What's new
What's new

South Bend Heavy 10 spindle shims

Hi :
I used to shim the bearings of generators, some 6" shafts, 800kW, 1800rpm.
The generators run 24h/day, 365days/year.

I used aluminum kitchen foil. The thichness is 0.0006 . sometimes 0.0007 inch.

The final adusting after each new shim, is turning the shaft by hand. Run 4hours under temperature observation, and cheking again turning by hand.

To cut the shim, I used to lay the foil over the flat of the bearing, and hit the foil with a small plastic hammer.

Hello all I am literally bolting the tooling together this afternoon. I still need a few weeks for testing and gathering materials.

This is Good News

Hello all I am literally bolting the tooling together this afternoon. I still need a few weeks for testing and gathering materials.

Thgis is good news FSH. I am still interested in a set and will continue to follow this thread so that I may order a set when they are available.

Vlad

South bend heavy 10 shims

:scratchchin:Hello all, I have 2 questions
what total thickness per side should I make the shim stack up?
and does anyone know where I can purchase .001 laminated stock? I can only find .002

Laminated Shim Stock

and does anyone know where I can purchase .001 laminated stock? I can only find .002

Hi- I also cannot find laminated shim stock of .001" thick layers. I am wondering if this thickness is so thin to make
a lamination impractical (too difficult to peel off individual layers). I would still purchase shims from you if you used
.002" laminated shim stock but also offered individual .001" shims as well. Let me know if you would be willing to
supply machined shims for the S.B. Heavy 10" lathe in these two configurations. Thanks.

Sorry for the delay guys, I have just finished a 2 year remodel on our house, we should have torn it down and started from scratch it would have been easier. Any way I was missing an auto ejector for my tooling, which I think I have figured out, so hopefully I will have the first pieces done soon. I will keep you posted, cheers.

Not sure if the .001 is laminated, but McMaster-Carr has .001 brass shim stock. They list a shim pack with one of each size for about $50, but not cut to shape.

McMaster-Carr

I am going to do the machining for m auto ejector next week. After I test everything, the tooling should be ready to go shortly there after. I just wanted to keep everyone posted. Cheers

HEAVY_10_SHIM_FRONT.jpg
I am running test, and should be done in a few weeks, I will keep you posted.
I have overcome the shim stack issue, they will be .023 with ONE .001 shim and the rest will be .002

South bend heavy 10 ten shims

Hello the shims are done, if you would like a set I will honor the 20.00 + 4.00 shipping price for the month of August, you will have to send cash or a post office money order. I will sell one set per person only. Please e-mail me at [email protected] for my address. cheers

Hello the shims are done, if you would like a set I will honor the 20.00 + 4.00 shipping price for the month of August, you will have to send cash or a post office money order. I will sell one set per person only. You can e-mail me at [email protected]

Back