What's new
What's new

Worthington Buffalo

Very interesting, this name Igor Karassik.......it rang a bell. I got to thinking where I ran into that name. And then I remembered, it's the previous owner's signature inside my 7th ed. copy of the Standard Handbook for Mechanical Engineers. And there his name is listed in the list of contributors as the author on the section on centrifugal and axial pumps. How his copy of the handbook ended up in California, I don't know, but it has unfortunately not yet turned me into a brilliant engineer despite sitting a few inches above my desk for several years now...

wheels17: I'd love to see if your dad can be more specific about the sizes/capabilities of some of the equipment I talked about here, I'm mostly just guessing measurements....tho if he closed the plant, would he have been there in 1962 when I was there and worked on those machines, and, if he was president, my guess is this kind of information wouldn't be what I would be remembering if I was him? For me, that whole heavy industry thing was really the most fascinating part of the job.

Agreed on the unions.. Learned my lesion working at Eastman machine Co. in downtown buffalo about how old time unions work. Same thing, don't break the rates, don't turn on a union "brother" and don't let the company win. Also was a Teamsters steward at another Co. it's organized backstabbing!

Not in my experience. Things may be different in the U.S. but in England you needed to be in a union everyday of the working week. If you weren't a union member low level management would try to make your life a misery just because they could and they'd nothing else better to do. I could write a book about the stunts the foreman would try to pull. When you get tired of kennpaul's stories I'll tell you some of mine. I was in the game for 40 odd years not a dog watch.

Regards Tyrone.

Unions in America (at least buffalo area) are def not the same anymore. More politics than anything. When i was Teamsters steward, we say down with the Co to negotiate a contract and basically left the table with a good contract-for every one at the table that is. Then we had to somehow go back to our "union brothers and sisters"and try and convince them that they had a good contract.. We all knew what happened, but after 5 weeks everyone was just happy to finally get out of there. In the end, we had a contract, we worked for 6 months before our slow down. Me being a committee man and steward, thru laid Mr of because my "seniority"was low. Stupid Teamsters don't have super seniority for there officers. That was the last draw. I promised myself i would never work for a union Company again.
Since i have kept my promise to myself, I've worked 9 straight years with no layoffs, have been paid higher than most of my union friends (the ones who work in shops, factories, etc..., not my friends who are boilermakers, concrete union guys and carpenters, but i work all year they mostly don't). Yes, there are the places that need s union (my last employer especially, hence my screen name) but for the most part, most places take care of ther workers. I've been fortunate that i could walk out of that last hell hole, and settle into a smaller mom and pop job shop doing what i love. Have a great owner, good management and i don't want to curb stomp my supervisor.
Unions in America have destroyed themselves. I suit back and watch with some amusement, and some compassion for them union die herds that by the day lose there jobs because the union didn't want to be walked on by the company. Hostess anyone?

Actually, Tyrone, I was in the union "game" for a little longer than that. I worked and paid dues to the Bakers and Confectioners Union (BCU), the United Steel Workers Union (USW) and the International Aerospace Workers Union (IAM). I went down to the union halls, paid all my dues, went on strike, walked a picket line and pretty much did all the things one does when one belongs to a union, mostly for the privilege of earning a living. My mention of it on this post was to simply provide background to working in the heavy machine shop at Worthington Pump in Buffalo, New York at a time most people today never experienced. I was under the impression folks on this thread were interested in old machines, factories, work practices, and some history of same, not old labor grievances. I started working at age 16, earned my way from 18 on, served my time as a draftee in the US Army, educated myself to a Bachelor of Science degree at age 35, and by age 58 I retired, selling the fully non-union company I founded from scratch to a workforce of 220 full time employees - for a number in the low teen millions of dollars. As an employee over that time I worked in both union and non-union jobs, and concluded from seeing both sides of the issue that it would be a fools game to me if I had worked for any unionized organization all that time. I'm sure your stories about "foreman stunts" are interesting to some, but maybe not so much here.

I will try to tell this as best as I can remember.
When I was just a little fellow in the early fifties we had next door neighbors who had moved from West Virginia. We were quite close to them and the woman babysat me and my brothers sometimes. I knew these people for many years into my adulthood until they both passed away. As an adult, I finally learned the whole story directly from the man. The reason they had moved north was that he had been a moonshiner in WV and things just got too hot for him there (a whole 'nother story!). He moved to the Bradford Oilfield for work. Eventually, he lost his job in the oilfield. Things were pretty lean in the oil patch at that time and he found work at Republic Steel in Lackawanna. After commuting the 70 or so miles for a short time they got an apartment there but would spend weekends at the house they had bought close to where they had lived next to us.

Having never had any experience with unions before, the man apparently hadn't yet caught on to just how things worked. They had a job to tear down an old furnace. As he told it to me a whole crew went up on top of the furnace with their bars and would pry out a few bricks at a time. Then break time came and everyone climbed down and had their coffee and cigarettes. Well, the guy I knew stayed behind and kicked around in the dust thinking that there must be a few key bricks that if removed would cause the whole thing to collapse and he did just that. He held on to some beams until the dust cleared and climbed down. The whole crew just stared at him. The foreman finally said "Do you know what you just did? You ruined the whole job. This job was supposed to take two weeks!"

Snyder, I've been on both sides of the union/non-union issue. I had the opportunity at my own company to put into practice things I came to deeply believe about how a company should work with the employees of the company. Came down to a prioritized list of four....(1) Customers came first because if the customers weren't happy, then the rest didn't exist, no employees, no company, no ownership (2) Employees came second because without employees, the company couldn't exist, and the owners were broke (3) Company came third, and (4) the interests of the Owners came last. In practice, customers were asked to pay fair prices, employees were paid fair compensation, "profits" went to corporate needs (tools, equipment, facilities, growth investments) and if there was money left over, it went to ownership. Employees at my company were satisfied, loyal (low turnover, high seniority) and relatively satisfied. We prospered, I sold out in 1998 to a larger company and this office is still the most successful in their company. Unions overplayed their hands for too long, business and industry and people changed...Hostess is just one of many examples, a lot of others are or were in Buffalo.

Were! This town is dead now. Few small shops, even fewer big industries. Unless you work at Roswell park cancer institute or any other hospital in the area, ways to make a living are scarce. When i was in union companies, was laid off for months at a time. Actually collected more unemployment the first 6 years of my career, than a paycheck. Looking for comparative work was hard. I settled on a few places, Curtis screw one of them, and their unions because i literally had no choice. Just seeing the talent level of some of them "machinists" and getting layed off before them, just made me sick.
I finally worked at a place where what you could do meant allot. I survived many a lay off, worked there for 9 years, 8 months of it was as a second shift stupervisor. In the end, that "family owned" shop became too big and so did the owners head. I gladly walked from a $60 million company, working 6-7 days a week to a $3 million company, working 5-10 hr days and a 5 hr sat. Its a Job shop. A better fit for me. And i came at the right time. I had exp with big parts. They are just getting into the big part machining and I'm proud to be there helping them along.
I guess the moral of the story is, unions are good for the older, more senior employees of the world, but for the younger (i consider myself still younger at 34) more ambitious people, it's not a good fit. Unless you want to do mind less production, which most union companies are around here, no real talent needed.
It's not like the old days where my grand father would jump around from job to job and he could always find one. As a tool maker/fabricator, he worked at places like hudai (not sure if that's spelled right) Niagara machine (Niagara clearing), Bethlehem steel, occidental, and wound up retiring from strippit. Back then you had talent every where! Unions were great, did things for the employees. But nowadays, they are just there, imho, to protect the lazy that have years in. No offense to any union guys out there, who actually are machinists. Not just some union trained, button pusher, who can barely read a caliper than a Mic, and calls themselves a machinist.
I've heard stories from my grand father bout every where he worked. He told me, once it got to the point where it wasn't challenging to him any more, he'd find another job within days.

Given our respective backgrounds it's pretty obvious where this discussion is going. Our experiences of working life are radically different.
Rather than hi-jack someone else's thread and instigate a pro-anti trade union debate I'll bring my contribution to an end.

Regards Tyrone

One of my first impressions upon walking onto that machine shop floor for the first time was that it was made of.....wood! Huge building, low bay and high bay, big pieces of machinery, oil and grease everywhere, occasional sparks flying from grinders and so forth, and here we were walking on a wood floor. It looked to be 4"x4" or maybe 6"x6" blocks, all end grain up, tightly laid. Don't think I ever really asked for or got an understanding of HOW it was laid, but the foreman walking me back to my new work station told me wood was preferred because it was shock absorbent, rather than unforgiving like concrete. If a piece fell onto the floor from, say, that crane overhead (pointing to a large casting of some sort dangling from an overhead crane wayyyy too close to this rookie to be comfortable), then the floor might be gouged, but the damage would be easier to repair than poured concrete....and the piece might not shatter either, which it likely would do on concrete. As I walked around I did notice this greasy, dirty, dark gray to black wooden floor, punctuated with places of varying degrees of cleaner wood. Obviously, something had fallen there, and the floor repaired. Some months later I saw an engine casting slip out of the hooks and fall to the floor....from maybe 15'-20'. It fell with a pretty good thump, but not loud, more muffled than anything. A look at the floor later revealed some pretty damaged, gouged blocks, but the casting actually appeared OK. Next morning there was another of those cleaner places there, nice new wood blocks, all level and tidy. I concluded it actually seemed a sensible system. I don't know how thick it was, nor what it was bedded in (I assume sand), and I don't know how it was it never caught fire.

The wood floors were laid mainly where the walkways and aisles were, but most of the machines were mounted on steel floors, I presume for rigidity and consistency. They were slick to walk on, and very hard on your feet. Whenever I could I tried to walk on the wood parts rather than the steel decks. The most tedious aspect of the helper's job on these machines was to stand there on the steel deck, in one place, pouring cutting oil on the tool. The operator frequently had to dance around a bit to operate the machine, but since he expected cutting oil on the friction all the time, you (the helper) pretty much stood rigid, pouring cutting oil, while the machine cut steel.

Back then, our safety equipment consisted mainly of steel-tipped shoes. I believe the company practiced what back then was considered good safety, but looking back now, nobody wore hard hats (despite all that iron dangling around on the cranes) and damn few guys even wore eye protection . The guys operating smaller drill presses, for example, or grinders, where the work might have been closer to their faces, wore goggles or safety glasses, but not so much the rest of us. Don't ever recall seeing any ear protection despite the noise we generated, nor any dust masks or the like.

The large building in which I worked had two sides....a "high bay" and a "low bay" or "high side/low side". Each had an overhead crane that traveled the length of the building from end to end on tracks up near the rooftop (and I really don't know how high up they were....the high side seemed very high to me). They ran in a sort of upper cupola with windows looking out - or more accurately, letting light in), occasionally there were birds in there flying around keeping the crane guys company too. I vaguely recall the capacity of the high side crane was 60 tons, while the low side was 40 tons.....I think. Most of the time the cranes seemed fully capable of picking whatever they needed to lift, no problem. But every so often you could hear the crane grind and whine and complain the load was nearing capacity...those were the times I wondered about the sanity of this job for me. They ran on tracks the length of the building, but the entire crane structure was also "tracks" for the cupola and the operator and all the winching to traverse the building width from side to side. End result, of course, was that the operator was always nearly directly overhead of whatever the lift was. Once in a while I would ponder what that was like high up there in that little open cab lifting something or other 50' under your stool, pretty much certain if the whole thing let go, you were surely toast.

There was a crane operator, and a "hooker". They generally worked the entire shift together as a "team", a term I use loosely here. The crane operator at the start of the shift would climb up to the crane via a ladder mounted on the wall to a sort of landing, step on to the crane cockpit floor, and off he'd go. The hooker followed on the ground. They sometimes used a system of bells to communicate, mostly they just shouted (I have no idea how the hell they ever knew what the other guy was saying, all that background noise and echo). I found it interesting that sometimes the high side guy particularly would get up there and immediately run down to the other end of the building, where he sometimes would stay if there was no call for him. I was told he slept for the one or two hours idleness if there was nothing to lift. His hooker generally gabbed to a couple of buddies, always seemed to me to be a waste of manpower. I was told the operator on the high side had a drinking problem, so he was frequently less than 100%. His hooker, however, was apparently pretty competent, keeping his crane operator out of trouble and the rest of us safe from falling 20 ton lumps of metal. More than once I saw a quarrel between them, the hooker would race up the ladder (and that was a long climb) yelling bad things, the crane operator would move down the track just far enough his hooker couldn't get to him and they would yell at each other (or he just went to the far end and went to sleep, ignoring the issue). The rest of us just laughed at them.

The low side hooker was a guy named Smokey. His English was not so great, but he was earnest and tried to do a good job. (Trivia: He wore bib-style coveralls and what looked like a railroaders cap, but the funny part was that he always had on clean and carefully pressed coveralls, and even the caps were obviously ironed. The guys would kid that his wife washed his clothes and dressed him every day, and I think there was more truth than fiction in that.) Problem was he had little sense of where to put the hooks for unbalanced loads, and sometimes he was a little careless about securing them, so sometimes the load might slip in the hooks or shift in the air. One time one of his two hooks holding up a "small" engine block (small = 6'-8' long) came loose and the whole thing bounced around in the air and ended up dangling by one hook, swinging back and forth for quite a while. I quickly became very wary of anything running over my head or hanging by a chain. Ol' Smokey and his crane operator didn't get along all that well either. The operator was always trying to sneak up on Smokey from behind to use his crane hook to knock Smokey's hat off. Smokey would be enraged (as would anyone because that hook was a large, heavy piece, and if you got conked with it, it would hurt and could even scramble your brains). That was an ongoing entertainment for the entire time I worked there.

Hi My Name Is Dave, My Dad Started At Worthington In 1956 And Was There To The End,My Grandfather And All My Uncles Were Also There At One Time, My Dad's Name Was Ed Holewinski, Would Love To Hear Any Stories If Anyone Remembers The Name.

Another interesting figure who entered Worthington's heirarchy at Harrison, NJ was an engineer named Walter (possible spelling difference). Walter was a German engineer who had developed a radically different propulsion system for U Boats. It did not use the (then) conventional means of diesel engines, DC generators and motors and large battery banks. Walter was apparently quite a designer of turbomachinery. He came up with a drive system using some combination of substances not unlike today's liquid fueled rocket motors. This resulted in a contained combustion process, the result of which was run thru a turbo expander to drive the U boat- whether on the surface or submerged. I believe a prototype U boat was built, but it was late into WWII, and a combination of that plus the problems in handling and containing the substances used to run that propulsion system resulted in it never being further developed.

Walter apparently survived WWII handily, made it to the USA, and wound up as a corporate officer of Worthington in Harrison, NJ.

As for unions, I was on the management side of the house. I started as a kid in a union machine shop, and even in HS, was signed up into the International Association of Machinists. They waived a lot of the fees and dues, since I was a kid, but I did carry a book and got my dues stamps. The shop was run by German immigrants, and was a kind of paternal environment, and everyone worked well and steadily. In college, I worked in the old Rheingold Brewery, and had to join Brewery Workers Local 6. This was part of the Teamsters. Again, the union local was anxious to have young engineering students working in the breweries, as they saw the handwriting on the wall. Budweiser was systematically killing off the regional breweries, and the smaller and very old regional breweries were vanishing. The union local and the brewery were kind of paternal, maybe the old world work ethic, or something like it. The union local officials wanted to see young engineers learn on the floors of the breweries in the hopes they might do something to keep the local breweries going. It did not happen, through no fault of either the unions or the local breweries. Bud was just too big a juggernaut.

I saw the worst and best of unions in nearly 50 years in work and in my chosen profession. In the last 24 years of steady employment, I worked at one single powerplant for the most part. I was a senior mechanical engineer. I was on the management side of things. Initially, when I first started with the NY Power Authority in 1981, I was a construction superintendent on small hydroelectric projects. We always used union crafts on the jobs. Generally good, if you and the contractors knew who to get from the union halls. In the powerplant, the Power Authority crafts were all in the IBEW. Initially, as a public authority, we were an autonomous corporation, publically owned. We made our money from the generation and transmission of electric power. How we spent our money and survived or sunk was our headache- no involvement of the state monies or taxpayers. In those days, the upper echelons of management at the Power Authority had come up from the engine rooms and powerplant floors in many cases. Many were ex US Navy or ex US Merchant Marine. They tended to think in those ways, in terms of "taking care of the crew". We were very well treated, and everyone on both sides of the aisle, was happy. Then, things started to change. The politicians got hold of the NY Power Authority. To them, despite what the corporate charter and laws required (no invasion of Authority finances to bail out the state), they disregarded all of it and began to milk the Power Authority like a cash cow. They also had the balls to say our people- engineers included- were overpaid. We were at the higher end of industry averages about then. Things started to slip as the politicians put their own people in as VP's, and the first people to take it in the ass were the first line and middle management people. We started seeing our benefits eroded and salaries either got lower cost of living adjustments or were frozen. At the same time, corporate kept adding VP's and other "window dressing" types. They also hired management consultants like the rest of us change socks. these consultants took the Authority for a 13 million dollar sleigh ride on something called "Focus" to improve productivity and morale. We called it "F--k- Us" and did everything we could at the sessions to create utter mayhem and near riots.

In first line and middle management, we all knew that if the union crafts got a good contract, there would be a trickle-down effect for us. So, we stood shoulder to shoulder with the union crafts on a lot of things. It was a matter of survival. Meanwhile, corporate and their management consultants would throw us a bone. We called it a "boner". If they proposed an apparent salary increase, it was tied to some impossible goals, and was carved out of any salary upon which our pensions or the next year's raise might be based. It looked good for the first few seconds, but if you read into it, you did not have to be too bright to see it was a back door screwing.

As for me, I decided I had a good job, a boss and crew that I loved, and we could live handily on what I was earning. With a daughter with a disability, the benefits, even clipped, were amazing. I looked around outside the fence and knew we had it good. Meanwhile, corporate kept clipping and eroding. We decided to unionize on two different occasions. We had the votes amongst the engineers and supervision to do it on both occasions, better than 2/3. On both occasions, politics and back room arm-twisting were used to kill the unionizing. On the second occasion, we were within about 48 hours of a final hearing, and there seemed no way corporate could derail our unionizing efforts. They had tried, sic'd the corporate labor lawyers on the matter, tried to get injunctions, and hired outside legal guns and things were seemingly unstoppable. That is when some of the corporate brass called the governor's office. The NY governor has a hired gun of a labor negotiator. His policy is: "Take this contract or there will be massive layoffs". This may have some basis in fact in public sector agencies which are supported by the public coffers, and where things are very lean. In the case of a public authority, there was supposed to be autonomy. Instead, the Power Authority was told by the governor's office that they would have to let this hired gun handle contract negotiations with the IBEW and other unions. Contract talks dragged on for years. The corporate brass called the governor's office when it became apparent they could not stop the engineering and supervision from unionizing (Operating Engineers, a different union). At about 10 PM on a Friday night, the phone calls went out: the final hearing and officially unionizing of the engineering and supervision is off. Can't happen." No explanation given. This was strategically timed to happen on a Friday evening when our attorneys and organizers could not get to the judge handling the hearings. It was done by the hired gun from the governor's office and was the worst kind of arm twisting imaginable: the hired gun reminded the union officials who were organizing us of the fact that their union already had large numbers of members working in other NY State agencies and that even more members worked on public sector construction projects. If they wanted to see the larger numbers of their members getting good contracts and wanted to see state construction jobs still going union, they had to drop any ideas of unionizing us.

We were disgusted. It was dirty dealings, and proved people on either side of the matter are corrupt or corruptable. As for me, I did well with the union crafts in the powerplant. The crafts had no trust nor regard for the engineers in corporate. Their union made a case for having me become a Certified Welding Inspector, and also used to insist that I be the engineer handling certain jobs where their lives and safety were directly involved. I was in a good place, and while corporate could freeze my salary and clip my benefits, I was still working. I had enough benefits to take care of my family. I had a job I loved doing. I was allowed to practice engineering as a Professional Engineer with a private practice, even encouraged to do so as anything I might do in private practice would increase my versatility for the Company. I was realistic enough to know when I had it good. There was no point bitching about what we could not change, and corporate and the political whores were one of those immovable and obnoxious things we had to work around. The result was our powerplant became a tight crew, and we tried to do as much as we could without calling upon corporate. As I told my boss, as well as any number of other people: "My loyalty to the NY Power Authority begins and ends at the project fence". The world had changed, and paternalism, or the old guard of top echelon brass who had come up from the engine rooms and powerplant floors was gone for good. The new breed seemed to be uniformly people with business degrees who came out with the appropriate BS about looking after the people, but we never trusted nor had any use for them. We did our level best to have the best powerplant, and each year, corporate raised the bar as far as what salaries and variable pay would be tied to. When I retired, we had to hit a reliability target of something like 99.95%, and we were surpassing it. We had targets for safety, environmental, generation, missed starts (if a generating or pump turbine failed to start), and for all sorts of things. We were always surpassing the targets, so corporate would find a way to avoid giving the engineers and supervision any increase in pay and raise the bars for the next year or change the rules of the game altogether. We had an annual evaluation- an elaborate and convoluted thing. No matter how good a job I did, and no matter what kind of glowing comments my boss put on my evaluation, I always got a "meets expectations"- a "middle of the road" thing about like getting a "C" in a course in school. As my boss explained it, if he gave me the equivalent of an "A" or "B", he had to give some other poor bastard a "D" or an "F" to balance the bell curve which corporate had decreed must be used. After awhile when it became apparent that nearly everyone in management at the powerplants was getting a "meets expectations" grade, corporate sent up a couple of gestapos to pass the word: "If you do not start handing out bad reviews, we will remove you and grade your people instead..." Then, the goons came around from corporate for one of those evening meetings off site with the upper management. What came of it was that if they handed anyone a "meets expectations" rating- a basic "C", they would have to fill out a written justification for it. In short, corporate was going out of their way to screw over the engineers and supervision. We worked hard, and our results spoke for our work. We took a fierce pride in our plant and looked out for our crews, and they looked out for us. Corporate feathered their own nest, and VP's earning 200 G's a year seemed to grow steadily. We used to joke that we were the only power producing organization with more VP's than linemen. It was that sort of thing that had engineers and supervisors signing cards with the union organizers. In the time since I left, the younger engineers who were really sharp stuck around long enough to get their Professional Engineers Licenses and then bailed out. Not there long enough to get heavily into the pension system or 401K plan. We lost some of the brightest and best. Some of those guys found work in other companies, some going for the smaller firms where they did not have a top heavy corporate structure to deal with. My boss is counting months to retirement, and is telling me that I got out at the end of the good times. I have lunch sometimes with people who are still working at the plant, and they keep me abreast of things. The new mechanical engineer is a fine fellow. He sits with the mechanics each morning at the crew briefing as I did, and he is learning the plant. He says the mechanics will sometimes pull out envelopes or folders of sketches I made for them over morning coffee, and tells me that the crew still speaks well of me. He also says he knows he has a big pair of boots to fill, but I tell him the crew will have his back and he will do fine and will grow into the job. When management and the crew sit together in the mornings and work as one, the working environment becomes a great place to be, and an energy unlike anything that might be found in an office job is felt. This young fellow has told me he is experiencing this, and really enjoys coming to work. Sometimes, there are aspects of a job that go beyond the paycheck or the benefits and transcend the fundamental differences between union and salaried people. At the same time, we never lost sight of the fact that the only reason we had things good on our side of the house was because of the unions. It may be perceived as a lopsided picture, but that was how it worked for us.

Steve:

Many of the cupola furnaces used in US foundries were designed and built by Whiting. Whiting built cupola furnaces ranging from about 1 ton or iron an hour to some really large capacity furnaces. Blowers were built by other firms and sometimes used Roots-Connersville 'roots blowers'.

Whiting is an interesting firm in their own right. Aside from Cupola furnaces, Whiting made numerous bridge cranes used not only in foundries, but in every imaginable industry. Whiting also made railroad equipment such as 'drop tables' for changing wheelsets on locomotives and rolling stock; powered jacks which lifted locomotives much like today's auto lifts; and the Whiting "Car Mover". This latter is a strange morphrodite of a vehicle which can be driven on pavement or solid ground, then put on rails to spot freight cars. As the demand for cupola furnaces diminished in the USA, Whiting had plenty of other irons in their fire.

One of the hydroelectric plants I worked at and did engineering for dated to 1921. It had a Whiting bridge crane. I called Whiting with the serial number of that crane for information. A lady at Whiting pulled the file on that crane (this was in the 1990's). She gave me a load of information during that initial phone call. No computer files, she went to the file cases and got the file just that quick. She even told me the type lumber and size of it that was used for the catwalk along the crane girder to access the trolleys and machinery. I'd suggest you try contacting Whiting and see if they have any information regarding Worthington/Buffalo.

Also in the 1990's, we were upgrading the 1921 hydroelectric units. A machine shop in Port Colborn, Ontario had the job. For shop inspections, we'd fly from Albany, NY to Buffalo (I know the old song about the Erie Canal, 'One more trip from Albany to Buffalo"). At Buffalo, we'd rent a car and drive into Canada. On one trip, I recall we were driving on some road around Buffalo. We passed the ruins of the old Worthington foundry. The Worthington insignia with the wings was still visible on a brick wall, but a gaping hole had been knocked in adjacent walls. I recall glimpsing two cupola stacks thru the partially demolished walls. Amidst our group in the car, one of our engineers had done a hitch in the US Peace Corps. He worked on a project in Central or South America to build a diesel powerplant around two used Worthington engines from a powerplant in Ohio. I had rubbed elbows with plenty of Worthington centrifugal pumps and some steam pumps. We both remarked that it was sad to see the ruins of the Worthington plant. I have a steam chest covert from a small Worthington steam pump in my office. It is an iron casting with the bronze plate bearing the Worthington winged insignia. The steam pump had been junked long before, and I found that steam chest cover in a pile of scrap. I also have a much larger Worthington bronze nameplate with that winged insignia. For many years, Worthington was "the" name for centrifugal pumps as well as a major builder of compressors. It seemed like Worthington was dismembered and the name faded rather quickly. I think Worthington had another foundry operation in Harrison, New Jersey. This was their centrifugal pump plant and likely their corporate hub.

I think Worthington had another foundry operation in Harrison, New Jersey. This was their centrifugal pump plant and likely their corporate hub.

You are correct, the Diesel engines your friend set up in Central or South America would have been built at Harrison New Jersey. That plant is mostly standing and is where Machinery Values is located.

Many of the cupola furnaces used in US foundries were designed and built by Whiting. Whiting built cupola furnaces ranging from about 1 ton or iron an hour to some really large capacity furnaces. Blowers were built by other firms and sometimes used Roots-Connersville 'roots blowers'.

Whiting is an interesting firm in their own right. Aside from Cupola furnaces, Whiting made numerous bridge cranes used not only in foundries, but in every imaginable industry. Whiting also made railroad equipment such as 'drop tables' for changing wheelsets on locomotives and rolling stock; powered jacks which lifted locomotives much like today's auto lifts; and the Whiting "Car Mover". This latter is a strange morphrodite of a vehicle which can be driven on pavement or solid ground, then put on rails to spot freight cars. As the demand for cupola furnaces diminished in the USA, Whiting had plenty of other irons in their fire.

One of the hydroelectric plants I worked at and did engineering for dated to 1921. It had a Whiting bridge crane. I called Whiting with the serial number of that crane for information. A lady at Whiting pulled the file on that crane (this was in the 1990's). She gave me a load of information during that initial phone call. No computer files, she went to the file cases and got the file just that quick. She even told me the type lumber and size of it that was used for the catwalk along the crane girder to access the trolleys and machinery. I'd suggest you try contacting Whiting and see if they have any information regarding Worthington/Buffalo.

Also in the 1990's, we were upgrading the 1921 hydroelectric units. A machine shop in Port Colborn, Ontario had the job. For shop inspections, we'd fly from Albany, NY to Buffalo (I know the old song about the Erie Canal, 'One more trip from Albany to Buffalo"). At Buffalo, we'd rent a car and drive into Canada. On one trip, I recall we were driving on some road around Buffalo. We passed the ruins of the old Worthington foundry. The Worthington insignia with the wings was still visible on a brick wall, but a gaping hole had been knocked in adjacent walls. I recall glimpsing two cupola stacks thru the partially demolished walls. Amidst our group in the car, one of our engineers had done a hitch in the US Peace Corps. He worked on a project in Central or South America to build a diesel powerplant around two used Worthington engines from a powerplant in Ohio. I had rubbed elbows with plenty of Worthington centrifugal pumps and some steam pumps. We both remarked that it was sad to see the ruins of the Worthington plant. I have a steam chest covert from a small Worthington steam pump in my office. It is an iron casting with the bronze plate bearing the Worthington winged insignia. The steam pump had been junked long before, and I found that steam chest cover in a pile of scrap. I also have a much larger Worthington bronze nameplate with that winged insignia. For many years, Worthington was "the" name for centrifugal pumps as well as a major builder of compressors. It seemed like Worthington was dismembered and the name faded rather quickly. I think Worthington had another foundry operation in Harrison, New Jersey. This was their centrifugal pump plant and likely their corporate hub
Steve:

Also in the 1990's, we were upgrading the 1921 hydroelectric units. A machine shop in Port Colborn, Ontario had the job. For shop inspections, we'd fly from Albany, NY to Buffalo (I know the old song about the Erie Canal, 'One more trip from Albany to Buffalo"). At Buffalo, we'd rent a car and drive into Canada. On one trip, I recall we were driving on some road around Buffalo. We passed the ruins of the old Worthington foundry. The Worthington insignia with the wings was still visible on a brick wall, but a gaping hole had been knocked in adjacent walls. I recall glimpsing two cupola stacks thru the partially demolished walls. Amidst our group in the car, one of our engineers had done a hitch in the US Peace Corps. He worked on a project in Central or South America to build a diesel powerplant around two used Worthington engines from a powerplant in Ohio. I had rubbed elbows with plenty of Worthington centrifugal pumps and some steam pumps. We both remarked that it was sad to see the ruins of the Worthington plant. I have a steam chest covert from a small Worthington steam pump in my office. It is an iron casting with the bronze plate bearing the Worthington winged insignia. The steam pump had been junked long before, and I found that steam chest cover in a pile of scrap. I also have a much larger Worthington bronze nameplate with that winged insignia. For many years, Worthington was "the" name for centrifugal pumps as well as a major builder of compressors. It seemed like Worthington was dismembered and the name faded rather quickly. I think Worthington had another foundry operation in Harrison, New Jersey. This was their centrifugal pump plant and likely their corporate hub.

Appreciate the info Joe. Thank you!

Joe, There is support for Worthington engines (large ones) and integral compressors from Cooper Industries, along with many other "fallen flags" of the heavy engine and machinery world.

Back