What's new
What's new

OT: Help with and Air compressor

dannyrocci

Cast Iron
Well I know that this is a little bit outside of are normal talk but I thought someone might be able to help me out. I am rebuilding the head on my Quincy 325, I have removed all the bolts on the head but can't for the life of me get the head to come off. Was wondering if anyone out there knows of a good way to soft the gasket so that I can break it loose. The parts should be in tomorrow and was really hoping to have everything cleaned out and ready to so that I can just put it back together. I hate being without my compressor stuck with my little 6 gallon porter cable which works great but it just doesn't compare.

Anyways thanks in advance for the help.

Danny

loosen the bolts, put some heavy oil in the cyl,plug the outlets,stand back and turn it on! :) just kidding!!

Well since I have taken the uploader and valves out of the head already it would never build up any pressure, so I don't think that would even do not that I am going to try. lol

Danny

Danny,

Provided you actually do have all the bolts removed then the old screwdriver trick should work.

I'm sure the naysayers will shat their collective drawers on this one, but stick a small (Junker) screwdriver between the cylinder and head and hammer it in.

The shallow taper will pop the seal of the head gasket and get you going. This procedure won't kill the mating surfaces...I have done it many times.

The bond between the cooked top end components is terrific...it must be busted and a little sharpened screwdriver is the ticket.

Stuart

Got it off

Thanks Stuart for the advice. The screw driver trick was where I start with no luck most have hit that thing a 100 times but it didn't budge. But you know what they say if at first you don't succeed Smack Smack and then smack again. Oh and go and buy a different tool till you find the one that works. Stopped by the auto parts store and picked up a new scraper and that did the trick. Now I can get to the fun part of cleaning ever thing. :) but hopefully by this time tomorrow my compressor will be as good as new. Thanks again for chiming in guys

Danny

Another way to do it is, stuff some rope into the head above the piston and turn the crank to compress the rope, pushing the head loose.

That sounds like a great idea, kind of wish that I had not already broken it loose so I could try that approach. I guess I will have to store it away for a rainy day.

Danny

Back