targets) and abandoned vehicles. There is a perverse mechanism in some people that makes windows and similar glass irresistable to them. Some sorry SOB smashed out the sight glasses, thinking it was great fun to watch the oil run out. I think that all of us who have lived any length of time and worked in various places have run into these sorts of people. This same sub-specie also manifests itself by drilling plenty of holes in drill press tables, with their end result making the 'arc or shame', or a drill press table that is cratered like the surface of the moon.

I have run jobs on a few Reed & Prentice geared head engine lathes, and have owned a 16" R & P. As engine lathes go, they are up there as a heavy duty engine lathe. About the only downside to the R & P lathes was the bedways being a bit softer. An R & P lathe that saw hard use usually has some significant bed wear.

That being said, I always found the R & P lathes to be a solid, user friendly machine tool. I remember hogging a job out of a chunk of maybe 6" diameter Cr-Ni alloy steel. At the time, I was running a 16" Reed & Prentice lathe that I owned, and it had a 'lantern' style toolpost. I kept taking heavier cuts, eventually peeling off something better than 0.250" in one cut. What finally limited the depth of cut was when the force on the tool bit turned the whole toolpost. R & P used to have an advertisement showing how heavy a cut their lathes could take, with chips that looked to have come off a cut better than 1/2" deep per side.

I used ISO 46 oil in the headstock of my R & P lathe, and used a 'way lube' in the apron. My own R & P lathe dated to 1952, and had a felt filter for the lubricating oil in the headstock. The felt filter was way down deep in the back of the headstock. It is something to check and clean before putting the lathe into service again.

The broken sight glasses can be replaced using clear "Lexan" or "Plexiglass" (acrylic plastic) and some RTV silicon 'gasket eliminator' to seal them.

I believe the OP's lathe to be a bit more recent than the 1952 R & P lathe I owned. I base this on the fact that the levers on the headstock have plastic knobs on them/ The older R & P lathes had levers cast with the knobs as one piece.

Tyrone: My guess is both broken sight glasses were the handiwork of someone who either had an axe to grind with the management in the shop, or simply as an act of vandalism for self gratification. It's on the order of people chunking rocks thru any available window on abandoned buildings (or on some other buildings which become targets) and abandoned vehicles. There is a perverse mechanism in some people that makes windows and similar glass irresistable to them. Some sorry SOB smashed out the sight glasses, thinking it was great fun to watch the oil run out. I think that all of us who have lived any length of time and worked in various places have run into these sorts of people. This same sub-specie also manifests itself by drilling plenty of holes in drill press tables, with their end result making the 'arc or shame', or a drill press table that is cratered like the surface of the moon.
I never did get the liking for those “ lantern style “ tool posts Joe. You rarely/never see them over here. Give me a standard 4 way indexable set up any time.

Regards Tyrone.

Great info so far! We need a replacement tool post for this lathe too, any suggestions for that would be helpful too.

Great info so far! We need a replacement tool post for this lathe too, any suggestions for that would be helpful too.
If you go to the Aloris website you can download their current catalogue (2017), on page 29 they list their recommendations for tool post size for a number of lathes. For Reed-Prentice, 14 and 16 inch models they suggest the size CA.

When ever I look at this page I get a little sad looking at all the US lathe builders they list and knowing that almost all of them are long gone...

David

Hi all, I'm new to both this forum and to machinery in general, but I am diving into a project and need some help from some guys who know their stuff. We have a Reed-Prentice 16-inch lathe at the shop I am working at and I have been tasked with getting it up and running again. We are planning to use it for a simple, repetitive turning operation in a manufacturing process. The sight glass on the apron and the headstock are broken and the machine needs new fluid, so those are known issues, but it does not have the original 3-phase motor and what is in there right now doesn't work anyways. I am not finding much information about these machines online such as the original motor RPM and horsepower. The information plate says the highest turning speed is 637rpm. It seems some have 7.5 horsepower motors. This machine has serial number 61180 but no other markings on the nameplate (build date, etc.) I have attached some photos. Any suggestions for what kind of oil this uses and what kind of motor is appropriate for this machine would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

My 1954 16x60 Reed Prentice looks the same as yours, for the most part.

Differences being a higher range of speeds with 1200 rpm the top end. I believe it has a 5 hp motor.(if memory serves) Mine also has an integral chip pan.

Mine is a joy to run, nicely laid out controls, and as pointed out, it WILL peel some heavy chips when asked.

Hodge

Link for the manual, if you've not seen it. Somewhat earlier models of the same lathe. Doesn't show motor speed and HP options though.
I'd imagine that either a 5 or 7.5 hp would be fine. My 16" P&W lathe has a 7.5 hp motor for instance.
The spindle does have anti-friction rather than plain bearings, so I think a 1725 hp motor probably wouldn't damage the lathe... but it would likely throw the spindle speeds way off the data plate.
That's about all I could say without some time spent on research... which would consist foremost of searching RP threads on this site (I know people have talked several times here about motor/spindle RPMs) and looking at used RP lathes for sale on the net.
As far as the toolpost, I second getting a quick change set in a CA size. That's perfect on my lathe. If you can't budget Aloris or Dorian etc, Shars or Phase II works OK in my experience. I would recommend getting the slightly more expensive wedge-type rather than plunger-type configuration though. More solid and repeatable IMO.

Back