What's new
What's new

Old south bend lathe value

Im looking to purchess a old south bend lathe . 18 inch over cross slide, 120 centers,taper attachment,4 and 3 jaw chuck couple boxes of tolling and such . Lathe is in fair condition 2 owner lathe i knew both of the past owners .lathe was in a shop and peariodicly working till 2 years ago the son is asking 5k sorry no photos .... what are your thoughts

yeah, pics would help for sure. I'm gonna presume its the kind of style of South Bend we typically see here. If so, to have 18" over cross slide, I would have to guess its a 16/24". That is to say its a base 16" but head stock and tail stock are on spacers to give it a 24" swing.

120" between centers ? That's a long bed.

$5k ? Hmmm, I'd have questions. Like do you need that much bed, and that much swing ? What do you want to use it for. Not that its a bad lathe, but for that size, if I needed those sizes, I'd prolly be looking for a gear head lathe. Typically you can find a decent size South Bend 16" with 6 or 7' bed for let's say $2k to $3k.

I am looking for a lathe with long bed becouse i am getting into cylender re roding and driveline building have lots of long projects. I alredy have a 9x60 leblond and i love it its just to small. Im asking if the price range is accurate

I have few documents here is photo of one 1-26-56 is the last date on it
It is indeed a 16/24". Note the box in bottom right corner:
648.JPG

At $5k you're not getting ripped off, but I might expect it for a little less. Those lengths of beds do obviously exist, but are not as widely seen, so a little hard to put an exact number on it. Condition obviously a factor. You say "fair", if in fact "fair" condition, I'd try to negotiate down a little. If decent and operational, $5k don't bother me. Tooling and tool post factors as well.

Good news, any parts you need, parts from a 16" will work. Also its not overly complicated to clean, repair or maintain.

I'd expect 1.5 to 2hp at spindle. Top spindle speed in the area of 975rpm.

Last edited:
It is indeed a 16/24". Note the box in bottom right corner:
View attachment 432158

At $5k you're not getting ripped off, but I might expect it for a little less. Those lengths of beds do obviously exist, but are not as widely seen, so a little hard to put an exact number on it. Condition obviously a factor. You say "fair", if in fact "fair" condition, I'd try to negotiate down a little. If decent and operational, $5k don't bother me. Tooling and tool post factors as well.

Good news, any parts you need, parts from a 16" will work. Also its not overly complicated to clean, repair or maintain.

I'd expect 1.5 to 2hp at spindle. Top spindle speed in the area of 975rpm.
Machine is most definitely operational i had a chance to operate it before the old man died . The machine is not mint but the ways are good no rust and the crosslide is tight . Ive only personally seen this one that has such a long bed . It comes with tooling and is close to home . I just dont know the value

Machine is most definitely operational i had a chance to operate it before the old man died . The machine is not mint but the ways are good no rust and the crosslide is tight . Ive only personally seen this one that has such a long bed . It comes with tooling and is close to home . I just dont know the value
If most are going with that much swing and bed length, they'd most likely go with a Pacemaker, Monarch or the like. And with a little shopping I can do those for $5k now a days. . .

Most South Bend buyers are not dragging a 10-12 foot bed to the home shop. . .

You are the audience for this particular machine, I think you have room to negotiate.

Tooling, tool post can add value, but what is it ? Useful items, or out dated stuff noone uses ? Two chucks don't tell me a lot, they should be a given. The other tooling and tool post, what are they and how much of it could swing the numbers a bit.

Keep in mind, someone has to move it. If they are trying to sell or clean up whatever property, this is a problem. They'll need it gone. Noone moves or stores it for free. There's nothing convenient about moving and storing heavy, long ass machines.

Last edited:
A serial # might get ya close to a date on the machine . Ya gonna move it yerself ? These machines are top heavy & tipping one over while moving it can ruin ones day/life . Serial # should be on op of the ways at the far right of the bed .
animal

If you're going to do Hyd. Cyl. work, I'm assuming polishing etc..Driveshaft work will require cutting tubing. The spindle through hole is 2.375". If you'll be doing heavy duty shaft work,say 4" or 5" you'll need steady and follow rests along with a conical center. These are expensive when they don't come with the lathe. As "Texas" said above $5K will get you a Pacemaker, Monarch, Hendey. A 16" long bed Pacemaker sold near me here in Pa. for $3K. They had to hire a wrecker with telescopic boom to get it out.
A lot to do with price is TOOLING. You'll want a Aloris or Dorian toolpost and tool holders, 3 and 4 jaw chucks, and steady and follow rests, minimum for what you want to do. I would not pay $5K for that lathe unless it comes with a nice tooling package, and, the ways are pristine. Does it have "hardened ways" ? If it has the tooling you need, offer $4K and be prepared to hire a wrecker to get it out and place it on a trailer for you. A South Bend 16/24 weighs about 2500# for a 6 foot bed machine. Add about one hundred pounds per foot over that. You can get actual weights from WSWells site. Long beds don't sell fast, so don't be afraid to wait if they initially refuse your $4K offer. Good luck. PB

A 14-foot 16/24 lathe has 126-inch centers. They are about 14-1/2 (14'-8") feet long. That's a heavy lathe, about 3500 lbs. Bare lathe in 1958 was $3800.00. our current dollars are 10.67 times higher than that now. $40,553.00 wow! I agree, no tooling is a deal breaker. The had single speed motors, 2-speed motors, 3-step cones with wide belts for heavy roughing cuts, 4 step cones and 2-speed motors would get you the finish cuts.

If you're going to do Hyd. Cyl. work, I'm assuming polishing etc..Driveshaft work will require cutting tubing. The spindle through hole is 2.375". If you'll be doing heavy duty shaft work,say 4" or 5" you'll need steady and follow rests along with a conical center. These are expensive when they don't come with the lathe. As "Texas" said above $5K will get you a Pacemaker, Monarch, Hendey. A 16" long bed Pacemaker sold near me here in Pa. for $3K. They had to hire a wrecker with telescopic boom to get it out.
A lot to do with price is TOOLING. You'll want a Aloris or Dorian toolpost and tool holders, 3 and 4 jaw chucks, and steady and follow rests, minimum for what you want to do. I would not pay $5K for that lathe unless it comes with a nice tooling package, and, the ways are pristine. Does it have "hardened ways" ? If it has the tooling you need, offer $4K and be prepared to hire a wrecker to get it out and place it on a trailer for you. A South Bend 16/24 weighs about 2500# for a 6 foot bed machine. Add about one hundred pounds per foot over that. You can get actual weights from WSWells site. Long beds don't sell fast, so don't be afraid to wait if they initially refuse your $4K offer. Good luck. PB
Yes i have tellehandelr craines lowboy ect avalible it comes with 2 steady rest 8 inch and 16 inch i beleve there are 2 maby 3 chucks has a 4 jaw on it a 3 jaw under it and a spair 4 jaw hideing somewhere as far as tooling there is 2 big wooden boxes with mt drills drill chuck live center i thjnk i seen a conicle center in there and more brased carbide and highspeed steel ive ever seen in my life i have allso run that lathe a couple years ago when the old man was still alive

Back