What's new
What's new

My new Monarch 60/61 lathe

Have you confirmed the motor is safe for VFD use? Not an expert, but there's threads here on using older motors (or risks) and VFD's.

I dont think it should be a problem. I am not going to use the vfd to vary the speed of the motor, just going to keep it at 60hz and use the speeds that the lathe provides through the headstock.

I am not going to use the vfd to vary the speed of the motor, just going to keep it at 60hz and use the speeds that the lathe provides through the headstock.

It might be nice to be able to speed it up or slow it down a little bit. Maybe just a 55hz to 65hz range. I am thinking of minor speed change to reduce chatter, like on a boring bar or...

I was also able to spend sometime getting all the wiring, mostly done. I'm still waiting on a din breaker for the 110v circuit but was able to get the VFD wired up and all of the original controls wired into the vfd. I add ON/Off buttons because the only way to turn the machine on before was at the breaker and that seemed inconvenient. I'm using some temporary buttons that I had laying around but order some vintage ones that will match the original buttons on the machine. Took longing then I wanted to get wired up but I'm not electrician, so there is always a fair amount of double checking, as I don't want to fry anything.
What hp rating vfd are you using for this 7.5 hp motor? Also, could you let me know how you wired everything in? Did you follow some diagram online? I also have the same monarch but with everything wired in for 440v. Although I have rewired the motor for 240. I am just unsure how to wire the rest of the lathe controls and vfd in now.

You might want to contact Mark Jacobs here. He did a vfd control for my 60. There is some info on my thread discussing the Monarch. Dave

Attachments

• DSCN4374.JPG
    DSCN4374.JPG
    226.2 KB · Views: 9
  • DSCN4390.JPG
    DSCN4390.JPG
    223.7 KB · Views: 8

Back