What's new
What's new

Stark lathe (or so I believe)

nickfrigault

Plastic
I am looking for any information that you guys may have about this lathe and the attachments that come with it that I recently acquired. I saw this lathe come up for sale local on facebook marketplace and my curiosity led me to bringing it home. I find it pretty interesting and from what I can see is it attached to a chevrolet transmission (3 speed + reverse). There is no other nameplates or stamps that I can see. I took a manual machining course during my time at college but it was mostly basic operation.I put a peice of stock in the 3 jaw chuck and when turning it on I noticed it shaked quite a bit almost like there was some slack in the headstock. I guess my question is, Does anyone have experience rebuilding these lathes and where is the best place to start/what tools and information is out there to help with the process. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0667.jpeg
    IMG_0667.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0668.jpeg
    IMG_0668.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0666.jpeg
    IMG_0666.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0669.jpeg
    IMG_0669.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0734.jpeg
    IMG_0734.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0737.jpeg
    IMG_0737.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0742.jpeg
    IMG_0742.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0741.jpeg
    IMG_0741.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0743.jpeg
    IMG_0743.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0744.jpeg
    IMG_0744.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 39
Yup, a 19th century #4. There should be a serial # stamped into the bed surface on the right hand side. It is missing the makers brass tag that would have been on the left front under the headstock. The bench and drive are probably later than the lathe.
Stark lathe/mills are pretty rare. I drove all the way to Florida from Philly to get mine. I don't think Stark made milling vises but rather indexing heads and tailstocks. That's at least what mine came with. I think the whole design was mainly intended for clockmakers

Edit, sorry I missed the car tranny part, so definitely a later bench. Looks well built.

Yup, a 19th century #4. There should be a serial # stamped into the bed surface on the right hand side. It is missing the makers brass tag that would have been on the left front under the headstock. The bench and drive are probably later than the lathe.
Stark lathe/mills are pretty rare. I drove all the way to Florida from Philly to get mine. I don't think Stark made milling vises but rather indexing heads and tailstocks. That's at least what mine came with. I think the whole design was mainly intended for clockmakers

Edit, sorry I missed the car tranny part, so definitely a later bench. Looks well built.
Thanks for the information, I will see if I can find the serial number. Also how does the indexing head system work? How does it go from horizontal to vertical for “milling”. Also do you recognize the attachments? I see the name 6 position turret when looking for similar peices online but unsure on how it works. Sorry for all the questions, since you have a similar lathe I figure I might be able to get some better insight from you. Thanks!

Back