What's new
What's new

Basic surface grinder suggestions

epark

Plastic
I'm in south east Missouri and I'm looking to add a small, basic, "toolroom" surface grinder to my shop. I just want something that will take care small tasks around the shop and the occasional ground surface on a part. I don't mind putting in a little sweat equity into the project but I don't want to spending a ton of time fully rebuilding a used machine with all of the headaches that comes with that.

What suggestions do you have for a new grinder that fills that toolroom slot or what suggestions do you have for finding a good used machine.

Thanks in advance for any advise you're willing to share

I think a 618 is a good size with a V block and clamp. angle plate, sine bar, couple C clamps, Radius dressre, set of angles, bar diamond dresser. 2hp motor. plus some block-in blocls, a few paralells, and a set of 123 bolcks

Choice/brand I wouid have to think about. Comfort is important and it seems most new machine have a high reach or a bend over to reach location down handle.
For a quick answer I might say the Clausing 8-18..but it has a low far reach down hand wheel.
High up down feed hand wheel is taking your eyes far from the work, and low is a sore back.
A darn shame SG makers dont consider that.
looks like about 8 to $20 K for a new macine.
Sharp, Kent, Acra, Acer, Knuth, KoLee, Chevalier, Harig, Olamoto, some new brands.
Some decent used machine around 3 to $15K

Last edited:
I think a 618 is a good size with a V block and clamp. angle plate, sine bar, couple C clamps, Radius dressre, set of angles, bar diamond dresser. 2hp motor. plus some block-in blocls, a few paralells, and a set of 123 bolcks

Choice/brand I wouid have to think about. Comfort is important and it seems most new machine have a high reach or a bend over to reach location down handle.
For a quick answer I might say the Clausing 8-18..but it has a low far reach down hand wheel.
High up down feed hand wheel is taking your eyes far from the work, and low is a sore back.
A darn shame SG makers dont consider that.
looks like about 8 to $20 K for a new macine.
Sharp, Kent, Acra, Acer, Knuth, KoLee, Chevalier, Harig, Olamoto, some new brands.
Some decent used machine around 3 to $15K

Thank you

Do check how tight the chuck hold downs are if buying new or used. Over tight can damage a surface grinder by stressing the long table. Proper is less than 20 lbs.
Some say 20lb on the right and 12 on the left,..but both 20 or less Ok/fine.

Yes changing chuck tightness may change the set of the chuck so a few tenths. Perhaps a chuck skim-grind may be needed,

Last edited:
bend over
Unavoidable in the current market. You’re going to be reamed on price regardless.

If you have the cash Okamoto are great.

I picked up a used Jakobsen having run them before in tool rooms would take them over a Jones and Shipman.

Much it is condition / more important than the brand if buying used..
- likey oil scraped way are the best for long life ans smoothest long travel but I dont know any one making them nowadays
- Scraped turcite and the likey as smooth as Iron ways and likely good for 10- 20 years+ if taken care of.
- Ball way machines for easy trarvel and not as smooth , But many can make mirror finsh so OK.

DR HooK said : Do NOT get suckered into believing that "Tormach" grinder is good.
I would not buy one. I dont know anything about Grizzley but likey would avoid one.
Later model Brown & Sharpe, Taft and Abrasive surface grinder have comfortable handle location. Some Kents you have to almost stand on your head to reach the down handle.

If the choice was bending my back, or reach up then I would choose to reach up. I have an two older B&S that I have to reach up for the down hand wheel and tolerate that, but I dont like it.

Down feed nut wear is not often checked, but good to set the wheel on a board and give the down handle a turn, finding a half turn free play it is good to consider a repair may be due.

Last edited:
612 Harig. Small, simple, quick and reasonably accurate.
My guess of the next real step up in size control is the 618 B&S micromaster which not so much fun to run by hand on long parts. (but an awesome grinder)
Opinions will vary.

Last edited:
Since not mentioned yet, I like Parker Majestic in this size, the ones I ran were superb. Liked em well enough to buy two. The same place that had the Parkers bought a new Boyar- Schulze. Felt like a toy compared to the Parkers, the old grinder hands wouldn't go near it. Also like the Okomoto, but only used a larger machine with hydraulics. Have heard good about the Harigs but not had hands on.

Saw one of those Gardners for sale for $1k not too far from me. Looks like a decent machine, resembles a Micromaster.
Another somewhat rare bird is the later model Abrasive surface grinder.
I ran some older models and they were fine machines.
Here is a later model (60s) with roller ways on long and cross feed;

Back