What's new
What's new

Tooling advice needed

Mr. D must have some fun, and draw a real crowd when he goes stepping out in that
morgan. Thanks for the photos.

Me and a guy at work, have a crazy plan to build a replica out of a honda CX-500
twin, and the front end of a small quad. The real draw here is the fact that
the honda motor is liquid cooled (I had thought the morgans were all air-cooled!)
and could have the chance for the all-important 'red' knob in the cockpit,
the one that could be labeled "heat."

For two-wheel veterans, the chance to have heat in your vehicle, means you
could extend the riding season to all year round.

"Thread what????"

smt_bronzeduck2.jpg

We had our guy bronzed. Makes him a lot more cooperative, especially where machining is involved.

smt

Mr. D must have some fun, and draw a real crowd when he goes stepping out in that
morgan.

Yeah, he gets all the chicks.

Me and a guy at work, have a crazy plan to build a replica out of a honda CX-500
twin, and the front end of a small quad. The real draw here is the fact that
the honda motor is liquid cooled (I had thought the morgans were all air-cooled!)
and could have the chance for the all-important 'red' knob in the cockpit,
the one that could be labeled "heat."

Heat would require an airtight cockpit, which is difficult to do and makes it difficult to see. The new Morgan trikes don't even come with tops, because nobody pretends that there's anything practical about them. Heaters were commonly added to Morgan 4 wheelers that didn't come with them, I've never heard of one added to a three wheeler, although someone must have done it, . Our trikes have air vents from behind the radiator into the footwell, they probably let some heat in, but it's just about impossible to drive with the hood up so we don't bother.

Morgan used a handful of water cooled engines in the trikes, including Matchless, JAP, Blackburne, Anzani, and of course the Ford 4 cylinder.

You can see our '34 starting (barely) with the original 6V electric starter here:
Matchless Vee twin engine start - Morgan Three Wheeler - YouTube

For two-wheel veterans, the chance to have heat in your vehicle, means you
could extend the riding season to all year round.

I use electric gloves & vest.

The problem with your original setup is your feeds and speeds. Looks like you are using chicken feed, which the duck can't deal with.

You can't just wing it....

Jim Rozen , hows yer Morgan clone comin along , Leave the Honda motor on the bottom shelf , Ya can buy a fresh Harley Knuckle,Pan or Shovel head engine all day long these days .
animal

Jim Rozen , hows yer Morgan clone comin along , Leave the Honda motor on the bottom shelf , Ya can buy a fresh Harley Knuckle,Pan or Shovel head engine all day long these days .
animal
You can also buy new JAP or Matchless engines as fitted to the original trikes. The JAP has panache but the Matchless (998cc) is a proper tractor motor.
A used Harley engine is no doubt cheaper though.

Back