What's new
What's new

Tool Life, Hydraulics, and more

Fal Grunt

Titanium
Also known as how to dig yourself out of your own grave.

I posted another thread awhile ago about a job that was absolutely kicking my butt. It chewed through tooling faster than anything I have ever seen, and I have a lot to learn, but I've machined some nasty stuff. This was bar none, the worst material (short of hard milling) that I have ever run in a mill.

There were a lot of good suggestions, and I did a fair amount of experimentation, and learned a few things. I was surprised to find out that torque seemed to effect tool life more than run out. I was able to scrape through the job, digging out and using a myriad of endmills in my drawer, and wound up absolutely getting my butt kicked in terms of losing copious amounts on the job.

So of course, when the company said they were happy with my work and wanted me to make another, even larger batch, I of course submitted a quote! And got it. Wooo....

In the first batch, for a finisher I ran a 7fl Helical 5/16 which lasted about 30 parts. After I burned through all of them that I ordered, I started experimenting with other endmills. Cheapo Melin's 4fl lasted about 20 parts, at the same cpt but nearly double the sfm to keep up. (from memory) A relatively expensive YG1 that I use for hard milling A2 lasted a jaw dropping 2 parts. Which I was so dumb founded by, I put a new cutter in, which lasted 2 parts.

A friend of mine, who is a spoiled little brat who works in a beautiful R&D lab, only uses Schunk hydraulics, and recommended I give them a try. Maritool has hydraulics now, so I added a 3/8 and a 1/2 (so I can run a 5/16, would be great if they made a 5/16) to the cost of the next batch. Any efficiencies I learned in making the first batch of parts was chewed up by the nearly double the tooling I ordered. In the end, it meant that I still didn't make any money.

With the 1/2 hydraulic from Maritool, with a 5/16 sleeve, the first cutter made it FORTY parts!!! Wooooo!!!! Now we are getting somewhere. One cutter managed to make it 44 parts, but most so far have been 36 to 40.

I've far from conquered this job, and have lots of improving to do. Drills are driving me insane now. One will last 300 holes, one will last 200 holes, one will last 5 holes, one will last 360 holes, and the next 100.

Changeover time thanks to Orange Vise pallets is down to 3 minutes, which means the 8 minutes it takes to change over the parts on the pallet, the spindle can be running.

Fusion may yet make me insert my face into a pedestal grinder. I slightly altered a drill's feed rate on monday morning, which then for some reason made the program a whole minute longer. I found out that between friday and monday, something in fusion changed, that decided dwells were needed at key points in the program, so the endmill would just sit and rub. No idea. Absolutely no idea. I had to delete all the tool paths and start over. The previous 120 parts didn't run that way.

So it is a slow crawl out of the grave. It is not an easy job. It's a challenging job. It's a challenging customer. It's also a bit of a gamble. But I think, I hope, by the end of this job, I'll have a good basis for the next. Who knows, maybe one of these I'll make some money! But the moral of the story in this case, hydraulics rock. Maritool is fantastic. Orange vise is fantastic. Thank you guys, sincerely, from a little guy, I couldn't do what I do without you!

Oh, and of course. Brother's are awesome.

Fal Grunt,​

Great to hear your results with the hydraulic holders! Thank you for your support!!

So far I haven't heard too many requests for 5/16 hydraulics but I will certainly look into it.

Funny thing, our 6mm CAT40 hydraulics were a slow mover (no surprise) and now all of a sudden they are sold out!! Did some tooling company unload a bunch of cheap 6mm endmills??

Fal Grunt,​

Great to hear your results with the hydraulic holders! Thank you for your support!!

So far I haven't heard too many requests for 5/16 hydraulics but I will certainly look into it.

Funny thing, our 6mm CAT40 hydraulics were a slow mover (no surprise) and now all of a sudden they are sold out!! Did some tooling company unload a bunch of cheap 6mm endmills??
To be honest, I've never used much 5/16 before, it just worked out for this job. If I have your attention for a second, the first thing on my wish list is a 3/8 roughing hydraulic. I'm hesitant to run a rougher in the regular 3/8 hydraulic holder, but maybe for a Brother doing 10-15% step over that would be fine?

That is funny about the 6mm. We used a TON of 6mm at one shop I used to work at, but for general work, that is an unlikely tool compared to 1/4".

I dont see a problem with 10-15% step over on our normal hydraulics. Also if you want a little more grip, wipe the shank and bore with any kind of alcohol before assembly.

I dont see a problem with 10-15% step over on our normal hydraulics. Also if you want a little more grip, wipe the shank and bore with any kind of alcohol before assembly.
I have a repeat job that requires a lot of 3/8 end mill roughing at .02" WOC x 1" DOC, 5100 rpm x 73 ipm, 6 flute with chip splitter, Haas super mini Mill, hardened 17-4 stainless. I got a hydraulic holder from mari tool and have not had any issues with pull out. Tools last hours like that.

Slight tangent related to your post, what method do you use to know when to retire your endmills? What's the criteria that lets you say "yeah this endmill can last one more part" vs "this endmill is done at 39 parts"? Of course visual inspection can be done, but is there a systematic way of doing it?

Slight tangent related to your post, what method do you use to know when to retire your endmills? What's the criteria that lets you say "yeah this endmill can last one more part" vs "this endmill is done at 39 parts"? Of course visual inspection can be done, but is there a systematic way of doing it?
I actually do this as a process.

start machining with brand new tools, listen to the sound, remember it, how loud it is and the frequency.
as it goes through a few parts pay attention to the sound changing over time.
keep a watch with a eye loop to be able to quickly check the end mill cutting edge, also
keep track of the surface finish(of the rougher before the finisher) and keep track of how big burrs are getting.

at some point you will decide, the burrs are too big, the surface finish is pretty bad(for the rougher only), the tools cutting edge is fairly worn and or chipped up,
or it is getting quite loud. or you push too far and it breaks.

then check the number of parts it made, and possibly come back off this a little.

there is something else I do though to add more value of my end mill costs,
that you would then have to start the monitoring over again.
and that is once my roughing end mill needs swapped out, I actually swap the finisher to the roughing position, then put in a new finisher.

this will give you a few parts more per end mill usually.

hope this helps :cheers:

I actually do this as a process.

start machining with brand new tools, listen to the sound, remember it, how loud it is and the frequency.
as it goes through a few parts pay attention to the sound changing over time.
keep a watch with a eye loop to be able to quickly check the end mill cutting edge, also
keep track of the surface finish(of the rougher before the finisher) and keep track of how big burrs are getting.

at some point you will decide, the burrs are too big, the surface finish is pretty bad(for the rougher only), the tools cutting edge is fairly worn and or chipped up,
or it is getting quite loud. or you push too far and it breaks.

then check the number of parts it made, and possibly come back off this a little.

there is something else I do though to add more value of my end mill costs,
that you would then have to start the monitoring over again.
and that is once my roughing end mill needs swapped out, I actually swap the finisher to the roughing position, then put in a new finisher.

this will give you a few parts more per end mill usually.

hope this helps :cheers:
I did a big volume steel job and we would swap the rougher when the chips started sticking to the cut surface, which would cause issues for the finisher. The finisher always was in great shape when it replaced the rougher. Saves on swapping tools in the holders too.

I did a big volume steel job and we would swap the rougher when the chips started sticking to the cut surface, which would cause issues for the finisher. The finisher always was in great shape when it replaced the rougher. Saves on swapping tools in the holders too.
And saves time in touch offs, I just move the finisher to the ruffer spot, and type the H offset from finisher to rougher.
only need to touch off the finisher, fast.

That's a good trick, but if your roughers and finishers are different types, then I guess you're out of luck.
E.g. chipbreaker-style corner-radius endmill for roughing and a "normal" flat-bottom endmill for finishing

That's a good trick, but if your roughers and finishers are different types, then I guess you're out of luck.
E.g. chipbreaker-style corner-radius endmill for roughing and a "normal" flat-bottom endmill for finishing
Oh yeah for sure, sometimes I have a 4 flute rougher and a 6 flute finisher, not gonna work correctly.
You could burn through those used finisher as roughers toward the end of the deal if you wanted though.

I usually purposely use the same tool for the added usage though of a system like this though.

either finish with 4 flute tooling(not a big deal)

or use a in between for it all, so a 5 flute.

depends on the metal really, hard milling, there is just a hard mill cutter, not a roughing style and a finishing style.

I don't have a systematic way of doing it, if you are referring to the inspection process. I have joked with the customer about buying a profilometer or surfometer, but even used questionable ones on ebay are $1500 and I just don't want to gamble.

Like Houdini, I know from running and watching that a tool will wear after X number of parts. If a tool doesn't last that long, I note it on my excel spreadsheet and see if it is an outlier or if there is a trend. For example, say one of the drills last 100 parts, 300 holes, before it has worn enough to cause problems. If a drill randomly blows up at 30, it was an outlier. If several drills only last 90 parts, I back the tool life down.

For the machine side, I have my Brother's Tool Life set up, so it gives a warning, and then when life is up, you cannot run the program without editing the tool page to add more tool life.

What tool did you end up choosing to pair with the Maritool holder?
I've been running the Helical's, though I am going to start trying some other brands. Helical hypes "run faster, run harder" but they are really slow and definitely do not like being run hard.

What is the material you are cutting, just curious 🤔
I wish it was unobtanium, then I wouldn't have to run it! These are S45VN, 32-34 Rc.
Oh yeah for sure, sometimes I have a 4 flute rougher and a 6 flute finisher, not gonna work correctly.
You could burn through those used finisher as roughers toward the end of the deal if you wanted though.

I usually purposely use the same tool for the added usage though of a system like this though.

either finish with 4 flute tooling(not a big deal)

or use a in between for it all, so a 5 flute.

depends on the metal really, hard milling, there is just a hard mill cutter, not a roughing style and a finishing style.
When hard milling we usually ran a rougher, semi finisher, and finisher, for 8mm and under. For these parts I started running a 1/4" rougher (c/s) a semi finisher and a finisher, and do the same. I know when the floor pocket starts to creep up, my finisher is done. Swap it to my semi finisher, and put in a new finisher.

I have not been using the semi finisher as my rougher only because the finishers last so much longer than the roughers. I've been using chip splitters w/ .02 cr, I am thinking about giving a corn cob style a try and see how it holds up in comparison.

I wish it was unobtanium, then I wouldn't have to run it! These are S45VN, 32-34 Rc.
Haha, How coincidental, I just ran like 500 knife blades last month for a shop, they screwed up and needed them re-machined/designed after heat treat but didn't have time.
So S35VN @60-62Rc
I used the Maritool 1/4" hydraulic holders (3/16 Diameter cutter) Ruff/Fin
Used the Harvey Tool 7 flute hard mill cutters, those things were SWEET!
Harvey Hard Mill 48-68Rc
harveytool.jpg

Last edited:
Thats a sweet looking cutter!

The one thing I love about Doosans are the tool load monitoring and kudos to HAAS for having it as well. How great it can work for a mid to long running job. Just monitor what the load is on a particular axis and set your high and or low limits and how quick to set the alarm. Great for identifying a chipped drill, chip packing, or dull cutter. Saved my ass many times.

I still can't believe some machine tool builders dont offer this even as an option.

Back