What's new
What's new

Why is it never easy?

dannyrocci

Cast Iron
So I've been on the look out for a lever collet closer for sometime now and final found one. It came today and looks great the only problem is it doesn't seem to fit. :( As you can see in the picture the closer, I believe should fit in side the gear but it is not small enough to fit. This was suppose to be a plug and play sort of thing but of course it can never be that easy.

So do I have the gear on my machine wrong? I was always under the impression that I had the right gear for a lever collet closer.

I know that there are two version of the lever collet closer for the heavy 10 and I believe this is the later model. Do the two model take different gears?

The inside diameter of my gear is 1.436" and the outside diameter of the collet closer is 1.751"

Thanks for the help guys.

I have an end gear for my heavy 10 that measures about 1.730 but even that seems small by your measurement. Can you bore out the gear you have?

Denny C.

I have an end gear for my heavy 10 that measures about 1.730 but even that seems small by your measurement. Can you bore out the gear you have?

Denny C.

That is most likely what I will end up doing. I am just trying to figure out why they don't mate correctly.

Did you get the extension along with the closer? Cause the keyway in it sure looks wider than the woodruff 'bite mark'. Is it hardened?

allan

Danny- there are 2 sizes of handlever closers. One for a max. 11/16 collet and the other for a max. of 1-1/16 collet. The one you have is for 1-1/16. Is that the size collet your lathe takes?

John

Danny- there are 2 sizes of handlever closers. One for a max. 11/16 collet and the other for a max. of 1-1/16 collet. The one you have is for 1-1/16. Is that the size collet your lathe takes?

John

Interesting thought John, my lathe takes 5c collets but that was not always the case I replaced the spindle on my lathe. It shipped with the 1 7/8" spindle not the 2 1/4" that I put on it. So I guess it makes sense that the reverse spindle gear, which was from the old spindle would be smaller. I didn't realize they made a lever collet closer for the smaller spindle or I guess I had never really thought about it since I have never seen one but it does make sense that they did.

Danny

The closer bore should be 1.75 inches (+/- tolerances) for a 1-1/16" thru hole (aka 5c) spindle. Looks to me like your "gear" is really a standard gear plus a sleeve installed over the outer spindle. If that is the case you can remove it and bore it out and reinstall. The factory spindle reverse gear for a lever closer replaced the existing gear with a extension to accept the closer.

Note the South Bend assembly number of the closer should be marked on the outside of the knurled hand wheel. Should be something like HL105L if I recall correctly.

The closer bore should be 1.75 inches (+/- tolerances) for a 1-1/16" thru hole (aka 5c) spindle. Looks to me like your "gear" is really a standard gear plus a sleeve installed over the outer spindle. If that is the case you can remove it and bore it out and reinstall. The factory spindle reverse gear for a lever closer replaced the existing gear with a extension to accept the closer.

Note the South Bend assembly number of the closer should be marked on the outside of the knurled hand wheel. Should be something like HL105L if I recall correctly.

Yep, that is the plan. I have already taken it off, but the gear is on piece not two and I plan on boring out the ID so that it will mate correctly with the collet closer. I was just taken by surprise that I needed to do that since I was under the impression that I had the correct gear with longer extension for the closer. But after reading Johns thoughts on the matter it makes sense that it is for the smaller lever collet closer.

Last edited:
Spindle gear for 10L collet closure

The parts manual I have for my 10L shows that the stock gear is part number PT30R1, the gear furnished with the closure is PT980L1.
Tom

Edit:

Will some one tell me how to post these pages so they can be enlarged?
Tom

Attachments

• closure.jpg
    closure.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 109
  • spindle.jpg
    spindle.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
After you bore the "gear" are you going to need to re-key the ID? Our 1977 10L at work has the same 5C closer that you have pictured and the ID of the gear extension is 1.751" and uses a .125 x .500 Woodruf key.

BTW Danny, the closer I got from you for my 13" fits perfect. Just needed the anchor bolt hole added. The color I painted it matches terrible, but it works great.

Picture033-1.jpg

I measured my recently aqcuired 10L, and it has the smaller bore on the extension, but was always an L according to serial number. Does the parts list for the closer indicate that it came with a new extension?

allan

After you bore the "gear" are you going to need to re-key the ID? Our 1977 10L at work has the same 5C closer that you have pictured and the ID of the gear extension is 1.751" and uses a .125 x .500 Woodruf key.

BTW Danny, the closer I got from you for my 13" fits perfect. Just needed the anchor bolt hole added. The color I painted it matches terrible, but it works great.

I am glad that it worked out for you and thanks for getting the measure measurements off the heavy 10

I measured my recently aqcuired 10L, and it has the smaller bore on the extension, but was always an L according to serial number. Does the parts list for the closer indicate that it came with a new extension?

allan

There is a different gear for the closer and I believe that it came with it but I don't know that for sure. Here is a picture of the standard gear next to the gear with extension.

Ok, well I got it chucked up and bored out now all I need to do is figure out how to use the compound to cut a keyway and I should be in business. Thanks again everyone for the advice and input.

Danny

All Done

Well I got some time today to work on making the key way in the sleeve. Over all I am pretty pleased with the results. While it is not a perfect key way it will work fine. I certainly wouldn't want to make key ways with the lathe all the time but it works pretty well for a one off job. Here is a couple pictures.

Thanks again guys for all the help. It is nice to have a place to ask question were people are willing to help.

Danny

Back