What's new
What's new

Lineshaft Machine Shop Photos

Not quite line shaft, but at least line shaft driven. These are two lovely illustrations from the second edition (1895) of Joshua Rose’s famed “Machine Shop Practice.”

The first shows two chucking lathes, I’m guessing both by Niles. The second are some nice early turret lathes which are also in the chucking lathe section of Vol 1.

Douglas

Attachments

• FE253D69-490A-4A06-B621-06C6023C6499.jpeg
    FE253D69-490A-4A06-B621-06C6023C6499.jpeg
    87.9 KB · Views: 38
  • 6212E6EF-BFF0-4428-A076-563F368416A3.jpeg
    6212E6EF-BFF0-4428-A076-563F368416A3.jpeg
    86.7 KB · Views: 38
Boring a large cylinder in a small lathe.
That's an odd one. They seem to have a regular in-place-boring bar set up in the lathe instead of having the bar held by end bearing plates. I see a steady rest ahead of the tailstock, but it is not closed, and may have been used to support the bar and like it up with the tailstock. Presumably the lathe is the drive mechanism

The carriage is off to the end of the lathe, behind the tailstock, and the cylinder is clamped to the bed, so they seem be using the advance mechanism in the bar to move the cutter. It does not look as if the carriage is being used to move the tailstock for advancing the cutter, and I think I see the slot for the boring cutter advance in the bar.

That's an odd one. They seem to have a regular in-place-boring bar set up in the lathe instead of having the bar held by end bearing plates. I see a steady rest ahead of the tailstock, but it is not closed, and may have been used to support the bar and like it up with the tailstock. Presumably the lathe is the drive mechanism

The carriage is off to the end of the lathe, behind the tailstock, and the cylinder is clamped to the bed, so they seem be using the advance mechanism in the bar to move the cutter. It does not look as if the carriage is being used to move the tailstock for advancing the cutter, and I think I see the slot for the boring cutter advance in the bar.
It looks like a traveling head boring bar.

They show a similar but much larger traveling head boring bar with a facing slide that would more often be used on a horizontal boring mill if it was available, but the lathe will still do the job in many cases.
Jim

It looks like a traveling head boring bar.
Yes. Like a ones for boring in-place. The slot would be for the drive mechanism to move the head, and there would be a drive mechanism somewhere to move a screw inside the bar.

I don't see the typical star wheel etc type of drive, but it may be behind the part being bored. Could also be that the screw is just held in the tailstock and direct driven.

I was wondering if the steady rest and perhaps a jaw or special jaw might have something to do with acting as a striker for a small simple star wheel on the end of the boring bar feed screw that we can't see too clearly in the picture or at least I can't enlarge it enough to see clearly on my screen.
Jim

I was wondering if the steady rest and perhaps a jaw or special jaw might have something to do with acting as a striker for a small simple star wheel on the end of the boring bar feed screw that we can't see too clearly in the picture or at least I can't enlarge it enough to see clearly on my screen.
Jim
The resolution of the original on my computer is a little better but you still cannot see a star wheel at the tailstock.

There are many links in this older thread that I haven't looked at in a while,
Perhaps some of them will lead to some more pictures of Naiper & son's works.
Often pictures in books on the Internet Archive and Hathi Trust Library or Google books will not turn up in usual searches.
Also check for Napier on Graces Guide
Jim

Back