What's new
What's new

Fanuc 0t controller help

AlpineRes

Plastic
Hello,

Self taught here and I'm not finding the solution in my manual or search.

I would like to know if its possible to set tool offset for a given tool by taking a cut and using a command in the tool offset pages similar to how I can set the work offset Z using the following command after jogging a given tool to where I want to place Z zero or Z whatever:

Work offset page:
M Z 0.0 - I use this to set zero to the face of a 2nd op part or set it .020" positive so I can face off some stock.

I would ideally like to be able to take a cut with a turning tool, measure it, then tell the controller the position of the tool tip and have it calculate the tool offset for me.

Thanks for the help!
-Jeff

PS the machine is a 2001 Hwacheon 2axis and the controller is a Fanuc 0T. I'm 99% sure it used to have a tool setter, I found what appeared to be parts of the tool setter in the chip pan when I bought the machine and cleaned it out. No tool setter now.

Last edited:
I would ideally like to be able to take a cut with a turning tool, measure it, then tell the controller the position of the tool tip and have it calculate the tool offset for me.
This is correct method. Use MEASUR soft key.

The exact method may slightly differ, depending on the control version.

Let us say, you need to enter X work offset for G56
Make it active by executing G56 in MDI mode.
Let the tool touch a previously measured dia.
Press OFS/SET on the MDI panel.
Press the WORK soft key.
Bring the cursor to any coordinate display of G56.
Type X10 (assuming, 10 is the measured dia) and press MEASUR soft key.
Done.

On a lathe X reference is same for workpieces of all diameters, for a given tool. Only the Z reference changes.

Setting tools on my 0tc:
1. Test cut, touch off part, whatever.
2. Highlight tool number in GEOM table.
3. Type in MX(or MZ) and value: MX 4.75; MZ 2.15
4. Press MEASUR button
5. Press input button.
6. Type in R value: TNR
7. Press input button
I do this with offsets inactive i.e. T0100.

With the FANUC 0TC on my Slant Jr., after you have taken a cut in Z or X, press the Record Position button, go to the Offset page/Geometry, highlight the tool number, type mX(measurement) (or mZ(measurement)), then Input. Without the "m" it takes the absolute position, not the tool.
If you type in mZ0. it takes it as the part zero position. mZ0.02 is 0.020" away from zero.
To offset the tool from this position go to the Offset page and type in X(offset) or Z(offset), then Input.
By the way, it is "ZERO" TC, not "OH" TC

So this is what worked.

1. Take a test cut on the diameter of the part and back the tool away in Z only.
  2. Go to the tool offset page and highlight the tool active (with offset active during my testing).
  3. Measure OD of the part
  4. On the offset page type "M Z (value of diameter)"
  5. Press input
This updated my tool offset value correctly.

Thank you for everybody that helped out here. This old controller doesn't have a ton of information around about it and not being a real machinist I don't have much of any experience to draw from. Thank you!

Back