What's new
What's new

OT - Gun Control

Status
Not open for further replies.
''I'd give up everything to keep our kids safe."
Salvador Ramos could easily caused as much or more damage by running his pickup through the side of the school, are we going to give up our guns, pickups, knives, bats, dogs etc because there are a few loose nuts out there? Why are we not looking at ways to get rid of these people that advertise this type of intent before they carry it out, why are we bent on punishing the good people because there are a few bad ones?
Not only that, but with the huge amount of time the police cordon allowed him he could easily have slaughtered as many with a single shot shotgun or rifle. These monsters choose children precisely because they are easy prey and the best way to minimize the damage would have been aggressive action by police.

Simple fact that a bad guy can't be hunting down and slaughtering victims at the same time he's engaging armed police. We need to confront the harsh reality that if we are relinquishing (at least partly) our community defense rights to an armed professional force we have a right to demand that they be as aggressive in the defense of children as their own parents would be. In prior times ordinary people would have rushed into the school armed only with pitchforks if that was all they had on hand at the moment.

We could analyze the data from the present solutions.
And when we do, the result do not lend credit to additional restrictions.

People are still being shot and killed in Australia.
Assault weapons and hi-cap mags are banned in Chicago. You have to have a State issued "FOID" card to buy, or even handle, a gun so backround checks should be pretty solid. Last I checked Chicago has a 72 hours waiting period.

Chicago has just about every law in place that most feel reduce or end gun violence.

Yep. Let's analyse the data, except when you look at Chicago and decide all the crap people think will reduce gun crime simply is not working. So why do people wish to settle political scores with enacting useless laws on top of seemingly other useless laws?

Because: OH. PLEASE DO SOMETHING--EVEN IF OUR RIGHTS ARE SACRIFICED!

Despite the sketchy web address this link will take you to a well documented site regarding Chicago crime...... https://heyjackass.com/

Last edited:
I will trot out my reply that a fellow teacher was into civil war reenactments. He bought a, made in china, Muzzle loading cannon to use at meetings. I think it was roughly 2" bore. I asked and he said the ATF had no special license to own or shoot it.
Bill D
I think you can own a 12" cannon if you can afford one. What Biden said about you could not own a cannon when the 2nd amendment was added is 100% false. Not shocked when a Democrat politician spreads weapons misinformation, but I was shocked the other day when a police chief on TV, of which I forgot his name and location said .223 rounds blow people's limbs off and decapitate them.

Assault weapons and hi-cap mags are banned in Chicago. You have to have a State issued "FOID" card to buy, or even handle, a gun so backround checks should be pretty solid. Last I checked Chicago has a 72 hours waiting period.

Chicago has just about every law in place that most feel reduce or end gun violence.

Yep. Let's analyse the data, except when you look at Chicago and decide all the crap people think will reduce gun crime simply is not working. So why do people wish to settle political scores with enacting useless laws on top of seemingly other useless laws?

Because: OH. PLEASE DO SOMETHING--EVEN IF OUR RIGHTS ARE SACRIFICED!

Despite the sketchy web address this link will take you to a well documented site regarding Chicago crime...... https://heyjackass.com/
Lori Lightfoot says the guns coming in from Indiana are to blame. I wonder how many gun laws those break, I figure minimum of 2 max of 5. In no state can you sell a gun directly to someone out of state, in must go through a licensed dealer in the state the buyer resides in. So most likely the seller and the buyer have broken the law. On top of that I would bet one or both have committed previous crimes that prohibit firearm ownership. Pile on top of that the added gun laws Chicago has that are broken.
What is so hard to understand that criminals don't care about gun laws?

I think you can own a 12" cannon if you can afford one. What Biden said about you could not own a cannon when the 2nd amendment was added is 100% false. Not shocked when a Democrat politician spreads weapons misinformation, but I was shocked the other day when a police chief on TV, of which I forgot his name and location said .223 rounds blow people's limbs off and decapitate them.
The private ownership of cannons is well documented and long known to scholars.

The private ownership of cannons is well documented and long known to scholars.

One my best friends owns around a dozen cannon tubes, at last count.

He has a 12 pounder Spanish cannon with deck carriage on his front porch.

He actually shot the only known French 75 at the veterans day celebration at the home of Alvin York in Tennessee a few years back.

He digs them out of swamps in Louisiana, he saves them from being "archived" at state and national parks, and buys them outright from private owners.

He has put together many competitions , this is just one.
The announcer is the guy I'm talking about.

BTW, he is a Vietnam veteran, an armer, and has a PHD in history.
We've shot in the national matches together three times.

Great guy, and vintage machinery collector to boot.

Not shocked when a Democrat politician spreads weapons misinformation, but I was shocked the other day when a police chief on TV, of which I forgot his name and location said .223 rounds blow people's limbs off and decapitate them.
Well, I shouldn't be shocked (and am not) when a guy who REALLY likes his guns misstates what a high velocity, tumbling .223 round can do to the unarmored human body. With the right circumstances, a round could sever smaller limbs, and remember, a child's neck isn't that big.

Or do you want to get into the semantics of "clips" vs "magazines", and ignore the death toll as a pedant's choice?

What is so hard to understand that criminals don't care about gun laws?
What's so hard about understanding that when a person can drive to the state next door, load up with 20 or more weapons with just a driver's license and a credit card, then drive home and sell the guns for a significant profit that there's going to be more deaths and crime due to those guns?

And how do you stop that? By limiting the purchases, by installing a waiting period to collect those weapons, and by making it a SIGNIFICANT crime with MAJOR penalties (10 years each instance?) to sell guns to unlicensed, unverified buyers.

making it a SIGNIFICANT crime with MAJOR penalties (10 years each instance?) to sell guns to unlicensed, unverified buyers.

Uhm,
Pretty sure that's the law already, or something close to it.

The federal prosecutors don't engage. If you have the proper amount of melatonin in your skin.

Dozens of shootings here in the K.C. area, and you NEVER hear of federal firearms charges or convictions here.

How about Chicago?
How many Federal firearms charges against all of those illegal firearms?
Compare that to the amount of shootings.

This is how the feds drive a narrative to THIER DESIRED CONCLUSION.

Politicians prefer unarmed peasants.

What's so hard about understanding that when a person can drive to the state next door, load up with 20 or more weapons with just a driver's license and a credit card, then drive home and sell the guns for a significant profit that there's going to be more deaths and crime due to those guns?

And how do you stop that? By limiting the purchases, by installing a waiting period to collect those weapons, and by making it a SIGNIFICANT crime with MAJOR penalties (10 years each instance?) to sell guns to unlicensed, unverified buyers.
It is already a violation of federal law and a maximum penalty of up to 10 years can be imposed for each illegal sale which is a separate crime.

The problem as I mentioned earlier is that maximum penalties are seldom imposed and while existing laws are being under-utilized the gun control faction keeps demanding new laws.

Quite a few years ago Boston police, Mass. State Police and the ATF set up a task force to stem the flow of illegal weapons used by gangs. Among the things they did was use laboratory methods to retrieve ground off serial numbers so the guns could be traced. If such an operation were instituted today randomly in various locales across the country it would put a huge dent in illegal sales. So why isn't this being done?

We have an enforcement problem being passed off as a lack of suitable laws.

Your "wink wink" is paid for in blood. Lots of it. And never the shooters, it's always the innocent, the uninvolved. So you're happy to have others pay your price.

And there's no such thing as the ship sailing without the ability to return to a port. Either that, or it sinks...

Our military is under tremendous stress, and at the least our vets are owed good and available health care, including mental health. That we treat our veterans so poorly when they leave the service is a national scandal.

Unless, perhaps, you think "gun therapy" is a proven palliative?

Very cool! So again, like most people you stop at the symptoms, thus you shouldn't expect to change anything for better on a significant level. All you can hope for is marginal improvements, but remember that those will not be free - they will come at a significant political and social cost too. If they come at all that is.

Are these gun toting suicidal veterans taking out mass groups ?

It's an example of a social issue with specific causes and effects. If it's not obvious to you why it's relevant, then perhaps it's not relevant :D

Because they achieved their goal?
Because it’s next to impossible to get Armalites or AK47 type weapons in England. Just get caught owning one of those and it’s very serious jail time. I‘m careful to say England and not the UK because you guys were kind enough to supply the IRA terrorists/freedom fighters in Northern Ireland with plenty of Armalites back in the day.

Regards Tyrone.

I have read that police have to spend a bit of time at the range to practice safe gun use. Go to active shooter drills etc. In fact police cars ingure and kill almost as many people as the guns. No department requires driving lessons after the rookie year.
Bill D

I‘m careful to say England and not the UK because you guys were kind enough to supply the IRA terrorists/freedom fighters in Northern Ireland with plenty of Armalites back in the day.

So we finally have our bad guy to pin the blame on.

Bill Clinton.:cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back