What's new
What's new

Clausing model 100 Mk3

Michael_Ch

Plastic
Hello everyone. I recently just acquired a Clausing model 100 MK3 lathe (standard edition without a quick change gearbox) at an auction which unfortunately didn’t come with a chuck. I’m fairly new to machining and the associated theory. The spindle has threading at the end. What type of chuck would I need to buy and would a backing plate be necessary?

Attachments

• IMG_4233.jpeg
    IMG_4233.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 21
Best to buy a chuck with a intergral threaded attachment. It will be thinner so you keep more length for parts. A little lighter in weight. Of course it will be easier to find a backplate that fits then buy a plain back chuck of a proper size and make them fit together.
Of course many will say buy a collet chuck for better accuracy.
Bill D

An 8 inch chuck would be a good size for that lathe.
BXA tool post will fit. You do not really need carbide tooling since that lathes rpm is not that fast.
Bill D
Not an endorsement just some ideas what I mean.

Last edited:
Do not know if it is true but ebay sellers say logan, south bend. atlas, clausing all fit the same chuck. That may be true for some models. If they mention south bend expect to pay 50-100% more
BilLD

Note that a backing plate is cut down to fit one chuck and only one chuck. It is not switched around between chucks. It can theoritically be recut to fit a smaller chuck but then it can no longer work with the original chuck. So you need a seperate backing plate for each chuck.
Or just get a integral chuck with the correct mount machined in at the factory. Of course then these chucks can not be transferrred over to a bigger better lathe with a different nose you buy latter.
Bill D

Back